Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Concession  (Read 33805 times)
K5LXP

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

This will be bad news to the True Believers.

June 2014 QST, Page 75:

"To put it simply, we can help support emergency communications, but we are not an emergency communications service."
"The term, Public Service Communications is a more accurate Amateur Radio term..."
"Public Service is a term that most amateurs can rally behind.  "'EmComm' has been a dividing term, and this does not help Amateur Radio."

Just think of all the embroidered shirts, ID badges and safety vests that will have to get re-made.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »

I can easily see this headed to the eHam Semantics Court in which both sides will be defended by the usual Forum responders legal team. Wink
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

Just think of all the embroidered shirts, ID badges and safety vests that will have to get re-made.

I knew it! A conspiracy between the ARRL and the QST advertisers.  Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »

After years of pushing "emergency communication" as if it were the do all and end all of the league, now they're backpedaling?

Maybe something of what some of their membership has been complaining about is finally getting through to the top brass!
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »

I think they are stating the reality.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

June 2014 QST, Page 75:

"To put it simply, we can help support emergency communications, but we are not an emergency communications service."
"The term, Public Service Communications is a more accurate Amateur Radio term..."
"Public Service is a term that most amateurs can rally behind.  "'EmComm' has been a dividing term, and this does not help Amateur Radio."

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

So what happens to ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service)?  Does it now become ARPS (for Amateur Radio Public Service)?
W5DNT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »

Concession??? I seriously doubt it.

Perhaps this will help ARRL JUSTIFY RM-11708, by finally admitting the 1,000's of emails being routinely sent each day over HF, generating endless QRM to traditional users on RTTY, CW and even SSB (40M DX SSB split operations) are not really "emergency" but "public service" communications. 

Now the RM-11708 cheerleaders can hang their hat on "public service". Clever ARRL semantics, QRM still the same, worsening dramatically if RM-11708 is approved.

Most of this "public service" email traffic is from people that simply are too cheap to pay for an ISP or in the case of sailors, readily available maritime service.

All at the expense of traditional "human to human" amateur radio communications!

Public Service, here we go..... New badges, new car decals, new yellow vests, etc, etc., etc....

Sad
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:59:25 PM by W5DNT » Logged
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »

All the whackers, preppers, and hospital-hams, no need to panic just yet. ARRL store still has an Emergency Communications department. You can still get your yellow "Deployment Vests" and your "When All Else Fails" decals.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

All the whackers, preppers, and hospital-hams, no need to panic just yet. ARRL store still has an Emergency Communications department. You can still get your yellow "Deployment Vests" and your "When All Else Fails" decals. And you can keep your "G Boxes".

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:40:46 AM »

Are not emergency communications that are done for the public considered as public service communications?

If anything wouldn't public service communications widen the scope of possibilities to work with served agencies?

The answer really is: a) to what degree and ham or group of hams train to work with their served agencies. b)what served agencies need and ask for (if any).

So is it really a concession are a wider expanded name for what those who participate in working with served agencies actually do? Guess the only answers are: Yes it is a concession for those who do not like emcomm, or no concession for those who choose to participate.

Just another way to get the 2 sides to argue about it when there really is no argument. It is what it is, and you go for the ride, or you stay home. but neither side is wrong. As with other things in life...you choose what you want to do.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but the last time I saw the word "Concession" related in any way to the ARRL and membership was on a sign over a booth at Dayton selling soda, doughnuts and fried dough which was well attended by the EMCOMM niche boys.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »

Cheesy   Grin   Grin   Grin
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »

June 2014 QST, Page 75:

"Public Service is a term that most amateurs can rally behind.  "'EmComm' has been a dividing term, and this does not help Amateur Radio."

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

What kind of article is it published in?  Is it a commentary or a general article?  I don't get QST anymore and those that I know that do have not received it yet.
Maybe the liability bug finally caught up with them that an attorney wrote a commentary about a few months ago.

http://www.arrl.org/ares-el?issue=2014-01-15#toc04
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:32:52 PM by KS4VT » Logged
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 04:00:29 AM »

Yeah, I figure the league finally figured out that id they push Hams acting like wackers, then they can have liability in court.  The league is the group that promotes it.  Look at hate groups of any sort and you will find their leaders involved in the legal battles right beside those that committed illegal acts.  If some ham goes out and gets killed in his orange vest, their family could EASILY sue the league for promoting the Emergency Communications thing.  This especially extends the the weather spotter groups were guys get too close to a storm and end up hurt or worse.  Look for requirements for proper training to report weather to skywarn before long.  We live in a society where lawyers run around with "ISUE4U" on their license plate, chasing the ambulance down the street.  If they can convince 12 people that there is liability then they get paid.
W1KRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:08:49 AM »

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." When I first got into ham radio
"ARES" was still "ARPSC" - the Amateur Radio Public Service Corps. I think the name change
took place in the '70s. So, what's next ? Spark Transmitters?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: