Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! How do I find the source of this noise?  (Read 3271 times)
NG0Z

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »

It shows up out of nowhere, is present on all bands, lasts between 10 and 30 minutes or so and then just disappears. It makes the radio useless until it stops. Any suggestions on equipment or techniques used to locate this noise would be appreciated.

See it here (video): http://youtu.be/y8KB1AAnMWQ

NG0Z

NG0Z
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »

I bet it's a street light. When they go bad they make a fearfull racket. Or a pole insulator breaking down. You might try using an am battery portable to shoot an azimuth to the source, the rod antenna in the am radio will have nulls off the ends, so when you can rotate the am set and get a null you should have a line directly to or from the source. Me I like to use a sledge and wack a suspect pole to see if it changes the noise any but this is frowned upon by nonbelievers. Also the noise may be generated a ways off and will have peaks and nulls on the power line. When you get close to the noxiuos emitter you may have to resort to vhf/uhf reception due to the intensity, as you get closer to the noise you can hear it on higher and higher freqs - use a scanner or ht on am demodulation for best results. If you ever find a street light that doesn't come on at night, seems to have trouble starting, shuts off and comes back on or a myriad of other weird behaviours take down the pole number and location and report it to the city, they just may clear up your noise issue. If the noise leads you to a power line insulator or pole pig, notify the powa co of that pole.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »

Using a portable short wave radio verify that the noise is not being generated at your location by turning off all the circuit breakers.
If the noise is still present you will have to direction find (DF) it. From what I saw on the spectrum display it doesn't appear to be power line noise, most power line even from lights is usually flat across the spectrum without the peaks being spaced at intervals.
But could be a street light problem that I've never seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: