Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kantronics KPC 3, Help Neede Please!  (Read 25416 times)
ZS1AVN

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

Good day

I recently purchased a Kantronics in the hopes of getting me up and running on APRS. I in the meantime purchased all the adaptors and cabling to make the wires for radio to modem and modem to PC. I soldered and made the wires according to minimal diagrams off the net. I tried to get it up and running but unfortunately I
was unsuccessful.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and could perhaps give me guidance/diagrams etc. I'm using a Kantronics KPC 3 and Kenwood TM-281A 2m base radio with a 8 pin RJ45 mic connector and speaker jack.

I would really really appreciate it if I could get help.

Greetings from Cape Town

Many thanks

Adriaan
ZS1AVN
adriaan.niekerk@gmail.com
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:59:10 AM by ZS1AVN » Logged

----------------------------------------------------
"You can have the best rig in the world but a bad antenna is no good"

Adriaan van Niekerk
ZS1AVN
Cape Town, South Africa
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »

Hi Adriraan.  You did not specify what problems you are experiencing.  I own a KPC 3 and a KPC 3+ that I use for APRS (APRSIS32), but I use them with a Yaesu FT-5100 rather than a Kenwood.  Nevertheless, I researched your radio and the connections appear to be as follows.  I will reference the DB9 radio connection pins as viewed from the rear of the KPC 3 to the 8 pin RJ-45 shown in the Kenwood Manual.  The pins on the DB9 are arranged from top row, left to right, numbered 5 -1, and bottom row, left to right, numbered 9 - 6.  

DB9 KPC 3 Pin 1 = Kenwood Pin 6 (Microphone Audio)

DB9 KPC 3 Pin 3 = Kenwood Pin 4 (PTT)

DB9 KPC 3 Pin 9 = Kenwood Pin 3 (Microphone Ground)

DB9 KPC 3 Pin 5 = Kenwood External Speaker (Positive)

DB9 KPC 3 Pin 6 = Kenwood External Speaker (Negative)

The KPC 3 to computer connection uses a standard 25 pin serial port.  I believe your computer may need to have a dedicated serial port to work with the KPC 3.  You didn't indicate whether your computer has a serial port. If not, I don't know if the KPC 3 will work with a USB to serial port adaptor if you plan to try and use one of those.  First, I would suggest getting the KPC 3 to Computer link established first using a simple terminal program like hyperterminal.  

The KPC 3 to computer link can sometimes be a little problematic to establish when trying to get the computer to communicate with the TNC.  You might have to perform a hard reset a few times to get things going at first.  I believe it defaults to Com 1@2400 baud, 8-1-N.  If your computer has a built in telephone modem, sometimes these can cause a problem, because the windows terminal program always tries to default to that device.  I usually remove any old telephone modems from the computer if they are not being used.  

What problems are you experiencing?

Jim AB4D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:36:22 PM by AB4D » Logged
ZS1AVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »

Hi Tim

Many thanks for your time and effort! The current problems I'm experiencing are when I connect all the wires from the radio to the modem and modem to PC nothing on the KPC lights up. I strongly suspect a wirng problem. Not sure if there is anything specific I must do. My computer fortunately does have a serial port but it's not 25 pin, it's a DB 9. So there may also be a problem from the 25 pin to 9 pin.

Is there anything specific I must do for the KPC to connect to the radio?

Thanks you so much! Greatly appreciated

Adriaan
ZS1AVN

Adriaan van Niekerk
ZS1AVN
Cape Town, South Africa
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »

there may also be a problem from the 25 pin to 9 pin.
Common IBM Modem serial cable (25-pin M to 9-pin F) is all that is needed.
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/1663146

Virtually every computer store in world had these cables in 1980s and 1990s
I find them in old store inventories, surplus, Goodwill, technology trash, etc,
for only a couple of dollars.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:41:49 AM by W9GB » Logged
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »

Hi Tim

Many thanks for your time and effort! The current problems I'm experiencing are when I connect all the wires from the radio to the modem and modem to PC nothing on the KPC lights up. I strongly suspect a wirng problem. Not sure if there is anything specific I must do. My computer fortunately does have a serial port but it's not 25 pin, it's a DB 9. So there may also be a problem from the 25 pin to 9 pin.

Is there anything specific I must do for the KPC to connect to the radio?

Thanks you so much! Greatly appreciated

Adriaan
ZS1AVN

Adriann, as noted by W9GB, a 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable or a 25 to 9 pin serial adaptor should work for the computer to TNC connection.  Once you launch the terminal program and have the initial communication settings correct (Com 1, either 1200 or 2400 baud, and 8-1-N), a hard reset of the TNC should trigger it to respond with "Press * to set baud" and then it should ask you for your call sign.  As I stated before, I recommend getting that part working first.  

You indicate that nothing lights up.  I assume that at least the power LED on the TNC is lighting, Correct? 

In relation to the radio, if you have the DB9 radio cable wired correctly, just opening the squelch on the radio should trigger the RCV LED on the front of the TNC.  If not, there may be other reasons of why it's not working, besides being wired incorrectly. It is possible that an internal jumper is not set correctly if you purchased it used.  There are different internal jumpers that can be set if someone previously needed to use it with an HT or data cable setup, that would make it not work correctly with your current method.  Additionally, there are internal attenuators as well that may cut off the audio below what the TNC may hear from your radio.  I advise, you should download the manual and look carefully at each jumper position and the internal attenuator to make sure they are set correctly.

Jim, AB4D  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:39:28 PM by AB4D » Logged
ZS1AVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

Thanks you so fellow amateurs!

I think you've got me on the right track now. Last thing I'm confused about is what is the best software to use?

Many thanks

Adriaan

Adriaan van Niekerk
ZS1AVN
Cape Town, South Africa
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »

Thanks you so fellow amateurs!

I think you've got me on the right track now. Last thing I'm confused about is what is the best software to use?

Many thanks

Adriaan

Some have their favorites.  However, I like APRSISCE/32.  It's freeware and is very well supported by it's author, Lynn, KJ4ERJ, as well as great peer to peer assistance through a yahoo group.

73, Jim

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com
ZS1AVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

Thanks very much Tim,

Hopefully well chat soon. Will let you know on update to see if I get it up and running.

Adriaan

Adriaan van Niekerk
ZS1AVN
Cape Town, South Africa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: