Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: non-callsign License plates to ham-up the front bumper of my new car???  (Read 9460 times)
KA4LFP

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »

Hi all -

I want to put some sort of Amateur Radio related license plate on the front of my new car.

I'm going to move the NC-issued callsign tag to the back at some point, but
I'm looking around for license plates for the front that are radio-related.

Unless I'm just Googling wrong, I can't avoid hitting all the places that mention callsign-State issued plates.

Anyone got any sites that sell the sort of plate for the front of the car that is radio related?
Kinda like you'd have for a university logo or something like that, but radio related...

73, KA4LFP

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »

Any sign shop worth their salt can make you anything you want. Years ago, I had one made for my Merkur, which read: SEXR4ME I think it cost me $25.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

find some one who does license plate frames like at the local mall and do one of those with any center, or see if Vista Print has something magnetic or such, or google it !!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »

There's a kiosk at a mall here that makes the whole plate.  You choose from a selection of pre-painted "background" metal plates with logos and colors, then you add your text or graphics which are in the form of machine-cut decals.   Something ham radio related might be a plate that mimics your home state plate with "QRZ?" or "CW FAN" or whatever.   Google "custom license plates" and there is no end to online sources for these.

The ARRL sells a ham plate, if you don't mind advertising the ARRL on your car:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/License-Plate-Frame/
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-License-Plate/

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

Hi all -

I want to put some sort of Amateur Radio related license plate on the front of my new car.

Unless I'm just Googling wrong, I can't avoid hitting all the places that mention callsign-State issued plates.

Anyone got any sites that sell the sort of plate for the front of the car that is radio related?
Kinda like you'd have for a university logo or something like that, but radio related...

73, KA4LFP

Does NC require one or two plates on the vehicle?  If only one plate on the rear of the car is necessary, you could have pretty much what you want on the front of the car.  California requires two plates, one on the front and one on the rear so all we can do is add custom license plate frames.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

Look at you state prison system.  The inmates probably make the plates and the state usually runs an inmate store that sells custom plates. I know Arizona does this.  Take a look. You might be surprised what they do.

Rick wn2c
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:45:10 AM »

The League store sells a nice plate. http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-License-Plate/  As a former rear plate only PA resident, I had a "QST" flag plate on mine, using stripes to spell out QST, but ARRL no longer carries it. http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/int-arrl.html
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »

>> ... I want to put some sort of Amateur Radio related license plate on the front of my new car.

Do you drive in reverse a lot? Wo will be seeing a plate on the front? (grin)

How about an ARRL Centennial sticker on the BACK of your car somewhere?

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Centennial-Sticker

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »

Try:  http://www.hamstuff.com/plates_html/Licplate.html

Check your local laws.  Some states have laws against putting a home made plate on your car that MIGHT be confused as an actual state vehicle plate.  Particularly letters and numbers.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »

Sorry, I mis read your Subject line.  Non-callsign plates, sorry.

Terry WØFM
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »

Hi all -

73, KA4LFP

Does NC require one or two plates on the vehicle?  If only one plate on the rear of the car is necessary, you could have pretty much what you want on the front of the car.  California requires two plates, one on the front and one on the rear so all we can do is add custom license plate frames.

Same in Texas. Must have a front and rear plate.
N5UD
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »

I've got a Vibroplex plate on the front of my truck.  It's a pretty good looking ham radio plate.

Mike
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »

Another thing to check is the license Plate Frame, if you use one.

In Oregon, the tags are on the bottom of the Plate; in most states they are on top. Frame makers, who put cute slogans and such on the frames, usually put cutouts for the tags on top. As a result, if your tags are on the bottom, the bottom of the frame mostly covers them. I talked to the police and they said you "probably" wouldn't get a ticket. But they sort of also said if you ticked a cop off or he was having a bad day, he could add the blocking of the tags (not completely but mostly) to any ticket.

You could go three lifetimes and having those tags partly covered would never be a problem. But they couldn't guarentee it would never be an issue.

Paul K7NHB
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 01:53:48 AM »

Hello.

Here in Texas it is only a license plate in front and rear, bumper stickers are OK, does not matter what state you are from.
I have this Humvee with Texas and Mexico license plates.
I WILL get a ticket!
I simply show the paperwork to the DA and that is the end of that.
I had one cop write me up 3 times until I let the case go to court and let the judge handle it.
Some cops can be a pain.
I go into and out of Mexico as a matter of course.
K4MSM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »

I have used a company in Texas to design several plates; great work, great service.
Check them out: buildasign.com

K4MSM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: