Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote site Internet connection  (Read 4757 times)
AA6CJ

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

This month I purchase unrestricted land to set up a remote site.  I have no cable, but have the options of 4G LTE or DSL.  I'm.hoping some of you may give your advice an experience on which I should choose.  Reliability, cost and performance are key metrics.  It's a forty minute drive from my home to the property. 
Fred, AA6CJ
K8DSS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »

Fred,

I operated a remote from a site that only had DSL service. Had to get the antennas for 160 and 80 meters about 150 ft. from DSL modem to prevent the DSL modem from unlocking and go through a reboot. DSL is very sensitive to RFI at 1.8 to 4 MHz.

Ed - K8DSS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03:14 AM »

I would do DSL. It is a predictable connection and no data caps/overage costs.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »

I am making MiFi work, but I haven't done full blown remote yet.  It's a mixed bag.

There is a new provider doing over the air internet (relatively small company, but state-wide) that I am seriously considering.  A friend of mine down the road uses it for his hamming, is quite satisfied. 

The MiFi works great for basic functionality, but it has some unpredictable and unexpected delays from time to time, even when I am resident in the shack.

However, since I've started my remote journey, I think a lot of that has to do when I allow the MiFi to be at low battery (I had been just running it off the PC since it also doubled as my "wire").  Now that the MiFi is on all the time, the delays are less of a factor.  But, still happen.  Whether that is more than when I operate at home is something I haven't measured scientifically.  But, it is of some concern going forward.

Definitely would take DSL over MiFi if it is available.  You might double check.  That can be impossible in a rural setting, too, but if it exists, it would probably be a better option.  Me, it's MiFi or over the air internet and that's really it.

That said, if I stick with it and it works "well enough" it is quite cost effective at present.  I get an employer discount and it works for 30 dollars a month.  That's really cheap and since it is also AT&T, I can expect this option to be available as my "last resort service" if it comes to that.
AA6CJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »

Thanks all for replying.  I believe both option are available to me.  Thanks for the heads up on the 80/40 rfi problem.  DSL sounds like the ticket.  I will be getting the 31 ft trailer on site in January. 
Fred, AA6CJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: