Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Rookie Roundup  (Read 11496 times)
NZ9C

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »

I started the Ham journey last April. This April I think I'm going to try contesting with the ARRL Rookie Roundup. What was clear is ARRL is asking more experienced Hams to open their stations up to rookies. I'm probably going to use the club station, but do I use my call? Yes, dumb question but when I use the club station, I use the club call.

Richard
AJ7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »

There's no such thing as a dumb question unless I ask it Smiley.  Use the club call and the club will be a good place to get some contest tutelage. 

73 Randy AJ7G 
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »

Use the club call and the club will be a good place to get some contest tutelage. 

73 Randy AJ7G 

I have the same question (except my club requires me to use the club call).

But then how do the contesters get credit for a rookie (as opposed to a non-rookie) contact?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »

You are entering as a rookie operator... and whether you are rookie or not depends only on your operators license, not on the station call or license. (rule 3.1.1. Rookie entries are limited to operators who received their first amateur license during the current year or preceding two calendar years. )

If anyone is confused as to whether you count as rookie or not, just explain you are using the club call and you are a rookie operator.

Also note there are officially designated CQ styles depending on whether you count as a rookie or not. In past RR's I haven't seen these "styles" being used all that effectively but it seems simple enough:

3.1.4. Rookie stations are encouraged to identify themselves as a Rookie station by calling “CQ RR” on CW or RTTY and “CQ Rookie Roundup” on SSB.

3.4. Non-Rookies may call CQ but may only work Rookie  stations in the contest. Non-Rookie stations should call “CQ Rookie” on SSB and “CQ R” on RTTY or CW.

After you get RR under your belt, be sure you try out the North American CQ Party (NAQP) which also has simple exchange and is very fun whether you are a rookie or not! http://ncjweb.com/naqp/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:23:40 AM by N3QE » Logged
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

I'm not talking about me getting credit; I'm not planning to enter the contest; I just want to work it as a learning experience.

I don't plan to submit any logs (although I'll keep a station log for the club).

I clearly qualify as a rookie (got my licenses last year), but if I use the club call, how does the contester get credit for a rookie-rookie contact if I answer their call using the club callsign?

(And thanks for the http://ncjweb.com/naqp/)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »

I clearly qualify as a rookie (got my licenses last year), but if I use the club call, how does the contester get credit for a rookie-rookie contact if I answer their call using the club callsign?

Rookie roundup is a little different than typical contest, nobody submits a log. But as you work others make sure they know you are a rookie operator, and you can still do the score summary thing as a rookie: http://www.b4h.net/arrlrr/rr_scoresubmission.php
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:21:52 AM by N3QE » Logged
NZ9C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

I'm not talking about me getting credit; I'm not planning to enter the contest; I just want to work it as a learning experience.

I don't plan to submit any logs (although I'll keep a station log for the club).

I'm like you, got my license last year, but I'm going to use the club station and call. I contacted ARRL, and was told I would get credit. We need to follow the rules:
3.1.4. Rookie stations are encouraged to identify themselves as a Rookie station by calling “CQ RR” on CW or RTTY and “CQ Rookie Roundup” on SSB.
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:31 AM »

I'm like you, got my license last year, but I'm going to use the club station and call. I contacted ARRL, and was told I would get credit. We need to follow the rules:

The question wasn't about calling as much as it was about replying.  My club station's a museum ship; I was wondering how a rookie who called me would get credit for a rookie-rookie contact.

But N3QE has explained that nobody submits a log, so I gather there's no verification; just telling contacts I'm a rookie (e.g. Contact from Club station, Name, check 13, State,) should suffice.

Nobody's going to check the database for the Club station callsign to determine when it was issued.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »

It's pretty simple... if they give you an exchange year of 12, 13, or 14, they are a rookie and you count them as such. Anything else is a non-rookie contact.

The same is true on their end - they'll get rookie credit based on the year you give them in the exchange.

In the log summary, you'd simply note the number or rookie contacts and the number of non-rookie contacts.
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »

I participated this year.  Licensed in Sept 2013, Extra in Oct.  This was my first contest from the inside if you will.  It was amazingly difficult even working slowly with minimal pile-ups.  The coordination is quite a skill that I don't fully have.  I had a foot switch, but kept grabbing the pickle switch instead... darn!  Tip of my thumb is actually sore and I only made just over 60 contacts.  Of course, I did a little more talking than the typical 59-59/73 contact.  I wanted to hear about the others experiences with the contest etc. Met a fellow named Oliver who was licensed in 1935.  Amazing!

I am not sure if contesting will be a regular part of my ham experiences, but it was a blast this time.

I know this did nto answer the OPs question... but it seemed like a logical place to post this. (I think)

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
AJ7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »

but it was a blast this time

As long as you had fun, that's all that counts!  The more you contest the easier it becomes.

73 Randy AJ7G
NZ9C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »

I too had a blast. I was on 20M for the majority of the time I was operating. I did a few calls on 15M, but didn't have a lot of success there. I made about 10 QSOs, mainly pouncing when another ham called CQ. Nice contest. I may have the equipment to do RTTY when that contest comes around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: