Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 repeaters, same freq, one open, one toned, will toned open and "open" repeater  (Read 13088 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »

Sorry to stir up a mess here. I was originally interested from a technical stand point and a way to improve my limited memory. As a newbie, I was not aware of causing a potential problem. And I just realized I left out a potentially important piece of info, I am using a 5 watt handheld.  Tks for all the replies

You didn't stir up a mess.  Someone else did.  Someone who thinks they own rights to just about everything--including frequency pairs assigned to a repeater--even though amateur frequencies are for the use of any licensed ham.  You asked a legitimate question.  You looked to further your knowledge.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

That missing info was a bit important, but not that much.  Even though there may be an outside possibility that you could hit the distant repeater, several things have to come together for it to actually happen, and the actuality of all those things happening is less than a tenth of one percent!  If you're putting out only four or five watts, don't even worry about it.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »

For most people this whole issue is moot.  How many CS repeaters still exist?  I know of NONE is my area.  ALL the repeaters that I frequent and all that I have tried to access require tone.  I would imagine that the same is true for most areas of the country except, maybe, in some of the more isolated regions of the country.  I can't speak to the motives of the "complainer" but, from the tone of some of his comments, I would guess that "authority" issues play a part.  Just a guess, though.
Tom
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »

It's not 1972 and you have to pull the vibrasponder reed out of the Motrac
in the trunk, is it?

On a modern vhf/uhf mobile radio,  just hit the tone button in that memory
to temporarily disable it for carrier squelch.  Seriously, you're not re-writing
the memory channel. Just switch to the next memory channel and back to
use the memory with tone again.

OK, lets try something less "technical" than pushing a button. Write the carrier
squelch repeater in the vfo or call channel slot?

2014 and people still have carrier squelch repeaters.....................................
KK4YTM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 04:43:43 AM »

KB2VUQ. The radio (HT) is channelized, nothing except power(H/L), sql and vol can be changed from it's limited keypad. Frequencies, tones and offsets must be programmed in with a PC.  It's a Marine radio(High Standard HX400) with 40 open mem slots for LMR(136-174). It's use for ham frequecies prompted me & my wife to get our Tech license to extend it usefulness. And soon we will probably add a real HAM radio with bells and whisltes to play with.
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »

Well, I've been in the repeater game a loooong time and I agree with NJ1K.
Most ops just don't understand the repeater systems.
LOTS of ops don't care if they are interferring with others.
But, NJ1K is totally correct
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 05:19:51 AM »

Let's be realistic here.  Was it seen that the two repeaters are located over 150 miles apart and the poster is using a low wattage handheld transceiver?  True, if the interference were constant (ie: every time a person was on the air, and he didn't care) there would be an issue, but the question asked wasn't about that.  It was simply about using a low power transceiver with limited memory spaces for two repeaters over 150 miles apart on the same frequency pair. 

There is absolutely no way that the use of that transceiver is going to cause continual interference on the distant one--except in rare instances, and every repeater experiences that once in a while.  The idea that a repeater owner has an absolute right to an interference free frequency pair is absurd.  As someone said already, amateur radio is a shared service, and no one amateur has any special rights over another.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: