Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Power On For Amplifier  (Read 6174 times)
W3DDF

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »

I am setting up my station to be remotely accessed.  So far it is working well.  I will be using a DLI web power switch to power on all the 120v devices via the internet. I was wondering how I would go about remotely powering up my Tokyo Hy Power amp that is running 240v.  I have been reading about using relays.  Any suggestions and items needed to purchase would be appreciated.  Thanks. Charlie
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »

Just use a relay with a 120VAC coil and power the coil from the output of your power switch. Make sure that you use a double pole relay so that you open both hot leads of the 240V circuit. Make sure that the contacts are rated for at least 240VAC and for at least 20A. If you use a metal box to enclose the relay, make sure that the box is connected to the grounding pin of the 240V plug.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »

I don't have a Tokyo Hy-Power amp, but with most amps I wouldn't remotely switch them on and off using the power mains; I'd rather they be in "standby" and then switched to "operate" if and when called on to work.

Standby power in a solid state amp should be close to zero, except maybe if the fans are always turning -- and that wouldn't be much.

Although I don't operate remotely myself, I never turn off any SS amps in my home shack, even if we go away for two weeks or any length of time.  I can't think of any reason to actually turn them off. Wink
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »

If I did leave the amp on and in standby how would I remotely place the amp in operate?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: