Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N2VZ Turbo Tuner, no power and not working  (Read 3190 times)
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »

I purchased this set used.  An HS Sidekick and Turbo Tuner for my FT-857D.  When not connected to the Tuner, the antenna raises and falls as it should.  When I connect the tuner and try to Tune, here is what happens:

1 - the voltage on my 857 display drops from 12V to 9V or just below.
2 - There is no audio chirp and the antenna never moves.

Dianostics thus far:
A - I disconnected the antenna and checked the tuner for voltage and there is none.
B - I checked the tuner fuse
C - I checked for continutity on the audio power cord for the tuner - good
D - All connections are as seen in the tuner manual and all DIP settings are as well.

I spoke with Gigaparts, and they suggested that a poor antenna ground could be the cause.   I have also sent an email to Tennatronix.

Questions:

1 - is it possible it's the antenna ground? 
2 - is that drop I see on the 857 in voltage normal, when the tuner is attempting to tune?

Obviously, any other ideas are welcome.  Thanks and 73s
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:28 AM »

Based only on what you wrote....

You cannot use any other control, manual or otherwise, with the Turbo Tuner. If you do, the TT will be operating into a short.

The TT doesn't use relays.. Instead, it uses an L289 switchable bridge. It can handle about 3 amps. Anymore than this, and poof!

KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »

A short is what I was thinking, but I haven't connected any other control.  It was the 857, the Turbo, and the Sidekick.

I should also say that this was a test and I was NOT using direct power from the battery.  I used a temporary 857 power cord that is known good, but plugs into the lighter socket.  I have run the direcet power lines, but was planning on soldering, etc. this weeknd to complete that project.  I wanted to simpy test the Turbo and Sidekick with the temporary cord.  Could that be a power issue?
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

Problem solved. ID10T error  Wink

When I intially set up the 857 for the Turbo, I followed the first instruction from Yaesu manual, which was set to: ATAS/ALL.  I figured that was necessary to view he necessary menus to complete the Turbo instructions.  However, the Turbo manual says to use the main Tuner mode.  I made the change and all is well.  Now to make the permamnet connections!

Thanks for your input!! 
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »

That would do it! One thing you want to be careful of is blowing F1001, which is a surface-mounted 3.5 amp fuse.

KC0BWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »

My install was not nearly as sophisticated as some I've seen here. Nor did my car look like a lightning rod with 4 tires Smiley

I had an Icom 706 MK IIG with a 2m/440 on a mag mount. Then for HF I got an SGC tuner placed about 6 inches from the longest CB whip I could find on a ball mount mounted on the inside passenger side of the longbox of the pickup. When I need to go into a garage I can bend the whip down into the bed (it bows). Seems to work pretty well for me and is very simple clean install. No moving parts to seize up either.

Hope that helps.

FYI - 75k miles up and down ranch roads and it still works well.

J
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »

No moving parts? Well, Jon, that's not really true. All of the SGC auto couplers have multiple relays. Depending on the model, there are some in parallel (to handle the current), and some in series (to handle the voltage).

You didn't mention how you fed the whip? I just hope you didn't use coax! And did you use a high voltage insulator?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: