Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ANAN-NET is alive!  (Read 11860 times)
K0JTA

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »

Good day, all;

First of all, I must apologize for my lack on follow-up information (reporting) on the then-PROPOSED on-the-air-net for the ANAN users!  I have completed four sessions so far and it is in its infancy, but it is (apparently) going to fly!  I will offer a list of check-ins to the four net sessions (which met at 12:15 PM, Central time) that have now been completed as follows:

Date:  April-27-2014 (on 14.225.5 Mhz)
W7GVW (Steve in Montana) with an ANAN-100D, hex-beam at 60'
K5SO (Joe in New Mexico) with an ANAN-100D, 3-el at 70'
W9AD (Dave in Illinois) ANAN-100D
GI4FZD (Missed his name, ion Belfast, Northern Ireland) Via several LIVESTREAM comments

Date: May 4, 2014 (on 14.222.5 Mhz)
KE3VG (Micash) ANAN-100D (?)
N1EU (Barry in New York) Anan-100D
N1RX (Bruce in New Hampshire) ANAN-100D
W7GVW (Steve in Montana) ANAN-100D
N5DOA (Don in Missouri) ANAN-100D or a Flex-5000
N7CMJ (Les in Montana) Flex-5000a, 4-el quad
N5IFH (Roger in New York) 100 watts, radio unknown

Date: May 11, 2014 (on 14.222.5 Mhz)
W1TR (Terry in Connecticut) ANAN-100D, 2-el antenna
N1RX (Bruce)
W9AD (Dave in Illinois) ANAN-100D -Relayed by N1RX

Date: May 18, 2014 (on 14.225 Mhz)
KE6YC (Woo, in San Diego, CA) ANAN-200D (New SDR, new ANA-200D, new questions)
N5DOA (Don in Missouri) ANAN-100D or a Flex-5000
KB3WQI (Ed in Pennsylvania) Radio, antenna unknown
WA7AE/M (Randy)  MOBILE station!

The above summarizes the first four sessions, per my poor notes.  I am pleased to note that we had Woo (KE6YC) check in with several very good comments and questions about his brand new ANAN-200d!  -I say this as this is the kind of thing that I am hoping for, that people come aboard with points of interest, questions, and the like.  -Also, Joe (K5SO) was in the very first session, and my point of interest here was that (per my 'notes,' again) he has experience and action in the SOFTWARE portion of the SDR project!  (He also has a prototype 200D board which I believe he called an ORION.)

There is a MICROCOMPUTER NET on 14.225 Mhz, and they have been there for many years.  Yesterday, I did not hear any activity at all, so I decided to 'park' on this frequency.

By the way, if we are 2.5 Khz below this frequency (14.222.5 Mhz) please do consider decreasing your transmitter bandwidth to 2.5 Khz maximum.  (This will help us be 'good neighbors' to those above us.)

Is there anyone that might be willing to assist in the very easy-going NCS, or net control station duties?  Sometimes, I may not be able to be there, of course!  (Example: Our youngest son and his family will be here next weekend, which might conflict!)

One last point:   I had chosen a meet time of 12:15 Central-LOCAL time, or 1715Z; -Is a LATER time advisable?  (1 PM?  2PM?)  Any and all comments are welcome!  Unless something comes up, I will PLAN TO MEET NEXT SUNDAY AT JUST AFTER NOON, CENTRAL TIME again, just as we have done in the past.

Thank you all for your interest!

73;   -Mike-   KØJTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »

A quick note:  I am unable to be there for today's net!  If someone can fill in, PLEASE DO.

Just to recap, the net has been meeting at 12:15 PM, CENTRAL TIME.
The FREQUENCY has been 14.322.5 Mhz.  (Last week, it was on 14.325 Mhz.)

Please set your transmit bandwidth to 2.5 Khz, just so we'd be "good neighbors" to the folks that are above us.

I will be streaming my station on 14.322.5 Mhz, in my absence:
http://www.livestream.com/k0jta

Thank you!   

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »

Good day;

The net still has some activity, even though I have been either POWER CHALLENGED OR TIME RESTRICTED!!

Today, I am at camp, running 100 watts into a 75m dipole at 18 feet.

Drop in, if you can, please!  The suggested time is 1715Z, or 12:15 Central local time.  The meet frequency is 14.225.5 Mhz, USB. 

I will try to check in and participate as much as I can, but my hopes are not all that high.  -Plus it is FD, so there will maybe be a lot of compitetion.

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:08:57 AM »

At least you will have technology  at your fingertips that  can tell who is clean and who is running excessive selfish TX bandwidth. I will be listening remotely to
see how  how clean all the pure signals  are with pre-distortion.

Enjoy!

A quick note:  I am unable to be there for today's net!  If someone can fill in, PLEASE DO.

Just to recap, the net has been meeting at 12:15 PM, CENTRAL TIME.
The FREQUENCY has been 14.322.5 Mhz.  (Last week, it was on 14.325 Mhz.)

Please set your transmit bandwidth to 2.5 Khz, just so we'd be "good neighbors" to the folks that are above us.

I will be streaming my station on 14.322.5 Mhz, in my absence:

Thank you!   

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:33 AM »

As a reminder, there is a weekly net for the ANAN users and SDR-interest folks.  It meets each Sunday at 12:15 PM, central time (1715Z) on 14.322.5 Mhz.

All in all, the net has had fairly good activity, with several participants.  Not all have been ANAN or SDR users, but the interest level in this new generation of "software defined radios" that we are enjoying.

In the past, as net control for the ANAN-NET, I have used my ANAN-100 barefoot, as the term goes.  I now have an Ameritron AL-80B amplifier, and per Woo (KE6YC, in the San Diego area) and others, it is making the difference!  -In the past, I have always noted that I HEAR a lot better than others are HEARING ME. -So the amp is long overdue and is a worthwhile addition to my station.

So, do drop in!  -Don't just LISTEN, but check in.  (Please!)  Also, please do spread the word of the net. 

Please do consider Woo (KE6YC) as an active NCS (net control station) as well; His location and station offers him a very good location to cover a major portion of the USA.  (Thank you, Woo, for your past service!)   I am located in SE Minnesota, and I am using a loop antenna, so my pattern is mostly omnidirectional.  So far, between the two of us, we seem to be covering stateside and Canada fairly well.

One person had offered that the 1715Z time was not fitting his life-style; -I am open to any and all suggestions!  (Time of day, frequency, meeting day of the week and so on.)

One last thing to consider: Set your radio's TRANSMIT bandwidth to 2500 Hz, so that we do not interfered with the MICRO COMPUTER net that is on 14.325 Mhz.  (It's always good to be a good neighbor.)

For your possible interest, I will be internet-streaming my station while I am on 14.322.5 Mhz.  Use any web browser, and load the following link.  It is a free system, so you may have to endure a short commercial.  Once this is done, you will see a portion of my computer screen that is running the ANAN-100 radio.  There is a DELAY that is present on this system, so expect 5 to 15 seconds of audio and video delay.  The fun part of this is that you can see and hear what I am experiencing in Minnesota.  You can also see and hear your signal on my radio's display.  -Here's the link:

Thank you and 73!  See you on the ANAN-NET!! 
-Mike-  K0JTA  KØJTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »

The ANAN NET is indeed alive, but I will not be able to attend this next Sunday 7-27-2014, I am sorry to say.
In the meantime, do look for Woo (KE6YC) of San Diego as a possible NCS (net control station) for the ANAN NET.
If Woo is not on frequency, anyone can call the gathering, of course!  -Give it a try; -It is FUN!

The ANAN NET meets at 1715Z on Sunday afternoon.  (12:15 PM, central time zone.)

The frequency for the net is 14.225.5 Mhz.

There is a MICRO COMPUTER net that will most likely be ion session on 14.225 Mhz; -To keep us "out of their hair," do consider setting your transmit bandwidth to 2.5 Khz.

Thank you for your continued support and participation!

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »

The ANAN-NET will be ON, this next Sunday at 1715Z, or 12:15 PM, central time!
The frequency will be on 14.325.5 Mhz

I missed the last two sessions!  I was away for the past two Sundays, as I was attending and participating at AIRVENTURE the international convention and fly-in at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I hope that others had taken the time to meet and chat, in my absence.  To those who had assumed the NCS (net control station) duties, I say THANK YOU!!!

I will be streaming the session on the internet:  Use any web browser and operating system, and load this URL to see and hear:

There will be a short commercial when you first load the web site.  There is also a DELAY of 5 to 15 seconds, so it is indeed LIVE, but is on a delayed basis, due to the nature of the app and host site.

Anyone can take the net, of course.  Please do join in and do what you can.

Thank you and 73!  -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »

The ANAN-NET will be ON, this next Sunday at 1715Z, or 12:15 PM, central time!
The frequency will be on 14.325.5 Mhz

I missed the last two sessions!  I was away for the past two Sundays, as I was attending and participating at AIRVENTURE the international convention and fly-in at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I hope that others had taken the time to meet and chat, in my absence.  To those who had assumed the NCS (net control station) duties, I say THANK YOU!!!

I will be streaming the session on the internet:  Use any web browser and operating system, and load this URL to see and hear:

There will be a short commercial when you first load the web site.  There is also a DELAY of 5 to 15 seconds, so it is indeed LIVE, but is on a delayed basis, due to the nature of the app and host site.

Anyone can take the net, of course.  Please do join in and do what you can.

Thank you and 73!  -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »

We had a nice net last weekend!  (Again, I had MISSED the previous two sessions, as I was attending AIRVENTURE, an aviation event in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.)

While the ANAN-NET was in session, I again brought up an old question, this being "where can or should we meet?"  (Time and frequency...)  There was the thought that we could possibly consider 14.330 Mhz, but I brought up that the FLEX NET meets on 14.329 Mhz at 1 PM central time.  With our meeting time of 12:15 PM central time, this would not be at all be "a good neighbor" to the Flex-Radio group.

I have been remiss in actually WATCHING the band's activity, but I have the feeling that 14.340 Mhz might be a possible meeting frequency.  Next Sunday, I will try to watch this frequency a bit more closely.

Aside from the possibility of the present meeting place of 14.340 Mhz at 12:15 PM (1715Z), does anyone have any other suggestions?

While we are into the suggestions theme, I'd again like to offer/suggest/stress that ANYONE can be the net control station!  I have sort of assumed the helm, as I was the one that is pushing the basic existence of the net.  KE6YC (Woo) has assisted in the past, and he does a FINE JOB!  His location near San Diego, plus his superior location and antenna allows him to cover the 48 states of the USA nicely!  In my case, I am South-Eastern Minnesota; -I am using a 75 meter LOOP ANTENNA, which has the obvious lobes of coverage, but still seems to cover fairly well, plus I have no beam-heading to deal with.  My point of all of this is that anyone can either be a co-NCS, or can be the NCS.  It is open for grabs, REALLY!!

Here's a short rundown of the participants of last week's (August 10, 2014) net session on 14.325.5 Mhz at 12:15 PM central time, or 1715Z:

- KI6UM (Lou) covered the report of his now replaced VOLTAGE REGULATOR board in his ANAN-100.  This was a used radio to Lou, and he felt that it was running entirely too HOT.  The board was under US$50, as I recall.  Lou installed it himself, and this has resolved the "too hot" issue for him.

- KU4B (Dave) checked in, using his ANAN-100D.  He had a good signal, as he was using a TELREX beam antenna.  Dave is running an app called GHPSDR ver. 3.n, which I found rather interesting!  He was having issues with this app, if he had version 3.9 of the needed firmware with this app.  It is OK, if he runs firmware version 2.5.

- edit: KU4B dropped in again.  He is running a Kenwood TS-590, but has HIGH INTEREST in the ANAN products.  His signal has been very nice in the past, but on Sunday, he had some "chop" on his audio peaks.  Stations offered suggestions, but I do not believe that Jack had a resolution at the moment.

- KE6YC (Woo, of San Diego) checked in again.  His signal is consistently GOOD for me, and I believe he was reaching all, if not most of the other net participants.  Thank you for your QSL card, Woo!  (The picture is 20 years old, as Woo had mentioned, so it included a view of his CRT-type computer screen!)  In view of the fact that Woo is running a 200D (I think it is), his computers just MIGHT have been upgraded...  (Heh...)

- KM4AEC (Steve, of Southern Alabama) checked in with his TS130S and G5RV antenna.  As I told Steve, he SOUNDED BETTER THAN HE SHOULD HAVE.  (-In JEST, of course!)

K0ZBI (George, of Cannon Falls, Minnesota) checked in; George is about eight miles from me, and I assume that he was running his Flex-1500 SDR, with a TenTex 100 watt amplifier.  He was on a 75 meter dipole at first, which I had trouble hearing him on; He later went to his beam antenna, which I heard nicely, even when it was aimed away from me MOSTLY.

W8MQW (Chuck, near Lansing, Michigan) checked in with his ANAN-10. Per my scribbled notes, he was running a six wave-length center fed dipole.  He had a GREAT signal!

- W4WV (Dick, of South Carolina) checked in with his ANAN-100D and Hercules (sp?) amp.  Dick's signal was extremely nice sounding and he was powerful into my location.

I have K5TED, N2APJ and W4NM on my paper; These folks may have checked in, but I have no notes, sorry!

Well, that about covers what I had written down for last Sunday's ANAN-NET.  I will be missing a net session in two or so weeks; Do check in, anyway!   -And someone, PLEASE do ride herd on the net.  Summer-time activities make it harder to devote time for a net.  It will be better when Winter arrives.

Thanks to all that partake in the net.  It is my hope that we can allow this to develop into a Q&A or help-session.  This is a good thought, but these ANAN radios seem to just keep on working! -Baring the series of radios that had the too-hot running voltage regulator, as Lou (KI6UM) had discovered.  Even with this issue, the radio ran just fine, but the heat is not a comfortable thing!

73 to all!   -Mike-   K0JTA
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:17:41 PM by N2MG » Logged
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »

This is an update or CORRECTION to my original post!  The correct information is below; -Ignore or replace the similar areas with the now-correct (I hope) information below.  This was the part that dealt with the folks that took the time to participate in last Sunday's ANAN-NET.

==========

- KU4B (Dave) checked in, using his ANAN-100D.  He had a good signal, as he was using a TELREX beam antenna.  Dave is running an app called GHPSDR ver. 3.n, which I found rather interesting!  He was having issues with this app, if he had version 3.9 of the needed firmware with this app.  It is OK, if he runs firmware version 2.5.  His signal has been very nice in the past, but on Sunday, he had some "chop" on his audio peaks.  Stations offered suggestions, but I do not believe that Dave had a resolution at the moment.

- VE6AOC (Jack, of Calgary) dropped in again.  He is running a Kenwood TS-590, but has HIGH INTEREST in the ANAN products. Jack's signal was good as it always has been in the past.  I own the TS-590, and I can attest to it's operation.   Go to my QRZ.COM listing for a bit more info on this matter.  By the way, due to my poorly organized hand-written notes, I had "assigned" KU4B's "chop" to Jack!  I am very sorry for this foolish error, Jack!  My notes did indeed have a lined-arrow that went un-noticed; -The line indicated that it was DAVE's radio that had developed the audio chop.

============

73 to all!   -Mike-   K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:02:37 PM »

Last Sunday's ANAN-NET was not at all good, but as I had heard from others on the band, the BAND CONDITIONS were not at all favorable.

So now we are in the tail-end of the summer season, the LABOR DAY (USA) holiday, etc., so I am expecting the turnout to be light again.  But who knows!??

So, just to let any and all know, the ANAN-NET will again convene at 1715Z on Sunday, August 31, 2014.  (1715Z is 12:15 PM, local CENTRAL time.)

I am away from home at this time, visiting relatives in Northern Minnesota; -As a result, I will not be present for the ANAN-NET.  Anyone can be the net control station (NCS), as I have always stressed.  So, anyone, PLEASE DO assume a presence and look in on the net.  If no one is apparently on that is assuming the esteemed position of NCS, and let others know of the goings-on, and so on.

I do not have my notes with me, but the only station that comes to mind is a fellow who was not running an ANAN product, but has placed an order for a brand new ANAN-100!!

When I am home, I video-cast my ANAN-100 radio on the internet here:  http://www.livestream.com/k0jta

I will not be able to have the Livestream system enabled this Sunday, as I will not be home, as I had mentioned.

For those of you that are observing the band, please do keep in mind an alternate TIME AND FREQUENCY for the net.  I have been eying 14.340 Mhz, and this seems like a possible frequency choice.  As for the TIME of the net, I guess 12:15 PM Central local time (1715Z) is still a-OK.

73 to all, and I hope to see you all on the ANAN-NET next week. 
-Mike-
K0JTA
K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »

Just to recap, the net has been meeting at 12:15 PM, CENTRAL TIME on Sundays.  The FREQUENCY has been 14.322.5 Mhz.

Please do join in!  (Don't just LISTEN...)

Anyone can be net control station, of course!  Or, just see if you can use your location to cover other areas that I or another NCS is not hearing.

As a suggestion, set your transmit bandwidth to 2.5 Khz, just so we can be "good neighbors" to the folks that are above us.  (There is a MICROCOMPUTER GROUP that meets on 14.325 Mhz.)

I will be streaming my station on 14.322.5 Mhz, as usual:

Thank you!   

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA

K0JTA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »

Good day;

The ANAN-NET will move to 14.340 Mhz (Sundays 1715Z) as at least a trial basis.

The frequency has been 14.322.5 Mhz, which was a squeeze at best, as 14.320 and 14.325 Mhz were often in use.

If possible, some of you could keep an ear on 14.322.5 Mhz and/or announce that the net has moved to a different frequency.

As usual, I will plan on using LIVESTREAM for anyone that might have an interest in seeing and hearing what I see and hear from South-East Minnesota.  The link is here:

livestream.com/k0jta

There is a short commercial that you will have to endure, before the feed is allowed to pass.  There is also a several second DELAY in the audio and video feed.

Here's a short summary of last week's ANAN-NET session; -Please forgive my errors and omissions, and the like.  The following were last week's participants on the net:

- KI6UM (Lou) is a UAL retiree, I learned!  (I retired from NWA.)  He is running an ANAN-100 and an ACOM (?) amp. Lou has a great signal.

- KE6YC (Woo) is happy with his ANAN-200D, but his Window$ 8.1 is not as cooperative as his past operating systems.  His station has a commanding presence!

- KU4B is experiencing transmit audio; He is not running the common HPSDR, or "PowerSDR."  He is truly on the cutting edge, with his extensive experiment!

- W1TR (Terry) is running his ANAN-100D (new in March) and an amplifier with two 3-500Z tubes.  BIG SIGNAL!

- WB2OZE (Gary) checked in with his ANAN-100, the same radio that I am using.

- N8RDP checked in to get a signal report for his FT-301  -Working NICELY!

- KC8HMJ/portable also checked in to get a signal report with his ANAN-200D radio; He was running 100 watts into an Outbacker antenna. (A VERTICAL)

- W4WU (Rich) of South Carolina checked in with his ANAN-100.

- K5WAZ (Justin)  checked in from what I caught as Cloudcrest, New Mexico; He is East of the WHITE SANDS TEST SITE out there.  I believe he was running an ANAN radio, but my notes...

- KJ6UPE/M (Dannon) checked in with a nice MOBILE signal from Northern California.

- W9AD (Dave) was heard by others, but I missed him entirely.  Often, I can hear him, which is not at all common, as we are "too close" for 20 meter communications!

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:07:27 PM by K0JTA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: