Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI Petition please review  (Read 9655 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

Yeah, well, I signed it today.  Even if I believe it's a long shot, if it has any sort of chance, I figure it's worth it.  BTW, I was #80.  Only a few thousand left to go....
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »

It looks like we only need about 3,843 signatures per day for the next 26 days in order to get the White House to look at it  Wink

Yup, but if we get another 50 signatures, it gets listed in the main index at whitehouse.gov, and anyone looking for telecom petitions will see it in that list...  That WILL put it in front of people that do things telecom.  If it hits 100K sigs I would be floored.  All I want it to do is to hit the index, once it does that I suspect we will start seeing more sigs, how many is anyone's guess.  As I have said all along, the goal is to just get the issue some PR.  I know if we do nothing, it won't get better.  I know if we do something along the lines of addressing this issue, it might get better...  I will choose the path that might help, as opposed to the path I know won't help.  Also, thank you for signing assuming you did.  If not, please consider it, then all that will be needed to get it on the index are 49 others...  It is located at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Thank you!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »

Yeah, well, I signed it today.  Even if I believe it's a long shot, if it has any sort of chance, I figure it's worth it.  BTW, I was #80.  Only a few thousand left to go....
Thank you!  You pretty well summed up my feelings as well...  It is a long shot, but I do believe that some of the political folks look at the petitions that hit the index... That is why I am stumping for every sig possible...  Once it hits the index, it passes the smell test, and gains a bit more legitimacy.

Again, THANK YOU very much for signing the petition. 

Thanks,
Dave
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »

I signed it a few days ago. 100K seems like a long shot for a rather limited audience but it is certainly worth a shot.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »

If the FCC wants to come to the south side of Salem Oregon and sweep the area they will find numerous TV audio extenders and other garbage putting RFI out from 28 to 54 MHz and beyond and I would welcome them but I know it will never happen simply because they would be putting companies like WalMart that sell this garbage out of business.
I live in Eugene, and myself and another Ham in the area will be happy to drive to Salem and help you triangulate on a few of the RFI issues you have.  We have all the needed equipment, and Salem is not that far from here.  We will even pay for the gas!  We have a handout we can place on the door, and/or speak to the folks using these devices.  We have had reasonable good luck in getting RFI sources to either move, or shutdown.    If you are serious about this, send me email off list and I can arrange a time to drive up there.  

fear never, mistrust, yes 100 % I expect no help from police or any other local, state or federal government agency, they are all 9 to 5 workers and nothing else.\
I don't fully disagree with you here, I also distrust many of the individuals in the Government, a good number of them are self serving money grubbers, but-- I have also see some very good Government people, people that actually do care.  Not many, and not often, but make no mistake about it, they are there.  This sort of petition gives them something to carry on with, if this happens to be their chosen cause.  They then see people that care, which helps them.  I always give them the benefit of a doubt.

I'll tell you what if I can turn on my HF receivers some day and not have a constant S9 plus noise level then I'll sign your petition but I don't see any agency going to solve any of my RFI issues.
My offer to come assist in tracking down the RFI you are hearing is still on the table.  I am serious about it, two of us can be there within a week or so, with equipment in hand.  I will help prep the paperwork to send to the FCC and you can send it, and then see what happens...  Let me know off line if you would like us to assist.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:10:47 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »

The LAST thing I want is for the government to be spending MORE money on trivial matters.  If a radio issue REALLY bothers me that much, I WILL do MY part to assist in resolving it OR I will tolerate the situation without whining.
Government ON ALL LEVELS needs to CUT spending NOT try to find every place they can to SPEND MORE of it.
I am not a big fan of school levies, and I have no children, but I think I would be more inclined to support those than some trivial issue such as this.  The US is NO LONGER a wealthy country and the austerity programs that have raised so much havoc in Europe will be coming here soon enough.  May as well get used to it with the "small stuff".
Tom
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »

I am fine with my taxes being used to reduce RFI and I don't believe government needs to "cut back on all levels". Give NASA (and some other agencies) more funding. Provide the FCC and other agencies the money they need for enforcement. Sure we need to cut back on defense spending, but austerity is not the answer if we want a growing economy. We can cut the national budget deficit without harsh austerity programs. Ask Bill Clinton.

And I signed the petition too.  It can't hurt.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »

And I signed the petition too.  It can't hurt.

Thank you for signing!  It now has 83, and needs a few more to get to 150!

Anyone who has not signed please consider signing the petition located at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Dave

Thanks,
Dave
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 03:16:18 AM »

The LAST thing I want is for the government to be spending MORE money on trivial matters.  If a radio issue REALLY bothers me that much, I WILL do MY part to assist in resolving it OR I will tolerate the situation without whining.
Government ON ALL LEVELS needs to CUT spending NOT try to find every place they can to SPEND MORE of it.
I am not a big fan of school levies, and I have no children, but I think I would be more inclined to support those than some trivial issue such as this.  The US is NO LONGER a wealthy country and the austerity programs that have raised so much havoc in Europe will be coming here soon enough.  May as well get used to it with the "small stuff".
Tom

I think you're right on not using tax money to fund stepped up enforcement of already existing FCC regulations that pertain to amateur radio. This activity could be funded through an amateur radio user fee. Let's run some (very) hypothetical numbers.

Pulling numbers out of the air, one out of ten U.S. amateurs operates HF regularly. And one out of five of this group has a noise problem and will call on the FCC every year. Each case costs $2500 to resolve making the cost per U.S. amateur, and the license user fee, $50 per year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:23:00 AM by WX7G » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 05:40:05 AM »

I think you're right on not using tax money to fund stepped up enforcement of already existing FCC regulations that pertain to amateur radio. This activity could be funded through an amateur radio user fee. Let's run some (very) hypothetical numbers.

Pulling numbers out of the air, one out of ten U.S. amateurs operates HF regularly. And one out of five of this group has a noise problem and will call on the FCC every year. Each case costs $2500 to resolve making the cost per U.S. amateur, and the license user fee, $50 per year.

Before you even try suggesting that, remember that any and all fees collected by the FCC go straight into the general fund.  They do NOT go into any sort of FCC coffer--because there isn't any!

If you want to try selling something like that, work on getting the general laws changed first, so that those fees WILL go to enforcement and not to some senator's or representative's 'pork barrel' projects!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 06:15:15 AM »

Looking at this petition, from the perspective of unintended consequences, the FCC may choose the simple way out - cut their losses and drop Amateur Radio entirely. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »

KG4RUL, I was thinking the same thing. My user fee post is to encourage discussion of N0YXB's point about who's to pay for added enforcement.

The FCC sacrificed the amateur radio service to bring BPL to the masses. Next the FCC is allowing billions of 120 VAC LED lamps into our homes without having reduced their conducted EMI noise limits. And to deal with what the FCC sees as a bigger problem - the problem of AM BC coverage area being reduced by the rising MF noise floor - the solution being looked at is not reducing the noise but increasing AM transmitter power. So, the urban HF noise floor will continue to rise with the full approval of the FCC.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:48:30 AM by WX7G » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »

The FCC sacrificed the amateur radio service to bring BPL to the masses. Next the FCC is allowing billions of 120 VAC LED lamps into our homes without having reduced their conducted EMI noise limits. The urban HF noise floor will continue to rise with the full approval of the FCC. This tells us where we stand in the eyes of the FCC.

I somehow don't feel I was "sacrificed" to bring in BPL, in fact we don't have any BPL anywhere, that I am aware of around here, (I am sure it exists someplace, but I have no idea where), and I seem to remember the FCC shutting down BPL operations based on RFI issues reported by Hams and the ARRL...  In fact see: http://www.arrl.org/news/bpl-provider-ibec-announces-shutdown.  The BPL vendor decided to shutdown itself.  I am sure that having the ARRL pester them to death, (literally),  and thank you ARRL, was a factor in the decision to not recover from the weather events...  Lets see, they still supply power, they still have power lines to the same places...  Just not BPL, seems to me that was a cover for a way to get out of the business and not admit they were wrong.  Again, many thanks to the ARRL for pestering them out of existence!  I do not mean that in a bad way, I am truly grateful to the ARRL for taking the time and work to go to bat for us all in this.

Do I disagree with you about the FCC...  Not really, in general the Amateur community is not an important service for them.  All of this is why we SHOULD start making noise about this sort of thing, not why we should hide and worry that we will be shut down, and our toys taken from us like little children because the FCC might get mad at us...  

Yes, the LED light bulb thing worries me as well...  We will have to see how that one turns out...  Yet another reason consider signing the petition at: http://wh.gov/lpz5Y
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:06:07 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »

Looking at this petition, from the perspective of unintended consequences, the FCC may choose the simple way out - cut their losses and drop Amateur Radio entirely.  
If that were true the CB service would have been gone decades ago, that service has cost the FCC lots in problems generated over the past few decades.  I don't think the FCC killing Amateur Radio is an issue to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:06:17 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »

Why does this petition address only interference to amateur radio? Consumers experience interference to television and radio reception. And commercial services experience interference to their two-way communications. The FCC regulations that the petition addresses apply to all users, both commercial and non-commercial. So, might this petition address interference to all users of the radio spectrum?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:16:33 PM by WX7G » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: