Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on remote location  (Read 39860 times)
NO9E

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »

I need some discussion on buying property for remote operation.

My QTH is on 3/4 acre lot. The biggest issue is RFI from multiple sources: power line, left neighbor, right neighbor, .... Problems come back. My wife does not want to move as the current house is in a nice neighborhood and too far away from town. Replacing her is out of question but she support getting a  new QTH for me, especially if it does not lose too much value. 

I like to contest all bands and particularly 160m. 

There are a few properties within 45 minutes. Some with good house and some with with mobile houses barely standing. Some with 4 acres and some with 19. Some close to good roads with high density of mobile-house communities, some in the middle of nowhere. More expensive and easier to sell and vice versa. Costs include taxes and maintenance.

If anybody contemplated such decisions, please share you thoughts.

Ignacy, NO9E

K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »

Underground utilities will give you less power line noise.  If not, distance of 500 ft or so will likely be ok.  Stay away from the big high voltage lines.  You will need fast internet.  Not always available in rural areas.  DSL is limited by distance.  Cable may be non-existent.  Satellite no good for remote operation due to high latency.  Obviously check out county/other jurisdiction restrictions on towers and antennas.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »

Before you buy, check with friends and relatives that might have a suitable location and be willing to permit you to erect antennas as well as to provide you with space for a well ventilated cabinet to house your equipment. 
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »

Before you buy, check with friends and relatives that might have a suitable location and be willing to permit you to erect antennas as well as to provide you with space for a well ventilated cabinet to house your equipment. 

Don't forget payment agreement for electricity and internet.  I'm considering putting one up at my mom's house across town since I live in an HOA community and that's one thing she already asked me.  It's warm there during the summer so I'll have to run an a/c during the day.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W2RE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »

Here is a few things to consider:

1.) Must have permission in the Town to erect Amateur Radio Tower, do your homework and check the zoning.
2.) Must have high speed internet at the site. DSL or Cable (no satellite). 1mb up and down will suffice.
3.) To build a decent one tower remote station fully automated with 1KW is $25K-$50K. (budget this cost)
4.) Do a thorough noise test of the new qth on HF, If possible rent/lease before you buy.
5.) Rent the home to a friend/ham, you will need there help to reboot equipment, and to take the site down in T-storms.
6.) Good Luck, its a huge undertaking to build a remote station (not as easy as most think).

Ray W2RE
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:38:09 AM »

Don't forget to look into any Insurance policy issues on your proposed  property or that of a friend's or relative's property where you may install your remote station that my cause you claims problems in case of fire, lightning, burglary, vandalism, etc.  There may also be some unexpected legal liabilities involved going this route.  Get some legal advice with an attorney first.  Good luck and 73.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: