Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing XP after support ends: WGA Validation  (Read 6325 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »

Installing XP after support ends: WGA Validation

Suppose you have to reinstall XP on your computer. Or found some used computers with valid XP COA's and want to throw XP on them. But support for Windows XP officially ended, what will happen with Windows Genuine Advantage Validation?

Is WGA for XP going to end too?  If so, how can you continue to run XP after 30 days without a WGA Validation ...unless one uses a "crack" ?

I know the obvious answer is to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. For those who want to keep a XP machine for programs that only run on XP, or the computer hardware can't run Win 7 or 8. Upgrading the machine, or switching to Linux is not an option.

Thanks in advance...

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »

Suppose you have to reinstall XP on your   computer. Or found some used computers with valid XP COA's and want to throw XP on them. But support for Windows XP officially ended, what will happen with Windows Genuine Advantage Validation?

Is WGA for XP going to end too?  If so, how can you continue to run XP after 30 days without a WGA Validation ...unless one uses a "crack" ?

I know the obvious answer is to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. For those who want to keep a XP machine for programs that only run on XP, or the computer hardware can't run Win 7 or 8. Upgrading the machine, or switching to Linux is not an option.

Thanks in advance...

You will likely not even to install security updates of record. Your best bet here is to make a image backup copy of a working install. As long as it is a same hardware no validation is needed. Honestly though time to move on to Vista or 7 because it what is point of a Oas that cannot be used on Net because it is a security risk.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »

Thanks in advance...
Honestly though time to move on to Vista or 7 because it what is point of a Oas that cannot be used on Net because it is a security risk.

The plan is to use XP for programs that do not require the internet. For instance, ham radio uses, audio/visual, word programs and other uses. Some of these programs are still useful and will not run on anything higher than XP. 

Despite all the wonderful new technology in 2014. Some people are still using DOS and Windows 3.11, 95 and 98 machines just to play old games and run old but still useful (to them) programs.

I have two Windows 98 machines that still work. I'm not sure I could even run puppy Linux on them. But Win 98 runs fine and I can use these for some packet radio setups.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »

Thanks in advance...
Honestly though time to move on to Vista or 7 because it what is point of a Oas that cannot be used on Net because it is a security risk.

The plan is to use XP for programs that do not require the internet. For instance, ham radio uses, audio/visual, word programs and other uses. Some of these programs are still useful and will not run on anything higher than XP. 

Despite all the wonderful new technology in 2014. Some people are still using DOS and Windows 3.11, 95 and 98 machines just to play old games and run old but still useful (to them) programs.

I have two Windows 98 machines that still work. I'm not sure I could even run puppy Linux on them. But Win 98 runs fine and I can use these for some packet radio setups.

If you move to 64 bit Vista or 7 with 8 gig or more RAM and a strong CPU you could run Virtual Machine software and run your XP Win9x or even DOS at same time on the Host Machine while Vista or 7 is running show in back ground. This concept has been around for many years.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

Suppose you have to reinstall XP on your computer. Or found some used computers with valid XP COA's and want to throw XP on them. But support for Windows XP officially ended, what will happen with Windows Genuine Advantage Validation?

Thanks in advance...

WGA can be easily defeated, just look up "bypass wga xp" on a search engine.

Anyway MS, while not providing any *new* updates for XP, has not said they will shut down the activation servers or stop providing the patches that are already made.  Heck, you can still download patches for Windows 95 and Windows 98, and I would bet you can still get patches for Windows 3 if you know where to look for them in MS's obscenely difficult to use support site.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »

Anyway MS, while not providing any *new* updates for XP, has not said they will shut down the activation servers or stop providing the patches that are already made.  Heck, you can still download patches for Windows 95 and Windows 98, and I would bet you can still get patches for Windows 3 if you know where to look for them in MS's obscenely difficult to use support site.

If you find them it will be thru back door because I doubt Windows update will show them after next update cycle

N8GD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

KE7TMA is correct.  Microsoft has officially announced that all previous updates (and therefore the update servers) for Windows XP as well as the activation servers (which validate existing product keys) will continue to function into the foreseeable future (I would expect many years, at least).  Also MS Security Essentials, their free antivirus/security/anti-malware product and the accompanying new virus definition updates will be available until sometime in July of 2015.  I think all this hoopla about XP being the target of mass attacks is a lot of baloney.  Sure, it won't be quite as secure, but, prudent and careful use of the Internet, a good AV solution, and replacing IE 8 with a more modern browser (e.g. Firefox - which you should have done several years ago anyway), will minimize most potential problems.  Heck, I have personally operated and seen many XP machines that had no updates applied for over 12 months at a time in the past (automatic updates were turned off to eliminate the problems associated with system restarts or user confusion over those updates being applied) and never saw any ill effects from the lack of updates.  I would suggest that everyone should take a wait and see attitude regarding the future of XP after April 8th.  Until then, updates and product key validation from Microsoft will indeed continue to function.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:01 AM »

N8GD basically sums it up very well ..
- there is no need to rush out & buy anything at all.

- as long as your A/V is working & the H/W is A.ok,
 then your Win-XP will continue to work just dandy.

- update your FF & your A/V every year.
& keep using your favorite software & your favorite O/S.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:48:14 AM »

Can I throw this in the mix? How much hassle to install WIN 7 in a slightly newer machine? I guess what would be barebones system requirements for WIN7?
The lack of virus protection is not a good thing, if you use your XP computer online. MS Essentials weened me away from having to pay for virus protection...Norton, Shield, etc etc.
Fred
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »

I just installed an OEM version of Win7 on my Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with no issues.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »

Can I throw this in the mix? How much hassle to install WIN 7 in a slightly newer machine? I guess what would be barebones system requirements for WIN7?
The lack of virus protection is not a good thing, if you use your XP computer online. MS Essentials weened me away from having to pay for virus protection...Norton, Shield, etc etc.
Fred

unless you already have a copy of win_7,
- it is difficult , albeit not impossible, to get, unless you are buying a new PC.

but, - why buy anything, - when you don't have to ??.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »

"unless you already have a copy of win_7,
- it is difficult , albeit not impossible, to get, unless you are buying a new PC."

No it's not - just search on the Internet. I purchased an OEM copy of Windows7 from an Internet store just last week.

First you go to the Microsoft site and download a free program that will check your XP computer to make sure it is compatible with Windows7. If everything is compatible, you simply insert the Windows7 CD and run the install program. Once Windows7 is running you have to reinstall all of your programs.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »

"unless you already have a copy of win_7,
- it is difficult , albeit not impossible, to get, unless you are buying a new PC."

No it's not - just search on the Internet. I purchased an OEM copy of Windows7 from an Internet store just last week.

First you go to the Microsoft site and download a free program that will check your XP computer to make sure it is compatible with Windows7. If everything is compatible, you simply insert the Windows7 CD and run the install program. Once Windows7 is running you have to reinstall all of your programs.

thanks AA4PB....it looks like I can change two Dell Optiplex computers to Win 7. I already have a couple of WIN 7 Premium disks here.
I don't like to get too anal but I do not like being online with no AV. And I will not pay for any AV. The Microsoft Essentials sits there now in the warning mode on my XP machines.
Fred
N8GD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 05:11:24 AM »

A word of advice to those who want to take the Windows 7 upgrade path: Your PC should have a dual core processor at a minimum (Pentium D or Core 2 Duo - the latter being preferred) and I would suggest 4 GB of memory as well.  Some older PCs can't support more than 2 GB, and having too little memory will slow down the system as much or more than having an underpowered processor.  Windows 7 needs more processing horsepower than Windows XP.

Also, all this talk of not being able to run MS Security Essentials is not a problem.  First of all, MS Security Essentials will continue to run and update its definitions in XP through July 15, 2015.  You may have been the victim of a recent client update of that AV program which displays dire XP warnings, but it will work for more than a year from now anyway.  If you want to update your AV solution, I would suggest removing MS Security Essentials and install a free AntiVirus solution such as AVG 2014 Free (free.avg.com) or Avast 2014 Free.  Neither one will cost you anything to run, but make sure you are getting the FREE version, NOT the trial or paid version.  Either one of these (or several other free AV solutions) will work as well as or perhaps even better than Microsoft's soon-to-be obsolete (July 2015) AV solution.

Also, install either Firefox or Chrome for your Internet Browser if you are going to continue with XP to get better Internet security.  IE 8 is full of security holes and will not be updated in XP after April 8, 2014.
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »

Win7 Pro, either 32-bit or 64-bit, is available from Amazon, as well as other internet sources.  This is NOT the full retail version, but the OEM version.  I've been running OEM versions of Windows for a very long time without any glitches, as I've always assembled my own PCs here. In fact, I've never had a BSOD with WinXP Pro. Officially, OEM versions are for system builders, e.g. for resale.  But, those who use OEM versions seem to be fine. 

This PC is running Win7 Pro 32-bit OEM (purchased from Amazon) with an Intel E2200 CPU, a dual-core Pentium - not a Core 2 Duo, and did just fine with 2GB of memory.  However, I did later upgrade it to 4GB.  But, generally speaking, 32-bit Windows can only address a bit over 3GB, and the memory mapping of your video card's memory (not shared, but dedicated video card with its own memory) can affect total system memory as well.

I have Core 2 Duo tower running Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon, and with the exception of a slow to print inkjet due to the generic CUPS printer driver, and a couple of Windows software programs I like, I can do everything with Linux Mint that I could do with WinXP and can do with Win7.  Is Linux Mint ready for the mainstream - probably not, but for we hams, you may wish to try it.  You have nothing to lose but time, as it's all free for the download.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: