Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I "bend" a Larsen 270 with out breaking it?  (Read 2597 times)
KK4YTM

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »

I have a Larsen 270 on my wife's Civiv. When you open the trunk lid a little, it is spring loaded and immediately opens to the full open position and stays there til you manually move it to just short of the latched position. At a static position with truck closed, it has a very slight forward tilt. Since the mount is not adjustable, can I kill 2 birds with one bend? When the trunk fully opend the coils on the vertical hit roof just sbove the rear window. Wife is not happy. So can I safely bend it a couple degrees at most just as it comes out of the base(where the set screws are), this should provide clearance?  Tks 
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:30:13 AM »

The only issue I've ever encountered is with plated or painted whips if you bend them too far in one spot the coating could flake off.  Electrically you can bend them quite a bit before you affect anything much.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:56 AM »

>> ... wife is not happy ...

Does she NEED that antenna? Larsen offers a "shorter" version of their 2/70 that is
a good performer. HRO has them: NMO-2/70SH.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:46:42 AM »

If the whip section you're trying to bend has been hardened, when you start to bend it it will probably snap off.  The lower section of a lot of the mobile antennas are that way.  Gentle heating of the rod with a propane torch may help, but you've got to take the coils off the rod section before you try it.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »

I've bent a Larsen Kul-Rod whip perhaps 10 or 15 degrees without snapping by clamping it in the padded jaws of a bench vise and going slow and easy.  Scratching it or scribing a mark at the bend location, and/or using forceful bending motion will cause the whip to snap.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »

It is going to look dorky. The wife is never going to like it. There are other shorter alternatives that will probably work
as efficiently for repeater ops.

Can it be done? Sure. SHOULD it be done - for not only performance's sake but for the sake of the relationship? Maybe not ...

(grin)

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »

In days gone bye, I've installed and adjusted ordinary stainless steel whips on aircraft.  Following manufacturer's instructions they were supposed to be heated to red hot with a torch before bending.  This prevented work hardening, cracking and associated risk of falling off in flight. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: