Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KA9ILQ Chicago Scammer?  (Read 6607 times)
K7ORA

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »

Huh Anyone had a bad (or good) experience with Tom Benner KA9ILQ of West Chicago?  I sent him money in good faith and he continues to delay sending the gear.  However, he is still answering my emails.
Thank you all kindly,  Jim K7ORA
W9DEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:52:22 AM »

If he only wanted a money order, and had you sent it to his business address you were scammed by a scofflaw that impersonates many hams and is a true ripoff artist .
The authorities don't do enough to catch these crooks. PayPal is your best insurance.
W9DEC
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

He may have physical and other health issues making it hard for him to function if the post below is true.

Posted Sept 13, 2013:  http://cnyhams.com/hamblog/?page_id=941&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=46.0#postid-59
I had this below rigs before my plan crash accident. After then have not been a complete human being. This accident made me a deaf person. I need to get this item sold for my health issue.

Ham Radio Gear For Sale below.
Kenwood TL-922A......$750 plus insure shipping
Kenwood TS-590S......$950 plus insure shipping
YAESU FTDX-5000......$2850 plus insure shipping
Flex 5000a.......$1850 plus insure shipping
Alpha 9500......$4250 plus insure shipping
Commander 2500 HF AMP......$ 1350 plus insure shipping

Looking to read from serious buyer. Thanks for reading.

Thanks
THOMAS...de..KA9ILQ
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »

Searching on KA9ILQ@yahoo.com, it looks like he posted an ad on a number of sites at the same time.  The combination of the email address, claimed deafness (to avoid phone calls maybe?), money order payment, multiple ads for this gear with no previous postings or follow-ups, and poor English) may indicate an imposter.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:29 PM »

As a former Green Bay Packers announcer used to say..."Flags all over the field!"
K7ORA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have seen parts of  his ad although Mr. Benner contacted me directly.  As we were trying to set a price he would email everyday, and even called once.   His address, license and location checked out OK so I sent him the money as he requested.
After that, I didn't get any shipping information.  Email's were only responded to once a week or longer, and He did imply sickness as an issue.
Ok, I am willing to cut some slack for somebody who's sick.  But this has continued for too long.
I'm about ready to jump in the truck and head for Chicago.  Anybody in Chicago know this fella, he is listed as a member of a local club.
73, K7ORA
W9DEC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:29:51 AM »

I had a crook from Chicago send me his driver  license to prove id and his address. He just took a sample license off the Illinois DOT page changed it to his name and address, The same way he provided a picture of the equipment for sale, stole a image  from another site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: