Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why srtrong SSB signals that won't tune to intelligibility??  (Read 33075 times)
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »

I like the overload diagnosis best, beating my speculation he was listening to the wrong sideband.  But we haven't heard from the OP in a month.  Will the mystery ever be solved?

73 Mike W8MW
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »

Probably take some flak for this suggestion, but were they AM?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »

Tnx AER....You're right on the mark with it...I find most every CW and SSB signal can be cleaned up very well by simply cutting back about a quater to a half turn on the RF Gain and turn up the volume to compensate, also the built in attenuators on some rigs will help as well.

I wasn't aware that a ham rig made by Yaesu would have this sort of issue. I thought you only had to use this technique with the less expensive SW radios, where strong SSB can swamp the radio's AGC.

Are many ham rigs set up this way, or just this one Yaesu in particular?
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »

Try another radio and A- B it. 
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »

RF Gain and attenuator will clean it up, any rig... Ic-718 here and others including Drake tube and solid state.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

Tnx AER....You're right on the mark with it...I find most every CW and SSB signal can be cleaned up very well by simply cutting back about a quater to a half turn on the RF Gain and turn up the volume to compensate, also the built in attenuators on some rigs will help as well.

I wasn't aware that a ham rig made by Yaesu would have this sort of issue. I thought you only had to use this technique with the less expensive SW radios, where strong SSB can swamp the radio's AGC.

Are many ham rigs set up this way, or just this one Yaesu in particular?

If the local RF noise level is high or there is too much gain from the antenna then turning down the RF gain can help a lot.  The other night on 80m I was having to engage the attenuator on my KX3 just to suppress background noise to s0-s1.
4X1SO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

I had something like this happen to me last week. A station about 30 miles away from me was pegging my S meter on 20 meter SSB. He was so strong that I could disconnect my antenna and still hear his signal. A little while later I went to 10 meters SSB and could only hear one station on the band, The signal was very distorted. I tried all modes and both sidebands but could not get the signal to clear up. I tried a second radio and still no success. With some close listening I was able to make out the callsign. It was the same as the station on 20 meters that was pegging my S meter. I went back to 20 meters and he was still on 20 loud and clear. I think I was copying spurious harmonics on 10 from the 20 meter transmissions. 
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

....agree with 4X...do the harmonic math.
AF6AU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »

I have found oddities here and there transmitting in the "wrong mode" in the wrong place often. Since I'm in So. Calif., I often hear operators in Mexico that don't give a hoot about what sideband where, they run 40 meters in USB on 7.150-7.180, and then there's guys using export 12-10 meter rigs that will run LSB in the CW area of 10 meters as well. I have heard from US hams that are fluent in Mexican dialect Spanish tell me that some are fishermen off the coast of Baja Calif. A 100 watt SSB rig over the ocean water carries well, so I pick them up at "S" 10 or more even though they are 300 miles away.The operators don't care, and their Gov't has worse issues than the USA with doing anything about it. Maybe someday... ?
So you could be recieving a bogie like that..
JML
AF6AU
W9ALD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »

You might want to check the voltage regulation in the receiver.  I have seen strong signals affect the voltage regulation on radios that have a marginal regulator.  The issues are hidden with weak signals and with strong signals they rear their ugly heads.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »

I'm sorry to report that many of you who initially responded also don't understand how to use a receiver.  The correct and first response to the poster was to restrict RF gain and use the attenuator.  This thread would have been over in one or two responses.  Perhaps many of you are new operators so you get a one time pass...some of you should know better.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: