The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newest U.S. shortwave broadcaster kicks off this evening.  (Read 39212 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »

(0330 z) Tuned to WRMI 9395 just in time to hear the announcer say they had switched to 24 hour broadcasting the day before. Signal is 59+30 here in St Louis with good audio. Programming is religious.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 12:37:52 AM »

I did join the 1st tier of the Global24 Listener's club. I sent reception reports, but never received a QSL card. They never came in very strong here in Rochester NY, but were 'present with minor fading' and the broadcast format was generally pleasing.
 I started receiving e-mails from them asking for money which I won't/can't do. I wasn't listening enough in return from them. The formula was good, but it is horrendously expensive to operate a SW broadcast station as they soon found out.
 I remember H. Dickson Norman trying to start up a brand new station: NDXE (in Dixie) back in the '80's. It was going to be a high-power stereo SW broadcasting using the Kahn system (you would use 2 separate receivers, one tuned above the carrier and one tuned below the carrier). I still have his promotional cassette tape and memorabilia from his start up endeavor. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times. He liked to hear other peoples ideas on what they wanted and how they would go about it. I did wish him the best of luck, but was unable to help with funds at the time. I did purchase a discounted Sony ICF-2010 from him that I still have ad enjoy.
 I think that the same money issues are why today's commercial AM/FM/TV broadcasting is so frustratingly canned and ratings-driven. I was really hoping for a successful independent broadcaster to break the monotony of the 'fire and brimstone' and buying 'precious metals' and 'government right/left conspiracy theories' which fills the SW bands with such unpleasant listening and disgusts me. I just can't listen to that.
 I do like WBCQ broadcasts with the pleasant variety they offer, especially the evening shows like Marion's Attic (old 78's), Ramsey's Roadhouse, Roland Hunt's/Radio Alexandria: The Next Chapter, Glen Hauser's World of Radio and the Ted Randall show.
 I know finances are tight, but they seem to be resourceful enough to keep the lights on and Harris transmitter going without leaning on listeners for donations.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »

Please send $1.00 to my Capital Depreciation Fund.

Do it for the Children.

klc
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »

Grin
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »

My post from early November:

"Heard my first two commercials an hour or so ago... for Universal Radio and something called Connector Zone.

These stations HAVE to be fronts for something. Acres of Florida land (perhaps only swampland) and many 100 KW transmitters with tall antennas in every direction.

Can anyone here think of a scenario where this station could ever turn a worthwhile profit?

As long as WRMI was paid, they didn't care.  They own 9395, not Global 24 or any other station that buys time. 

But a secular, commercial, English-language shortwave station is about as risky a venture as it gets in broadcasting.  With almost no listeners outside of a few thousand hobbyists, no major advertiser will touch it.  And with no or few advertisers, donations, or a sugar daddy that wants to run it as an expensive hobby, it won't be around long.  And it wasn't.

And, even if it had been successful, if it only had US advertisers, wouldn't that have run afoul with the FCC?  They still have their long-standing policy of prohibiting shortwave broadcasting that targets American audiences, AFAIK.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/fact-sheet-building-high-frequency-shortwave-international-broadcasting-station

Who or what is the FCC protecting?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »

"...an international broadcasting station is intended for broadcasting to a foreign country and is not intended for broadcasting solely to the United States.The minimum transmitter output power required is 50 kilowatts (kW) and a directional antenna is required with a minimum gain of 10 decibels (dB).Most existing stations have a transmitter power greater than 50 kW and an antenna gain greater than 10 db in an attempt to overcome the increasing congestion and interference in the limited frequency spectrum allocated to this service. As a result, applicants should also submit with their application a propagation analysis, based on the proposed transmitter output power and antenna gain, showing that an acceptable signal strength will reach the intended target area(s)."

Very interesting. Yes, what's wrong with domestic-targeted SW broadcasting?

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/fact-sheet-building-high-frequency-shortwave-international-broadcasting-station
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »

enough Orbans on eBay so they could punch it up.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »

Giving it another chance?
I received a Global24 listener survey e-mail:
http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a009eebb6df330d7d63f4e86e&id=6e3ba47904&e=90c92d3005
 It seems that they are trying out new frequencies (5850 and 11825 kHz). This may help reception at my end.
 I didn't receive them very well here in Rochester, NY on 9395 kHz. The signal was there, but not very strong and barely listenable at times with the E-W inverted-L longwire and National NC-98 or the CCraneSW.
 Here is this weekend's schedule:
 http://about.global24radio.com/weekends-schedule/
 I will try again this weekend.
 I know that it is hellishly expensive to run a shortwave broadcast station and I do wish them success and the best of luck, even though the odds are stacked against them.
 Global24 is someone's dream, misguided or not.
 WBCQ 7490 does come in loud and clear here.
 This gives listeners in other countries a taste of America. What better method of passive diplomacy is there than our shortwave broadcasters? Many foreign listeners enjoy our Jazz and Bluegrass Country music, because it speaks of America.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 06:30:51 AM »

I don't often visit the SW forum.

Is this station still on the air? 

Right now (1330 UTC) I'm hearing a strong station on 9.395 MHz but the programming is religious.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »

I don't often visit the SW forum.

Is this station still on the air? 

Right now (1330 UTC) I'm hearing a strong station on 9.395 MHz but the programming is religious.

WRMI leased 9395 to a religious outfit, but Global 24 is gone for the time being.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

I listened to them on Saturday evening. They mentioned WRMI in their ID, but still call themselves Global24.
 I no longer see 9395 kc listed as a broadcast frequency for them. That frequency didn't work very well for me in Rochester, NY.
 Actually I found reception much better on 11825 kc.
 The past weekend's schedule is here:
 http://about.global24radio.com/programming-325-330/
 Visit their website for updated schedules.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: