Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6AF4 tube GG QRP amp  (Read 2041 times)
9A5BDP

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »

I have few pieces of this UHF triode. My question is will be possible to make some qrp level linear in GG mode with this tube. My goal is to produce maximum 2w into antenna. Core VFO is based around 6AK5 tube.

What do you think about this idea?

73!

Dubravko

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:10 AM »

Although it has a 2.5 watt plate dissipation, the amplification factor (mu) is very low at 13.5. This isn't surprising, as it was meant for UHF Class C oscillator service. Another difficulty,  if you want a working tank Q of 10, is that the low plate resistance limits the load resistance to around 220 ohms. That means a gain of just over 1.

The 6J4, 6AJ4 and 6AM4 have much higher amplification factors and so are more suitable for grounded grid use.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »

my first thought is always,,,try it!!  sounds like fun. i should do it on a tiny chassis beside my BIG 2x 813 gg amp!!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:25:36 AM »

Are you intending this for SSB, where you need linearity? If it's for CW, then a push-pull pair in grounded cathode and neutralised, running in Class C, would be a better circuit choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: