Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: China Radio Haters - Same Old  (Read 36268 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

Off topic but recently brought up: Can anyone give me an intelligent reason for the IGNORE function or for what useful purpose it serves other than a pretty little blue box with a red X to look at that diverts your attention away from side bar advertisements? Thanks

The Ignore Button is used when you can not tolerate an opposing view different from yours.

This button is used when a ham wants to only read his own ideas/opinions affirmed.
If you use an Ignore button on a Poster you will no longer see that posters posts.

Personally I have NEVER used an Ignore button on anyone. I welcome ideas and opinions that are different from mine. Likewise I don't snitch to the moderator either. If it ever comes to the point where I feel a need to Ignore or Report to Moderator I will just give up forums. If you ain't got a thick skin you do not belong on the net posting in ANY forum.

It has been my experience that many say they use the ignore button on K9IUQ but few actually do.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:58:23 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »

Re: K9IUQ  reply #75

Thanks,  I thought that might had something to do with it but wasn't sure. BTW, best response yet.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »

no bones about it China IS our enemy. so buying made in china is supporting the enemy. you wouldn't give money to Osama would you? if you say no to this then you should NOT be giving money to China.

You need to get more recent news from an uncensored unbiased TV network. I hate to break it to you but Osama has met his maker thanks to Mr. Obama.

As far as buying from China, well you better not let your Wife go to Walmart or just about any other store to buy goods.. Stay away from those great China Buffets too...

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:41:12 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »

You need to get more recent news from an uncensored unbiased TV network. I hate to break it to you but Osama has met his maker thanks to Mr. Obama.

Osama is sleeping with the fishes...
WB4IT

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

I have a Baofeng UV5R, and I like it, but I wish the audio was better.  The receive speaker is not great, compared to my FT-60R, and the mic gain and audio quality when transmitting is also poor.  The mic doesn't have the dynamic range of higher quality HTs, but it's okay.  I can always tell when someone is using one, or worse, using one of those awful speaker mics.  Those things sound like you're talking through a layer of foam or you have a sock in your mouth.

My Chinese radio is a backup / cheap spare.  I use it mostly for listening and APRS.  It also needs an S-meter.  But, the battery life is great and they are priced right.  I dunno about using one as a primary radio though.

WB4IT
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »

Interesting - from the upcoming Lord Howe Island DXpedition website -

In the past we already were using VHF handhelds made by Wouxun (http://www.wouxun.com/). These small and cheap devices were not only reliable equipment on our last DXpeditions and enable operations on 2m and 70cm, but also work on Marine frequencies (which was very helpful when going on DXpedition by boat). This time we got a special sponsorship to use some new devices.

http://www.lordhowe2014.org/news/index.php?task=shownews&id=2

WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

Ham radio is a HOBBY.  This means that the money we spend is not (or should not be) needed for the necessities of life.  I think it is fair to say that most of us are value conscious, we seek the "most bang for the buck".  Following this line of reasoning,  Baofeng makes sense.  Granted, the operation is a little different from the YIK (Yaesu Icom Kenwood) convention and furnished instructions are nearly worthless, but good concise accurately translated instructions are available at http://www.miklor.com and probably other places too.  I bought a pair of UV-5R+, one for me one for the XYL (also a ham).  At under $40 each they work adequately.  More important we are not afraid to use them, not afraid of accidentally dropping them or losing them or getting them wet. If replacement is needed, a visit to e-bay, a few mouse clicks, forty dollars, and a new one will be on my doorstep in three days. 
Oh yes, I bought the Baofengs. and they cost $100 LESS than I got from selling a pair of Yaesu VX-6's.
That's value, at least as I see it

WB2EOD 
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 05:44:19 AM »

Ham radio is a HOBBY.  This means that the money we spend is not (or should not be) needed for the necessities of life.  I think it is fair to say that most of us are value conscious, we seek the "most bang for the buck".  Following this line of reasoning,  Baofeng makes sense.  Granted, the operation is a little different from the YIK (Yaesu Icom Kenwood) convention and furnished instructions are nearly worthless, but good concise accurately translated instructions are available at http://www.miklor.com and probably other places too.  I bought a pair of UV-5R+, one for me one for the XYL (also a ham).  At under $40 each they work adequately.  More important we are not afraid to use them, not afraid of accidentally dropping them or losing them or getting them wet. If replacement is needed, a visit to e-bay, a few mouse clicks, forty dollars, and a new one will be on my doorstep in three days. 
Oh yes, I bought the Baofengs. and they cost $100 LESS than I got from selling a pair of Yaesu VX-6's.
That's value, at least as I see it

WB2EOD 

I second that!  It's pretty pathetic that I (or anyone else for that matter) can't even MENTION buying/having a Baofeng or anything else Chinese without the likes of K6LCS (grin grin grin....ad nauseum) getting on the soapbox of why we're wrong, he's right, and God Almighty, the FT-60 is the best damn thing since sliced Wonder bread in a bag!  I have TRIPLE CHILD SUPPORT.  Heavy on the paycheck...let me tell you.  Happy to do my part for my kids.  So, when I had a FEW extra dollars, I spent $25 for a UV3R.  I sold off EVERYTHING that I owned pre-divorce, so...when the chance came to have ANYTHING that I could use to play on the FM LEO satellites, I jumped at it.

Is it the best rig I've ever bought?  Hardly.  Have I made QSOs with it via SO-50?  You bet.  And now, with a TRAM 1185 and a speaker-mic, I use it in my work truck to chat with the locals on 444.000+.

ANYONE...and yes, that includes you Clint...that doesn't care for my or anyone else's choice for buying Chinese can plant their lips in a fairly OBVIOUS place.

Happy Spring Everyone.

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »

Tell me where you can buy American. Just about everything you buy these days is made in China, Mexico, Malaysia, I went to get some tools, all the "Crescent" brand name wrenches were made in china. The only American made tool I could find was Channel Lock. The items from China operated by American compines are pretty decent quality. The China manufactured ham items, most are pretty good. I have an original Wouxun RG-UV2D that I have had a few years now and never had any problem with it. This is the way the world works now. Remember most foreign cars are made in USA now. Think Honda Toyota, KIA, Mercedes. I have a Honda 1100 CC V twin motorcycle made in in USA. We loose some manufacturing to other countries, but we gain manufactures from foreign owners who move manufacturing here.

73s

K2OWK
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

Actually...my Mag-Lite is American, also!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

"Remember most foreign cars are made in USA now"

That's because of the high cost of shipping cars around the world. There is also a difference between "made in the USA" and "assembled in the USA". I'll bet that, just like USA mfgs, most of the component parts are made overseas and shipped to the US where they are assembled.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »

"Remember most foreign cars are made in USA now"

That's because of the high cost of shipping cars around the world. There is also a difference between "made in the USA" and "assembled in the USA". I'll bet that, just like USA mfgs, most of the component parts are made overseas and shipped to the US where they are assembled.

I think the components are made all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia, Mexico...just everywhere.

I can't go by that.  I go by reputation and experience.

As an example, my daughter's VW Jetta was actually made in Mexico, with components from all over.  It's a very interesting automobile with some unique features.

It's also about the least reliable vehicle I've ever encountered.  Almost everything about it is designed to fail, and it has. Tongue
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

I think the components are made all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia, Mexico...just everywhere.

I can't go by that.  I go by reputation and experience.

As an example, my daughter's VW Jetta was actually made in Mexico, with components from all over.  It's a very interesting automobile with some unique features.

It's also about the least reliable vehicle I've ever encountered.  Almost everything about it is designed to fail, and it has. Tongue

My wife's last car was a Chevy HHR (the ones they are now recalling). It was made in Canada. It was also the most  problem prone vehicle we have ever owned. Bought new and it was in the shop for one thing or another every other month. Sometimes for the same problem several different times. Fortunately for us it never had the ignition key problem. It also means I would NEVER buy any GMC product again. An American Company that makes poor products, gets bailed out for bankruptcy from our government with our tax $$, and lies/cover-ups about safety issues for years will never get another dime from me.

After 2 years we traded it on a KIA Soul made in S. Korea.

We have had this car for almost 3 years and it has NEVER been in the shop for any problem. Plus it has a 5 year Bumper to Bumper warranty and 10 yrs on  the engine/tranny.

What this all means is made by an American Company does not necessarily mean good quality, reliability and value. American Made can mean poor quality too. It is a world market and the consumer will buy what is perceived as reliable and value for the $$$. No matter what country makes it.

It is VERY difficult to beat Baofengs value for the $$$ and reliability seems good. I have owned mine for 14 months without issue and know many other hams with a similar experience.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:15:36 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »

Careful, Stan...either CJS, or his cohort, Sivert (grin...looks STUPID, HUH?  GRIN) are going to climb all over your business for being honest.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:26:54 PM by KB2HSH » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

Careful, Stan...either CJS, or his cohort, Sivert are going to climb all over your business for being honest.

I have been flamed, ridiculed, degraded, attacked personally, called names, Ignored and Reported to Moderator by many here on eham over the years for telling the truth..

As said earlier in this thread "I ain't lookin for love." And Mama taught me to never lie.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: