Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need "Insert Photo Instructions....Again!  (Read 15020 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »

Greetings all:

I know this question has be asked and answered several times but I've finally given up  finding the answer on my own.

I have just spent the past 1.5 hours trying to transfer a photo from Photobucket to a reply here on eHam.net without success.

I have tried everything I can think of, which includes the "copy" links on the right side of My Photobucket page,  reading all the eHam Help files that I can find, checking my notebooks for step-by-step instructions and each time, failed.

Will someone please walk me through this process?  Hopefully I will have presence of mind to detail the process in one of my notebooks for the next time I need to use it.

Many thanks in advance.

Al - K8AXW
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »

Greetings all:

I know this question has be asked and answered several times but I've finally given up  finding the answer on my own.

I have just spent the past 1.5 hours trying to transfer a photo from Photobucket to a reply here on eHam.net without success.

I have tried everything I can think of, which includes the "copy" links on the right side of My Photobucket page,  reading all the eHam Help files that I can find, checking my notebooks for step-by-step instructions and each time, failed.

Will someone please walk me through this process?  Hopefully I will have presence of mind to detail the process in one of my notebooks for the next time I need to use it.

Many thanks in advance.

Al - K8AXW

What I recommend trying

1. open / visit the website where the photo is and open it up so it is in your browser
2. right click on the opened photo and left click "Copy image URL"
3. In the eham reply box, click the image icon -- it is right below the B for bold and above the left most smiley  Smiley
4. hit the 'Control v' keys together (or right click 'paste' -- but Control v is easier to get the copied URL between the photo code)

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »

The problem the OP has might be with using photobucket to get the correct URL (mentioned by K9AIM at step 2) - it's not always obvious.  

a) The URL (again this is photobucket-centric) should look like   http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/... .jpg  
b) If it has .html at the end, it's no good.

When that correct URL is embedded between Bulletin Board Code for images [ i m g ][ / i m g ] it should appear as a picture in your post

To get the correct URL there are several options. Three of them follow:
1) Open the picture fully for viewing on photobucket and follow K9AIM's instructions (right click the photo...)
2) Open the picture fully for viewing on photobucket and use the "Links to share this photo" on the right and choose the "Direct" link
3) If you are looking at the album (where there might be several pics, and are smaller), move your mouse over the pic you want, then click the settings (the "gear") that appears at the top right and choose "Get Links"

Now, to add to the confusion, you can either place the link manually inside the Bulletin Board Code [ i m g ][ / i m g ] or grab the link photobucket calls "IMG codes" and paste that directly into your post. There are some other options for some of this but this should get you started.

The text in your post should look something like this ... with NO spaces!)

[ I M G ] h t t p : / / i 2 4 1 . p h o t o b u c k e t . c o m / a l b u m s / c o d e / a l b u m n a m e / t o w e r _ 6 4 0 _ 4 8 0 . j p g [ / i m g ]

To prove it works:

edit: photo reduced from 1024X768 to 640X480
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:15:34 PM by N2MG » Logged
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »

it would also help if you went in your camera and shrunk the dimensions to 640x480 before shooting, so as not to blow up the page causing everyone to have to sideways scroll to read a guy's post Cheesy
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »

Ha ha - you need a bigger monitor

But I feel your pain...
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

Ha ha - you need a bigger monitor

But I feel your pain...
hey you may be right I never thought of that Cheesy it's a 24' diag. though...not too small?.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »

Depends on the resolution you've set it to.  My monitor's 22" but 1680 X 1050 (its max) and even with the forums stuff around the 1024X768 tower pic, it displayed just fine.

Also, you probably don't really want to change the reso on the camera (and thus the original pic) - you probably want to resize it just for the forum. :-)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:43:59 AM by N2MG » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »

Thanks guys.  I have been able to get a URL between the but no picture.

I know anyone can click on the URL and see the picture but I want it so whenever someone reads my reply they will also see the photo.

I've done this before but for some reason I've had a mind fart and nothing is coming back to me.  As I said, I spent 1.5 hours dealing with this.

I'll go through these suggestions again tomorrow.

BTW, I always resize my photos to 1024 X 768 before storing them in my photo album....both on my HDD and on Photobucket.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:27:37 AM »

Be sure the URL is a .jpg and not a .html
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »

AIM:  Ok followed your instructions and was rewarded with a "link" between the .  What I was hoping for was the photo.

However, after hitting SAVE at the bottom of the "comment" page the photo appeared.  BINGO!  Many thanks........

BTW, the photo is  a "selfie" showing the consternation my brother and I had while trying this out.  That's me on the right in case you're interested.  His name is Allen too.  Mom told us later since we was twins she couldn't be bothered trying to figure out which was which.

Al - K8AXW
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:20:29 PM by K8AXW » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:20 AM »

Re: K8AXW

I'm impressed with your high and tight, were you with NCIS intelligence div. at one time?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

Actually I was with Army intelligence for awhile.  I was offered a job with a government intelligence agency but found I could make a lot of money here in WV digging outhouse pits.  When my brother Allen joined me we branched out to outhouse construction itself.  I've never looked back!
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »

"  I could make a lot of money here in WV digging outhouse pits.  When my brother Allen joined me we branched out to outhouse construction itself.  I've never looked back.  "

Well, probably you never looked back, but I'm sure you kept an eye upwards.

klc
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

Government intelligence? How long ago was that?  Wink
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:34:16 AM »

AIM:  Ok followed your instructions and was rewarded with a "link" between the [ i m g ] [ / i m g ].  What I was hoping for was the photo.

Did you do a preview? I think that'd make the photo appear.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: