Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AH0K QSL  (Read 2103 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »

Hi has anyone been able to get a QSL out of AH0K? I worked them last year during one of the contests in the fall. I think the QSL manager changed at some point as I think originally the QSL manager might have been in Japan? I originally sent a direct QSL w/green stamps to the first manager right after the QSO. At some point I checked and I saw the QSL manager changed to someone in Finland. I've tried emailing the new QSL manger to find out if either QSL manager ever received my card - no reply (I only ask if they got my card.. NEVER a "Where's my card? email.. I realize they probably have to answer many cards or don't have a lot of spare time.. as long as I know they have it and they'll get around to it..). A few weeks ago I sent off a QSL w/green stamps to the new manager.

Has anyone had any luck getting a QSL for this station? It's an ATNO for me..
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »

No, but I have 4 other Mariana Islands QSOs confirmed with no problem.

Work another one.......... really not that rare.

GL/73, Gene AF3Y
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

AH0K was operated primarily by OH6RX and WX8C - each having Finnish and Stateside addresses (respectively) but both working and living full time in South Korea.  That may explain why your last QSL request disappeared.

I run into their new QSL manager OH6GDX from time-to-time on IRC chat.  If you don't see a response in a reasonable time period, I could ask him for a status update for you. Just let me know.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »

No, but I have 4 other Mariana Islands QSOs confirmed with no problem.

Work another one.......... really not that rare.

GL/73, Gene AF3Y

Mariana has been an elusive one for me as much as I see them spotted I can usually never hear them for some reason (wrong band / propagation timing, etc) I was hunting that one a few years. Palau, Micronesia and Brunei are three othes that are on a lot that I can never seem to hear either.

Dave, thanks for your offer to chat with OH6GDX on IRC. I'll give it some more time but maybe in a month or so if I haven't seen anything I'll ask you to check.
James
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »

T8 has a couple rental shacks primarily for catering to the JA visitor.  Both are located downtown near noisy power lines, which explains why Palau is somewhat rarer on the low bands.  There are no resident hams in T8.  Every once in a while a European or North American will operate from here and they seem to listen more for outside the OC/AS regions.

V6 seems to be activated 2-3 times a year, again primarily by JAs.  Most operations seem to be "holiday" style' beach side verticals or low portable yagis.  As far as I am aware, there are no resident hams in V6.

V8 has several resident hams, and they are quite active on the bands, but primarily on SSB and at all the wrong times for North America. 

Most of the JA hams, with some exceptions, seem most comfortable working Japanese stations.  They don't necessarily avoid North American contacts, but they choose their operating schedules around band openings to Japan.  I do know that many Oceania ops avoid European pileups because of the chaos factor.

None of these three are exceedingly rare - I hope you have a shot at working them during this sunspot peak!  V8 especially is active on 10SSB.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:34:53 AM »

T8 has a couple rental shacks primarily for catering to the JA visitor.  Both are located downtown near noisy power lines, which explains why Palau is somewhat rarer on the low bands.  There are no resident hams in T8.  Every once in a while a European or North American will operate from here and they seem to listen more for outside the OC/AS regions.

a friend operated from there this year below 20m the powerline noise was shocking so low band qso's will be rare till some one goes there dxpedition style and operates from out of town. he did work plenty of w's when he was there and even the europeans
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »

I wonder what the status is of what used to be the rental at Palau Pacific Resort?  That's where I op'd from in 2006. (T88MR)  It seems you never hear of anyone operating from there anymore so maybe all the stuff was packed up.  A Delta pilot friend of mine was there a couple years ago - I suggested he ask about it but don't remember what, if anything, he found out.  It's a nice place - but maybe too pricey for the average cheap ham!  Smiley
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:16 AM »

Hi James,   I sent a card to the original manager this winter and have not received a response.  Please update this thread if you have any luck.  I will do the same if I get a card.    73’s  Rich
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 07:27:54 AM »

I received an email from the QSL manager. He has the qso info stickers printed up and will be sending the cards out shortly. That is some good news.  Grin
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »

James,

I got my card today.  Hopefully you will see yours soon.

Thanks JP, Esa, and mgr OH6GDX for ATNO!   

Rich
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »

Rich,
My card arrived yesterday also! Another ATNO confirmed  Grin
Thanks to OH6GDX!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: