Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsafe Mobile Install  (Read 7265 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

In Greenville, NC today I saw a ham with call license plate with 3 antenna's on the roof.  What I saw  was a disaster in the making. 2 radio's were fastened near or on the passenger side airbag. The radios were older, single body units, facing the passenger seat.  They looked like the were glued or velcroed in place, as not mounting bracket could be seen.  Cables were all over the dash, airbags, etc.   It was unsafe looking.  Remember to be safe in your installation.  Radio's can be missiles in a crash. I do not want a 2m radio or a Motorola radio thrown into me by the force of an airbag.  Further more, being on the passenger side does not allow one to see the radio safely.  I wish I had a camera to take a picture. 

Randy ka4nma
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:31 AM »

In Greenville, NC today I saw a ham with call license plate with 3 antenna's on the roof.  What I saw  was a disaster in the making. 2 radio's were fastened near or on the passenger side airbag.

As long as they're not in front of them between the airbag and the passenger there's no problem. Alan K0BG tries to make a big song and dance about mounting head units on the dash above where the airbag is but the truth is that a head unit or radio placed there is either going to go nowhere or be propelled forward towards the windscreen away from the passenger, not towards them. If you think of how an airbag deploys it goes backwards from the dash towards the passenger and upwards/downwards. Alan's arguments therefore make no sense. The only risk comes from what you quite rightly say about cables covering where the airbag deploys as that has the possibility to rip the head unit from the dash and send it towards the passenger.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:51:58 AM »

For all due and great respect, the issue about mounting anything atop the dash of a modern vehicle is ill advised. If you think that is just my issue, read your owners manual!

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »

How about the other side--the use of magmount antennas.  People should be worried about both those and improperly mounted/unsecured rigs since they can both fly off whatever they're on and injure someone.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »

How about the other side--the use of magmount antennas.  People should be worried about both those and improperly mounted/unsecured rigs since they can both fly off whatever they're on and injure someone.

I have heard this said for YEARS!  However, I have never located ANY account of a person being injured by a magnetic mount antenna, which had come loose from a car, either in normal use or in an accident.

If ANYONE has any information on such an incident, please post here?  Otherwise, it is just another urban myth.  Cue Jamie and Adam!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »

For all due and great respect, the issue about mounting anything atop the dash of a modern vehicle is ill advised. If you think that is just my issue, read your owners manual!

Mine makes no mention of it being a problem. Airbags fire backwards towards the passenger from the rear face of the dashboard. Anything forward of them isn't going to be propelled backwards by them towards the passenger. It is physically impossible.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »

Mine makes no mention of it being a problem. Airbags fire backwards towards the passenger from the rear face of the dashboard. Anything forward of them isn't going to be propelled backwards by them towards the passenger. It is physically impossible.

Some airbags have a door that blows out and hinges forward towards the windshield when it inflates and, it is on top of the dash.  So, it depends on the setup in a particular vehicle as to whether putting items on top of the dash is safe.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »

...I have never located ANY account of a person being injured by a magnetic mount antenna, which had come loose from a car, either in normal use or in an accident.

If ANYONE has any information on such an incident, please post here?  Otherwise, it is just another urban myth....

Unless a LEO actually sees the accident, it's kind of hard for them to attribute injuries to one of several things that usually go flying around in a bad accident.  To add to thet, they're more interested in saving people then looking for the item that may have hurt them in the first place. 

There have been numerous reports of magmounts that have blown off or knocked off while on a moving vehicle, but usually by the vehicle driver, and the damages usually are limited to the antenna itself, or some scratches or broken items on the vehicle.  Face the facts--all too many magmount antennas just aren't made well enough to hold securely on vehicles moving down the roads at higher speeds.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »

One little detail in the argument on dash and airbags.

The airbag is under the dash plastic, it is not _the_dash_plastic!  So when
it deploys the outer cover (_the_dash_plastic) is folded aside to clear the
actual bag. The plastics are too hard and could be sharp making for a
serious injury source.

If one fails to take this into account your going to be off.

Mounting on the dash is still not recommended as there are few secure points
and Velcro is only good for light things.  Also the adhesive used often fails with
high temperatures from the sun making a great mess and liberating the secured gear.

Its definitely a challenge to mount radio gear in most new cars due to a lack of space
and secure mounting points.

As to mag mounts the bigger issue is they generally are best use for temporary cases
at VHF.  Most (many) do not work as well as their solidly mounted counterparts.  At HF
the lack of a good ground is a serious handicap.

Allison

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »

I have heard this said for YEARS!  However, I have never located ANY account of a person being injured by a magnetic mount antenna, which had come loose from a car, either in normal use or in an accident.

If ANYONE has any information on such an incident, please post here?  Otherwise, it is just another urban myth.  Cue Jamie and Adam!

I've seen three such incidents over the past 20 years. Two were cheap "chocolate drop" mag mounts. No one was injured, but they both detached from the roofs they were mounted on. The third was a HamStick on a single 6" magnet. This one came loose and went partially through the rear window of the vehicle the ham rear-ended at about 30 mph. I used to have photos, but have misplaced them in moving around the last few years.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »

Hi,

How new was the truck?

Most newer models car and truck have sensor for passenger seat to
determine if the airbag is armed for an adult or disarmed for a child.
Some cars have a key to disable the airbag for passenger seat.

73 james
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »

Its your car and your ( and / or ) your passengers life.  Do as you choose.  Me, I mount under the dash or on the side of the "hump"
KD5PCK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »

I guess it depends on the vehicle. My 96 Ford Ranger has no passenger side airbag. I pulled the cover off and mounted my radio in the void inside the dash that would have housed the passenger side airbag. The original post didn't say what make/model the vehicle was. It's possible that this car doesn't have a passenger side airbag either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: