Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My buying experience and serial number  (Read 3789 times)
VA3UT

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »

Last year in 2013, I bought a Kenwood radio from a guy in Las Vegas and his logic was a little strange.  He claimed that the radio should be less than a year old, so I bought it as I was looking for a late production of the same radio.  When I received it, I checked the serial number and it was found to be of production of 1999 based on the information I found on-line.

I asked him why the serial number was from 1999 while he claimed that the radio was actually a year old.  Many e-mails were exchanged, and he changed his story as it might have been sitting on the store shelf for many years before the first owner bought it.  That means that he wasn't the first owner and doesn't have clear purchase date of the radio.  His story was hard to believe and he seemed to be working in ham radio retail business.  It would be a huge surprise if he didn't know the relationship between production year and serial number as a guy selling ham radio equipment.  My conclusion is that he knew it was 4 years old but used intentionally wrong description to attract more potential buyers.

My question here is, is it common to see brand new radios from HRO or AES that are actually 3~4 years old?  Many of us including me are really picky about production years of a radio, so I wouldn't be happy if I buy a brand new radio from AES that is actually from 1999 or 2000.

Chris VA3UT
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »

Good question. I have always wondered about whether a radio is latest in production line. They can and do some minor and major changes. It bothers me not to know if they are major or minor.
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

Hi, I have had that issue many a time but first I must point out that based on what you are saying the radio is actually 13 or so years old! That being said I ask for the serial number so I can actually see how old the unit is because many times a seller will say something and let's just be nice and say that they could be "mistaken". Also, if I am told a radio is less then a year old I ask to see a copy of the receipt to verify because it should still be under warranty if what they are saying is true. Bottom line, do your due diligence so you know what you are buying.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
VA3UT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »

A minor correction in the original post.  The 'from 1999 or 2000' should change to 'from 2009 or 2010'.  I mixed up with dates big time.  LOL

I agree that I had to check the serial number before I bought it.  I trusted him too much as he seemed to know what he was doing, but that wasn't the case.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »

A minor correction in the original post.  The 'from 1999 or 2000' should change to 'from 2009 or 2010'.  I mixed up with dates big time.  LOL

I agree that I had to check the serial number before I bought it.  I trusted him too much as he seemed to know what he was doing, but that wasn't the case.

Thanks!  I was scratching my head trying to figure out how you got 4 years out of 1999 to 2013.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »

When I bought my FT-897 new, the dealer gave me a special price because it was an older serial number. Because I bought it from a dealer, there were no questions with the warranty or anything else because my paperwork from the dealer was all in order. And it saved me $100 on the purchase price.

The way it was explained to me was that another dealer had gone out of business, and their inventory of new equipment was accepted back by Yaesu. Yaesu in turn made them available at a lower cost to move them from their inventory, and my dealer passed on the savings to me.

So in theory my radio was 2 years old when I purchased it new. So the manufacturing date and the sales date can be significantly different.

It may or may not be the normal way of doing business, but it was my experience.
K4LJP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »

Many smaller but reputable dealers may have brand new old stock siting on their shelves for many years. I have found many of great deals from even more grateful dealers, that way. Warantees were usually never an issue............Lee, K4LJP
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »

Some years back, in the 80's and 90's, many radio manufacturers went to randomly generated serial numbers.

They were trying to curtail the "I got one of the first ..." or "I got one of the last ..." attitudes prevalent at that time in ham radio.

N9LCD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: