About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relay?  (Read 1404 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »

Sometime in the next month, I'm putting a radio in my truck.  I know about hooking up directly to one of the batteries (I have 2), but I don't want to have to turn the radio on and shut it off when done using it, I'd like to have it come on with the ignition and go off the same way.  Should I do this with a relay, or will a relay coil add noise in the system?  Any other suggested methods?
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »

Many modern radios address this issue with  APO (auto power off) which shuts of the radio after a period of inactivity.  The time out period can be set or disabled via the menu system.  Check the manual  If present, this feature will solve your problem

Hope this helps
WB2EOD
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »

Many modern radios address this issue with  APO (auto power off) which shuts of the radio after a period of inactivity.  The time out period can be set or disabled via the menu system.  Check the manual  If present, this feature will solve your problem

Hope this helps
WB2EOD

I wish it did!  But thanks for responding.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »

A simple automotive relay (I'd get one rated for 40A for best reliability) will do the job quite well. Connect one end of the coil to ground and the other to the accessory line. The relay isn't going to inject any noise into the system.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »

A simple automotive relay (I'd get one rated for 40A for best reliability) will do the job quite well. Connect one end of the coil to ground and the other to the accessory line. The relay isn't going to inject any noise into the system.

That's what I was concerned about.  Thanks!!   Grin
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:01:15 AM »

Or, you could use a PwrGuard: http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pwr_guard

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

Nice unit, but over kill for my situation - plus I'm cheap!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: