Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI Petition please review  (Read 12245 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

I have created a petition which will if it gets 100,000 signatures, be placed in front of the current the administration for review.  It might actually make a difference! 

It is a request to have the FCC change the way they perform enforcement for RFI problems.  Currently YOU, or your assignee, have to locate the RFI source in order for a letter to go out from the FCC. 

This petition requests that that be changed in a way that forces the FCC to locate the source, and once located ban it from coming back, or being imported again into the US.  If you wish to sign this petition go to:

http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Once it gets 150 signatures, it gets placed in the open on the White House site, in a much more prominent position.  This should then drive more signatures simply because more people will see it and sign. 

Please consider signing this petition.  If you agree, tell your friends, post a link to it in a mail list...  So what you can to get signatures on it please...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »

Don't know how petitions are written, but there seem to be a lot of holes. Maybe needs a looked over by someone in the petition writing field. There are bad EMI devices made in the states.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »

Don't know how petitions are written, but there seem to be a lot of holes. Maybe needs a looked over by someone in the petition writing field. There are bad EMI devices made in the states.

Hopefully you will sign it...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:45:19 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

Well Dave, Good luck on that one.... The FCC won't even police the broadcast radio bands, CB bands, or Ham bands for illegal operation.  What makes you think they will "DO THIER JOB" in any other aspect Huh?

You are talking about Civil Servants WORKING here..... NOT going to HAPPEN !!!!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »

Well Dave, Good luck on that one.... The FCC won't even police the broadcast radio bands, CB bands, or Ham bands for illegal operation.  What makes you think they will "DO THIER JOB" in any other aspect Huh?

You are talking about Civil Servants WORKING here..... NOT going to HAPPEN !!!!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB

Hi Gary,

The FCC is in fact policing Ham, CB, and Broadcast...  I used to work in the Broadcast business, and have seen it, we both can see the fines being put on the Extra Class Ham that was operating in the CB bands recently...   The idea of this petition is only to get the issue of RFI some coverage in a way which might get someone with the ability to affect the problem looking at it.  Do I expect to see the FCC out in droves enforcing RFI rules, nope, but maybe putting this in front of someone will affect a vote that keeps an offending device off the market, etc.  I do know that if nothing is done, then I can expect nothing back...

Please consider signing the petition located at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Thanks,
Dave
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »

Good idea. Something has to be done about all the equipment with fraudulent EMC and other test standards markings. The importers should  be heavily find and they should take responsibility for the equipment that they import. They should also be sure that there does comply with EMC and other safety standards. If a product kills  someone they would have their pants sued off, but if there equipment is below standards and causes interference nobody does anything. If we have standards they should be enforced.

Every piece of equipment even brand names are being caught out by the huge fraudulent EMC standard testing in china. Its just once big farce.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »

Good idea. Something has to be done about all the equipment with fraudulent EMC and other test standards markings. The importers should  be heavily find and they should take responsibility for the equipment that they import. They should also be sure that there does comply with EMC and other safety standards. If a product kills  someone they would have their pants sued off, but if there equipment is below standards and causes interference nobody does anything. If we have standards they should be enforced.

Every piece of equipment even brand names are being caught out by the huge fraudulent EMC standard testing in china. Its just once big farce.

Thank you for the support.  It has been a real education to see the attitudes people display.

Please consider signing the petition located at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Thanks,
Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »

It's a good idea, but a long shot at best.  The reason?  The FCC is looking to reduce their costs of operating, and anything that would increase those costs is not going to be look at favorably by the lawyers and politicians that actually run the FCC!
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »

the FCC is not going to do anything about RFI to ham radios.

I have been there and they have no interest when I tell them my neighbors LED lights and other RF emitters are knocking my HF and 6 meter receivers out.

They did nada when I said the neighbors whirlpool washing machine was killing all of my receivers from 1.8 to 225 MHz, something about a WHITE GOODS exemption and as for LED lighting with poorly designed switchers that are reminiscent of spark gap transmitters, what are they going to do, make my neighbors replace their LED lights and other unintentional RF emitters with noise free incandescent lights and such?

Just give up on this idea, we are supposed to find ways to live and deal with it ourselves instead of asking a understaffed Gov't. agency for help.

Once we start whining they will see us as open game to steal more frequencies from.

And Zenki makes a valid point about manufacturers and fraudulently certified equipment but unfortunately the FCC now wants to relinquish all of their responsibility as to certification over to individual, non FCC controlled, private  labs which we all know are biased towards the manufacturers of this junk polluting the airwaves, after all the equipment mfg's are the bread and butter of the private TCB labs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:26:28 AM by WB8VLC » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »

It's a good idea, but a long shot at best.  The reason?  The FCC is looking to reduce their costs of operating, and anything that would increase those costs is not going to be look at favorably by the lawyers and politicians that actually run the FCC!

I fear you are dead on, but I am one of those people that needs to try!  Smiley 

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »

Respectively I must disagree with you on a number of points here:
the FCC is not going to do anything about RFI to ham radios.
I know for a fact that is not true, I am not sure which FCC you are dealing with, but I have had nothing but good dealings with them.  They have been timely, reasonable, and effective.  See note later for an example.

They did nada when I said the neighbors whirlpool washing machine was killing all of my receivers from 1.8 to 225 MHz, something about a WHITE GOODS exemption and as for LED lighting with poorly designed switchers that are reminiscent of spark gap transmitters, what are they going to do, make my neighbors replace their LED lights and other unintentional RF emitters with noise free incandescent lights and such?
I had an incident a year or so ago, where a neighbor very close to my home had a Zenon lamp, using one of those imported from China switchers.  40 Watts.  It wiped out my radio from 160 through 10 Meters, and it was on 90% of the time.  I did my homework, did a number of power on/off tests, DFed the RFI, spoke to the neighbor, etc.  The neighbor basically said too bad, he would not change a thing...  I sent my documentation to the FCC, (many pages), and a letter was sent to neighbor in very short order.  The RFI stopped within two weeks of my sending data to the FCC.  I have seen nothing but good from the FCC, and the ARRL when it comes to RFI, IF and only IF I do my homework, and take careful notes. 

Just give up on this idea, we are supposed to find ways to live and deal with it ourselves instead of asking a understaffed Gov't. agency for help.
No!  I will not give up!  I expect my Government to perform certain functions, and if they don't I will gripe about them to my Government.  Giving up only INSURES the statuesque will continue.  That is wrong, and I will have no part in it.  That is how we ended up in the sad state we are in today...  If every single person voiced their opinions in an intelligent way things would be different.

Once we start whining they will see us as open game to steal more frequencies from.
Wow...  You are the second person I have seen post here who is afraid of the Government...  That is sad...

And Zenki makes a valid point about manufacturers and fraudulently certified equipment but unfortunately the FCC now wants to relinquish all of their responsibility as to certification over to individual, non FCC controlled, private  labs which we all know are biased towards the manufacturers of this junk polluting the airwaves, after all the equipment mfg's are the bread and butter of the private TCB labs.
You may be correct here, but that is not a reason to just cave in as you are doing... 

Please consider signing the petition at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Thanks,
Dave
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »

I'm not caving in,

I was attempting to  deal with Portland with the assistance of the local ARRL reps and I use assistance lightly, I never received a reply from anybody about a complaint of excessive RFI from 28 to 54 MHz so that's why I'm a non believer.

I have heard of other hams, years ago, having the FCC help with getting rid of all the baby monitors and wireless TV devices on the low end of 6 meters but I have had no luck at getting any help from anyone on my S9 plus RFI issue here in Salem and I know others who gave up on HF and 6 meters because of this.

If the FCC wants to come to the south side of Salem Oregon and sweep the area they will find numerous TV audio extenders and other garbage putting RFI out from 28 to 54 MHz and beyond and I would welcome them but I know it will never happen simply because they would be putting companies like WalMart that sell this garbage out of business.

I'm just facing the reality that the FCC, the ARRL and every other useless organization doesn't care about nor do any of them want to address consumer interference to amateur radio.

It is always the ham that causes the interference and never the other way around but now there is no turning back, we have the proliferation of consumer junk and I don't see it going away soon.

And when I speak of the FCC I'm not talking about the FCC field engineers either as they are hard working people but their bosses are the individuals who don't want them tracking down the RFI to the hams or even opening up a can of worms about consumer garbage RFI.

If we were a big Cellular company yes, they would protect us in a heart beat but we are simply small fish, bottom feeders in their eyes with no rights.

re your comment:Wow...  You are the second person I have seen post here who is afraid of the Government...  That is sad...

fear never, mistrust, yes 100 % I expect no help from police or any other local, state or federal government agency, they are all 9 to 5 workers and nothing else.

I'll tell you what if I can turn on my HF receivers some day and not have a constant S9 plus noise level then I'll sign your petition but I don't see any agency going to solve any of my RFI issues.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:32:18 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »

Hi again,
Thank you for reconsidering, I truly appreciate your taking the time to do so!  You are a gentlemen and it is a pleasure to deal with you here!  

I'm just facing the reality that the FCC, the ARRL and every other useless organization doesn't care about nor do any of them want to address consumer interference to amateur radio.
I honestly disagree with you.  Here is why-- the ARRL just got some of the Grow Light power supplies pulled from Sears, a retailer in Seattle, and the importer in CA.  They spent a bit of time testing a few devices, showed that they were really bad for RFI, prepared a lab report for the FCC, and then sent it to the FCC.  Within a few days of the ARRL publishing the report, all three vendors had removed that pretculer device from their on line catalogs.

It is always the ham that causes the interference and never the other way around but now there is no turning back, we have the proliferation of consumer junk and I don't see it going away soon.
Respectively I disagree with the first part of what you said, but I agree with the last part...  Both the ARRL and the FCC know that the Amateur Radio Service is being interfered with, and badly of late.  This I know because the ARRL just got a device pulled from a major vendor, Sears!  Bravo for the ARRL in this!  Now it will be interesting to see what the FCC does with the study!  Which brings me to agreeing with you on not seeing the consumer junk being removed quickly enough...  I wish I did not agree with you on that point, but alas, I am forced to agree with you.

I'll tell you what, I'll go over and sign it but I hope there is a section where I can leave a grade mark for every useless agency that let the RFI issue get so out of hand because I want to give the FCC, the ARRL and some others a triple F grade mark.
Again, thank you for reconsidering the signature thing!  Also, I hope you find a spot to grade them all.  It is only through that sort of thing that the FCC will see what is truly needed.

Thanks again!!  Here is the URL to sign the petition
http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Thanks,
Dave
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »

ok I said I would and I did; however I'm still looking for a comment section so I can give certain agencies that triple F grade.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »

It looks like we only need about 3,843 signatures per day for the next 26 days in order to get the White House to look at it  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: