Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn Icom 756 Pro owners, Question about Dual Watch...  (Read 3220 times)
W8ASI

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »

Is it possible with the Dual Watch feature on the Icom 756 Pro 2 to set the top VFO to  monitor 50.125 USB (and scope the band around it) and the bottom VFO set to 50.400 AM? or is it only limited to the same mode (ie: top vfo 50.125 USB, bottom vfo 50.150 USB). Never played with one of these and thinking about picking one up. Or do I need a radio with real true dual receivers like yaesu ft-dx5000 or icom 7800. Thanks for any input 73 Doug W8ASI EN82
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

It is limited to the same mode.

John AF5CC
W5CBO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

Short answer is no. You can only monitor same band same mode not mixed.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »

What W5CBO said is mostly true. The mode must be the same.  And the scope will display the Upper VFO.

However you can set the bottom VFO to a different band but the receive will be much attenuated. This is because the second band will be going through the first band's filters.

I often set the second VFO at 50.125 while on the lower bands in the main VFO and turn on the DW.  I adjust the audio balance so I hear mostly the lower band.  But if 6M should open and people start calling on 50.125 I can tell there is activity there. 

I have also done it with 20M & 15M during a contest to hear when 15 opens.

Clint - W5CPT -
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:14:40 AM »

Not true dual watch.  Only one VFO and alas, same mode.....
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »

Couldn't I skate by with the Dual Watch and set top VFO to 50.125 USB and scoping the band and set the bottom VFO on 50.400 USB and still be able to hear any AM signals decent enough if something pops up and if I need to I can manually switch modes to work those am stations? I just want to be able to listen in both places and be able to pickup any am activity.  I do this on another radio when I set it to scan 6m SSB freqs and anyone who keys up on 50.400AM is heard (good enough to discern) and I can manually switch modes from usb to am over once activity starts, but I need confirmation from a 756 series owner that AM signals sound atleast "half way decent" enough when listening to them on USB.  I assume it is but I have never played with a 756 series radio. 

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »

You could do that and it would work ok.  You wouldn't even have to set the second VFO to 50.400. You can set the bandscope wide enough to SEE if any activity showed up there.

John AF5CC
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:03 AM »

I find dw usefull in many instances, however band and mode related they be. For voice I can watch two freqs in the same rf bandpass with little to no attenuation of signal. For digital mode work I can watch two freqs with multiple decoders being fed the audio, accepting any interference of course. The service manual will reveal wich band limits are in each rx bandpass filter.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:27:39 AM »

Thanks a lot for your time and answers guys! Looks like it will work exactly the way I need it too. Look forward to working some of you guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: