Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing I Really Like About CW  (Read 15987 times)
KB3ONA

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »

I'm primarily a CW/QRP op and I've recently been doing a lot of digital modes which I also enjoy. One thing I've noticed about digital QSO's though is they mostly occur on the highest non-WARC frequencies supporting propagation, and recently that's been 20m. In my experience lately it's been rare to find PSK or Olivia signals on 30m, 40m, or 80m which I think is a shame because digital modes do quite well on those bands. In contrast CW can be found on most any band at all times of the day. There are many reasons why I like CW but I think that is one of the top reasons - you never have a problem finding a CW signal no matter what band you're tuned in to. It makes it easier to target locations that may not be open on the higher frequencies or are open to the WARC bands. Just my $0.02.

Gene
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »

I kinda agree with KB3ONA statement, BUT I am not a CW/QRP operator.

I enjoy digital (mostly Olivia and PSK) modes, with getting back into CW.
My power is never above 90-watts, not QRP though.

He's correct about 20-meters; digital QSO's are rare on 80, 40, & 30m.
The CW mode does seem to be popular.

Ken KC8Y
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »

Digital QSOs seem to pick up, particularly on 80 and 40, in the winter months.  Even 160 has digital QSOs in the winter up around 1838 kHz.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »

We were looking for PSK on 40 ( 40 used to be the hangout) during Field day but also noticed the migration to 20. What's up with that?

WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

Another random observation: this afternoon I've been monitoring 15 meters from Minnesota. I watched the waterfall on the PSK freq and saw little to no activity. Switched over to WSJT and started monitoring JT65 and it was hopping. I wasn't paying attention but looked up and saw that I missed a CQ from a 4Z5. I am seeing South Americans working Europe. As one ham in England said, he'd rather watch paint dry than work JT65 but if you just want to log some DX it's a viable alternative and the growth with JT65 has amazed me. I started using it about 4 years ago and thought it wouldn't ever catch on. Man, was I wrong.

73 Doc WB0FDJ
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »

Good subject.  I jumped on psk years ago, when i rcd my new qst in the mail, it had a 2page how to for psk.  Off to RS i went.  Three hours later i was on psk.  Slow typing, no buffers, as was most people were new and green at that time.  Wow, what a blast that was.  I was one happy little camper.  80 meters, 40 meters, some 30 meters.  20 meters, 17, 15 you get the idea.  80 was my fav.  Loved the early morning psk rag chews out 50 to several hundred miles.  40 daytime was fun and active too.  No, not perfect print, but neither was our typing, but it was all good.  As time went on and as the sport picked up popularity and the outstanding keyboard jockies joined in it began to change.  Rummors of 80 meters not suited for psk mode began to surface.  People began to leave 80 then eventually 40 meters.  I remember well, one guy sent me a long one telling me why 80 meters was not suitable any more.  Heck we were on 80 meters at the time while he was sharring his findings with me.  I had what i called good enough print.  Eventually everyone migrated to 20. I lost interest, went back to cw.  Toooooooo many buffed up qso's out there with perfect print for this old fart. 
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26:22 PM »

What's not to like?

IARS contest 15M 20M at high noon at my QTH today

73  W9OY
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:35:33 PM by W9OY » Logged
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »

Lee, its hard to get used to the panadapter display on the flex. I am used to cranking the fft down and changing the look to peaks instead of outlines.
I hope to see the add on's for making the display custom with the flex. Looks very difficult to find weak signals with out the panafall. Look at he weak signals at 14.028, those would be a peak on the Anans software. You may be able to hear them just the same. Just visuals

Greg kc8iir
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »

Yes, CW is still popular. Have similar picture of 20m using my KX3 and the software panadapter in Win4K3Suite, but your panadapter is visually unappealing for the price you pay for a Flex box.

Don KF7DS
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

Greg   You can do that if you like.  The control is a slider called average.  It causes stations weak or strong to rise out of the noise.  My technique is to slow down the waterfall and crank the gain.  It provides a clear indication down to 1dB above the noise if what you are seeing is coherent or random.  Also after you get used to looking its not hard to pick weak signals out of the panadapter

73  W9OY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: