The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI's)  (Read 742786 times)
KZ3L

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »

Hopefully we will hear something from Kevin

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I picked up the AFCIs on Friday from the distributor (before you posted on Saturday) and decided to install them myself. 13 breakers took a couple of hours to replace, especially since the new version of the breakers (manufactured in Dec 2016) has very short and straight pigtails. The original installation had longer pigtails running to positions on the neutral bar that were further down the panel, so I had to extend the pigtails with wire nuts. As I understand it, wiring multiple pigtails to the same entry point is a no-no.

Fortunately, the replacement breakers do work. I haven't exceeded 40 Watts output yet on HF (40m and 15m) but will do so over the next week or two and watch the lights in neighboring homes to see if anything happens. I'm reluctant to bring it up quite yet but may eventually have no choice. These breakers don't contain any "ham" markings--they just happen to be from a much newer lot.

The homes in our neighborhood were mostly built 3-5 years ago, all by the same builder (Ryan Homes), so it is very likely the others use AFCIs made around the same time.

Kevin KZ3L
KZ3L

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »

I should mention that Eaton is replacing these under warranty.

However, the distributor wanted me to remove all the breakers first and do an even swap for the replacements. With 26 wires hanging out of the panel and the power off for several hours, including drive time, that was a nonstarter. Instead, I bought the new AFCIs from the distributor and they will refund my credit card when I bring the others back. I could have fought that but wanted to get this resolved ASAP... no real net loss in the end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:18:10 AM by KZ3L » Logged
KZ3L

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: September 20, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »

Ten days in and all continues to work well... no tripped breakers and no evidence of interference with the neighbors' breakers.
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: September 20, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »

Great, Kevin
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: October 18, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »

The letter to the editor in the latest issue of QST is a reminder of why we kept pushing the ARRL for its article on AFCIs. 
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: November 15, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

Terry, I was visiting my son in Flowery Branch and drove by your development.  Wow, It's grown since the last time we were there.  Lots of AFCIs.
AD0FL

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: November 19, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »

replying to an earlier note on my Eaton AFCI and GFCI breakers popping.  To recap - new build home, new sub division, all installed with apparently the Gen 4 Eaton breakers, with many popping when I key up.  I have a 20/40m fan dipole in the attic.

We had one electrician visit so far.  He had never heard of this issue even with his 20+ years in the business.  But he did contact Eaton and received 4 new breakers (only 4 culprits at the time).  I had all 4 pop with the first key up.  So back to Eaton he goes.  Nothing more at this point.  Commenting on an earlier post, his comment was this was the best that Eaton has to "fix the issue".  They are still talking with Eaton. 

Something he did note is that the breakers have long pig tails.  The instructions say to not trim these, but its common in industry to do that as it makes the installation look neat.  On the ones he reinstalled he left them long, but they still popped.
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »

My suggestion is that you contact Joe Felo and tell him your problem.  Also contact Mike Gruber at the ARRL.  What you have is unacceptable.
Joe Felo: 412-893-3745
Mike Gruber: mgruber@arrl.org
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »

If you don't take QST, check out the AFCI article in the September issue.  http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Lab/Gruber.pdf
Pages: Prev 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: