Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom ic-7100 separation cable length  (Read 2688 times)
W6CD

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »

Thinking of installing IC-7100 in my motorhome. Head unit at the front dash area. Main body installed near the rear of the coach as there is good physical space to install it and remote tuner, antenna are there so short coax cables, and high amp DC power nearby.  This would make only the separation cable to run from the rear to the front of the coach. However, is a 45-50' separation cable a problem?

Thx!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:32:47 AM »

Yes it is. In fact, the longer of the two available cables can cause a few common mode problems. And, it is much easier to run coax, than make up a new cable in any case.

W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

Making up the longer separation cable is mot a big deal for me. Easier than running the multiple coax and power to the front of the coach, power to the rear, mounting space for the base unit, etc.

Any way to deal with the problems of the longer separation cable?
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

Looks like this could be my solution. Icon 7100 specifically noted with separation up to 100'.  Anyone any experience with this product?

http://www.swapmyrigs.com/index.htm
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »

Bought one. 
Connected it up to my existing Kenwood TS-480 with 50 foot cable separating the radio and head.
Works great.

Can be reconfigured to work with Icom 7100 as well.

http://www.swapmyrigs.com/index.htm
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

Looking at the Swap My Rig page, it seems to have no active components.  All it is doing is providing a method of using a commercially available cable assembly by providing configuration jumpers.  SO, if you can use VGA cable to go 100' with a iCOM 7100, why can't you do the same by just making a longer (50') separation cable?
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »

Looking at the Swap My Rig page, it seems to have no active components.  All it is doing is providing a method of using a commercially available cable assembly by providing configuration jumpers.  SO, if you can use VGA cable to go 100' with a iCOM 7100, why can't you do the same by just making a longer (50') separation cable?

Maybe so, however above was commented problems even with the longer stock OEM separation cable. The shielding and makeup of the VGA cable may mitigate the problems.

Feature-wise, some radios are multiple cables and this makes it just one cable to run.  And VGA cables being a readily available and low cost cable. Additionally, this makes it easy to swap to another radio without having to run different cable(s) through the vehicle.
KC0BWA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »

Isn't the separation cable just a cat 5 cable? Just get a 50' section of cat 6e and test it out.
I would think that 50' is very doable. Lengths longer then 100' may become problematic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: