Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tr-751a mic upgrades from stock  (Read 778 times)
K4NZB

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

I not long ago bought this radio. Like what it 's receiver hears on ssb. The out put  is only 2 to 5 watts with the stock mic. If i whitsle into the mic it does up to 15 watts. The fm side does the 5 to 25 watts fine. So what can I do to get the ssb side perked up?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:42:52 PM by K4NZB » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »

Something is not right. The stock mic should give you roughly 100W on SSB. Changing the mic will only likely change your tone.

Try whistling in a dummy load. If you are putting out only 5 watts, you could have anything from mic gain too low, to RF power know turned down, to failure of the finals. It sounds like that the FM is doing as it should, so I would rule out a finals issue.
K4NZB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »

This radio only can work 5 to 25 watts. so the ssb side is not driven enough to drive the ssb side properly with the stock mic. From what I have seen. The watt meter/dummy load conferms the differance from ssb and fm. Fm is 5 to 25 ,ssb is 1 to 5 just talking into the mike. If i whistel (spelling) it will try to get to 15 or so watts.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:52:09 PM by K4NZB » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »

I had a TR-751A for years and this is about the way they work.  I suspect "nothing" at all is wrong with yours.

It does not have a mike gain control (!) and it also does not include any speech processing, which we are used to having on HF rigs.  My thought is if you change the microphone it will still behave the same way.

It was "way more than enough" to drive my homebrew P-P 4CX250Bs in a kilowatt amplifier to full power, so I had to keep it on the lower power setting for that. Wink
K4NZB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »

it just sems funny that fm and ssb are not doing the same out put.
K4NZB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »

One suggestion was to add a power mic. I may just add the 1-5 watt input amp, which will give me 80 watts out. I have a older boomer 14 element that I restored back in 2006 which with the lower ssb out put seems to work very well together. So I may leave things alone. Just add the smaller amp. Thanks for the information.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: