Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exterior Wall Penetration options?  (Read 24294 times)
NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »

I ran underground, three 2" schedule 40 PVC conduits from the base of my tower along a 70 foot run to the house. Sweeping 90 bends at each end with the tower side coming into a junction box where the lightning protection is located, tying into the tower ground. The end at the house terminates into Cantex LBs that are drilled through the stone work. Inside the garage another junction box takes the outside feeds and joins them to the conduit runs that feed the radio room where the cables are all terminated in a wall mounted patch panel. The photo of the wall mount box in the radio room does not show all the cables as this was a work in progress when the photo was taken. The one inch PVC above the Cantex LBs is used to bring utility power to the tower. The rotor connector is an 8 pin Neutrik Speakon connector.

The original cable runs to the tower came out of the attic above the garage, ran under the walkway through the drain pipe and above ground to the tower with no lightning protection. Since this is central Texas west of I-35, putting the conduits underground meant renting a rock saw. Cutting the trench was an all day job.

73 de na6m

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:23:40 AM by NA6M » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

N6AM...Very nice and neat install. Functional and looks good. A great combination!
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 07:13:27 AM »

NA6M - Nice job! Is it on the air yet?
NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

Yes it is!

NA6M - Nice job! Is it on the air yet?
NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

We have been on the air quite a bit recently, operating as W1AW/5.

73 de na6m
KD6NIG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

I rent so I didn't want to drill any holes, obviously.

But a window A/C unit I put into the window near where my station was left about a 1" gap on each side.  I moved the AC to one side to get a 2" gap, and on the inside I use the plastic thing it came with to "block" the hole on the inside.  On the outside I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the gap, leaving a 2" gap at the bottom.

When I have to run coax through, I just remove the screw on the inside, stick the coax under and out through the hole.

The gap is filled with foam insulation, and I pack the area the coax goes through with a sandwich bag filled with small packing peanuts, I kind of wrap it around the cable bundle.

Grounding is accomplished outside since a water spigot is right there, although I'm also working on getting a ground rod in as well.  The patio is poured concrete, but its well over 20 years old so the wood they used to create "gaps" in it about 1" wide is rotting away.  I plan on putting a rod about 5" away from the house so its not easily tripped over in one of those gaps.

The electric panel is grounded to the same spigot so everything will tie together.  

I would get more elaborate but since I don't know how long I will be in this rental I'm doing my best to do things that will not leave too many holes, etc.  I do like a lot of the ideas here for sure, and will think of them if I ever do purchase a home, but for now I have to work with what I have.  I'll feel a lot better about things when I have a good ground rod at the entry way, even though California overall doesn't get nearly the amounts of lightning (at least where I am) compared to other places.

When I leave the rental the only evidence of Ham Radio should be the ground rod and a few holes where I attached push up poles for verticals.

Ironically when I was looking for a spot for the pole I put my vhf/uhf vertical on, I found a ground rod against the garage right where I was planning on putting it.  It is there because the garage is detached and has a sub-panel with 4 breakers in it for the garage lights, etc.  I will keep it in mind as well if I add or modify antennas in the future.

And I like your setup for sure, N6AM.  I worked you on 20 if you were the /5 operating within the past few weeks.  Your antenna system likely pulled my little 25W into an inverted V right out no problem Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: