The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter AM nets?  (Read 15324 times)
N8LTD

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »

I found a couple of websites that list am nets, but don't know how up to date they are. I don't see any 6 meter nets in my region, but one of my amateur radio dreams is to check in on one during a good band opening. Does anyone know of any 6m AM nets that are active?
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

I saw a six meter AM net in North Carolina spotted on 50.400 this afternoon.

Dave, N6ORB
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »

There was some off an on activity in Western Mass/Northern CT on 50.4 AM years ago. Even had an AM repeater set up. Best thing to do is toss a call out anytime the SSB folks are busy (or just for the hang of it anytime when hams might be one between supper and bedtime). You might get lucky. Some really great openings were had when I was more active there that way. (Old HW10).

Oh and PUHLEASE! Do NOT have lock down the mic chats when the band is open. Others might want to join in *UGH* always painful to sit through!
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »

Hello.

VHF? AM?
The last time I saw a VHF AM rig was in the UK, some taxis had this 60 MHz thing.
But, Other than that, and of course FM, some SSB, I see little 6 meter.
My VX-7r can do 6 meter AM, but I have never once used AM.
Thank you
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

It's being tried here locally in a mountainous region.
The copy is rough so not many new check ins are coming forth.
The people are going to try to go from beams to horizontal omni antennas in hopes of hearing more.
I cannot understand giving up gain and ERP for Omni direction when many are running 10 to 25 watts.
What's needed is more power in this application and a 3 element  beam so the pattern is not so narrow but still get 3db of gain to hear with.
I can give 7 + signals from my 25 watts and a 3 element home made beam and 30 over 9 with a couple hundred watts but can't hear the low power and poor antennas in use.
High gain antennas have patterns too narrow and are just about as bad as low power if not pointed to the other station.
A net is not very successful like this if most cannot be heard.
I've tried to explain it but they are not wanting to hear it so it will remain a local friends net and a learning experience.
Good luck.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:48:45 AM »

I experience the same thing on 6M SSB nets. When the net control is calling for check-ins from my area he is S9+ and solid copy. As soon as he swings his beam to another area he is down in the noise. The result is that I spend the majority of an hour long net listening to dead air and soon loose interest in the net.

With an Omni antenna I have an S5+ noise level from the power lines on many days. With a 4 el Yagi pointed away from the power lines the noise level is S0.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »

The best way to have a local/area/regional net when one is not already in existance is to start your own.

Get in that mode's allocation on that band and call CQ....do it ever day/evening on the same frequency for weeks.  If you never get an answer -- then you have your answer.
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

Thanks guys. I'll get on 50.4 AM and listen and call CQ at least 2 or 3 times a week and see what happens.
N4TL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »

There is an AM 6 Meter net on 50.400 Monday night 7PM local time in the Raleigh NC area.  Listen for WA3UTC. He starts out with a omnidirectional antenna then changes to a beam and sweeps it 360 degrees.

73 Tom N4TL

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »

Hello.

VHF? AM?
The last time I saw a VHF AM rig was in the UK, some taxis had this 60 MHz thing.
Thank you

Most every time 6 meters is open which is quiet a bit lately,there are usually a few AM'ers on 6 meters on 50.400.Far from a Rare thing but it does require going there & listening usually or seeing them on a band scope which I do.I don't know if it still goes on but there was an AM 6 meter net every Sunday evening from the panhandle of Florida & there were usually 20 or more check ins every week & sometimes many more.I am NOT a net person because even JESUS knows nets are for fish.  Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80
K9EID

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »

Six Meter AM is alive!   Having been on since the 'hey day' in the mid 50's through the mid 60's,  I usually move out of the SSB portion to leave room for the new guys and park on 50.400 listening and working the AM stations.   Fun to hear the Communicators and once in a great while - Sixers !  I am only saddened that everyone was not around to experience the thrills of building our own rigs and antennas.   Grid Squares have actually 'killed' 6 meters for having regular ragchew QSOs.  Six meters, being open just about 24/7 in those great days was much like 75 meter ragchews here in the Midwest during that fantastic sunspot cycle.   Now, it is 30 second "what is your grid square" and the station is gone.   See you on 50.4.   K9EID
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:24 PM »

Hi Bob,
I monitor daily with my Hallicrafters SR-46:
http://www.parelectronics.com/vintage-Hallicrafters-6M-AM-SR-46.php

And my Lafayette HA-650 +  amplifier
http://www.parelectronics.com/vintage-lafayette-ha-650.php

Dale W4OP
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »

If you are in the Northeast check 50.4 between 9-11PM. Some stations are well equipped and on a good night I can work from here in Southeastern NH to the Buffalo NY area. On an average night 10-25W small/low antenna stations in the Albany NY area are easily workable

Clegg Zeus at 125W plate modulated and Interceptor B receiver to a home brew 8el at 60'.

Carl
On 6M since 1956
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »

Hello.

VHF? AM?
Thank you

And the lock your mind has had the key throw away and lost. Really!? Simply because you don't know of something it's no longer valid and should be diminished in discussion?

I own six VHF AM rigs, which is do use regularly. Now in my area (NYC) there is activity. But simply because your experience is limited, a blanket statement as to the irrelevance of a mode based on you lacking experience is not constructive to this thread, quite frankly. It only shows your intolerance to what you are unfamiliar with. That being said, you should explore more in the hobby. You'll find there is much more than simplex and repeaters. Amateur Radio is about exploring all the many options, choices and technical flavors afforded by your license. Otherwise, CB is all one needs.

Thank you Roll Eyes

To the OP, the best way get on 6M AM is to just do it. 6M is always hit and miss, it's one of more challenging bands to operate on any mode; it's kinda like HF but acts out like VHF. To tame it you must work it. Just get on and call CQ. I do it once a night and most times get a reply. Yes ... AM. It's out there, you just gotta believe.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:34:08 PM by W2WDX » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: