Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Damage to CW from The Internet  (Read 4605 times)
KB6PJU

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »

The Damage Done by not proofreading before you post- by KB6PJU-Mark

I am a 30+ year ham Radio Operator, Extra Class now. I took on a local new Ham as his Elmer. He and I are both deeply involved in learning Morse Code,and we were being taught starting last January by WA6FFT-Phil. During our first CW session together, we came upon a letter that our new Ham friend had learned wrong. It was the letter "P", which both Phil and I share in name ,or callsign. Our buddy had downloaded a code chart for his shack wall from the internet. I admit ,it IS a pretty one, feng sui being important in a Ham Shack. The problem is that the letter "P" is not dit-dah-dit-dah, but rather dit-dah-dah-dit. He argued vehemently that he knew what a "P" was in Morse Code. He had downloaded a chart off "The Internet" and studied it for a coupla months so far, and it was hilarious to him the 2 Hams of over 30 years experience wouldn't know what a "P" was. Well, "PJU" and Phil-FFT both said "Bon Jour" simultaneously , and told him that all internet content isn't necessarily correct or true.
The website is http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-126209-1.html and the mistake shown is in the "Easy Morse Code Chart" in the explainations below each letter to guide you in understanding the method.Unfortunately, he took the internet as truth always[bon jour]
He has now spent the last 5 months UN-learning the letter "P" he learned incorrectly. I attempted to find the offending website, but it had been removed due to hosting fees unpaid. Well.....it is now back up,and heres the web address.If the webmaster gets one letter, he ignores it, but a bunch will be hard to ignore Maybe if this guy gets enough nasty-grams,he will learn to proof-read his content before posting trash to the internet that causes huge harm to new hams.

Mark-KB6PJU
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »

I have never seen such a stupid chart in my life..  The first mistake is learning by the chart and not by the sound..   Unlearn and move on..

"if it's on the internet it must be true" ..   studied for a couple of months..  the sounds can be learned in a couple  of days..  Fred
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said, "Never argue with an idiot because a bystander won't be able to tell which is which."

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »

Actually I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

And maybe it was Mark Twain who also said, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth (or post something on the Internet) and remove all doubt!"
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »

While it's unfortunate that your friend used that chart, which I personally find "annoying" to look at, it's not from an authoritative site where the focus IS International Morse Code. In fact, it's just a random posting to a photography site!

As mentioned previously, it's about listening and memorizing sounds rather than sequences of dits and dahs.
He should have been using a trainer like one of these to learn the letters and numbers, etc:
http://www.g4fon.net/
or
http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/
These folks have invested some serious effort in promoting the art.

KB6PJU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »

One thing I DID forget to mention. I am now holding a Morse Code RECEIVING class on a local 2 meter repeater here in San Diego 3 nights a week [Tues,Thur,Sat ] for an hour each night. We are using the output from the Just Learn Morse Code program in Farnsworth method, and having a great time doing so. All members are seeing a steady improvement in their code reading capabilities,as am I. I was unable to get past 8wpm manually due to Multiple Sclerosis effects on my learning capabilities [inability to just put a line where I missed a letter....perfection-ism I guess]. My code elmer,WA6FFT,worked with myself and the young ham who downloaded the chart to learn from, over the air on 10 meters for about 2 months. I am now comfortable at 14 WPM most days from his Farnsworth style training technique and skills on the key. I do agree about that particular chart system,and find it clumsy. But, whatever works is a good thing. Everyone needs to learn by the method they are best taught by.
Mark-KB6PJU
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »

IU: 

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth (or post something on the Internet) and remove all doubt!"

To remove a bit of confusion, are you referring to the "chart" or me?
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »

Omg, i hope looking at that chart hasnt permanently removed my ability to copy the letter P. i shouldn't have clicked on it.  But I had to after reading the first comment.  My my my, think ill have a cold one.  Good luck to both of you with your cw quest.  You made the right move by posting here. Now lets see P-----/di da di da/da di da di?  Oh crap!  Darn, the chart from hell. Sigh.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: