Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palstar excellent service, great to deal with.  (Read 5305 times)
W4MPL

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

Just wanted to pass on something for someone who is anticipating the purchase of a Palstar Tuner.  Being a new Ham I knew I was going to get into HF radio so when I saw a person selling an older 1500 tuner close by and contacted him and arranged to purchase the unit for around $300.00.  Of course the Ham said it worked and he had used it, the only thing it was missing was some screws and he had ordered them from Palstar and would forward them to me when he got them in.  I had no way of testing the unit but brought it home and put it on the shelf awaiting the purchase of my new HF rig. Well I got my rig about 4 months later and you guessed it the Palstar would not work. Meter would not register anything and the unit was dead. Last Wednesday I shipped it back to Palstar to have them go through the unit and refurbish it and bring it up to standards and to just check it out. They received it last Friday and today they called and said it was fixed and they would be shipping it back. They had to replace the circuit board, power connection and meter. They also checked everything else out and said it was working fine. You don't get this kind of service from a Chinese company that's for sure!. They whole experience with them was great and very pleasant.  I shouldn't need a tuner for awhile but when I need anything else they sell you can count on that I will look at Palstar first!
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:46:32 AM »

You state in your post: "You don't get this kind of service from a Chinese company that's for sure!"

I'm sorry, I simply can't let this one pass without commenting.  Are you implying that MFJ is a Chinese company?  It's not... It's an American company, owned by an American who happens to be of Chinese descent.   Paul Hrivnak who owns Palstar happens to be of Hungarian descent - and, so what, he's an American as well. 

It was an inappropriate comment, and simply untrue.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

"Untrue " ?

I didn't take his post to imply that MFJ was a Chinese COMPANY . I think most of us are quite aware they are not .  He may have been referencing importers who sell Chinese MADE products and later fail to provide adequate support .  I have seen plenty of that aspect here as well as in many areas outside of amateur radio .

It may also appear inappropriate to twist his words and chastise the fellow without at least asking clarification and waiting for a response .

On the other hand ; Has anyone tried to get Palstar to service one of the amplifiers they used to build ?

W4MPL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »

Not sure where your coming from, or why you chimed in like you did. I wasn't even thinking of any one company when I said that. I personally feel that many of the products we are getting from China now are not of the quality we should be getting for our money or the quality we were used to getting in this country. It was not a political statement just a fact based on the many items I've been buying as a consumer. Unfortunately most of the products, and especially electronic products we get today all are from other than the United States, we have no choice. Lighten up, I was only making a point that Palstar's service in my case was excellent and a rare thing today and wanted to pass on their excellent service to other Hams.
A9KW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:06:19 AM »

@ Don Read his post again, I did not see Mfj anywhere.
What hat did you pull that out of.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:09:31 AM by A9KW » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:14:41 AM »

I understood what W4MPL said immediately and completely.  Go to any store and look where products are made and overwhelmingly it is China. Same thing applies for things sold on line. A prime example: LL Bean. Their catalog used to be filled with US made items.  Now, everything says 'imported'. Want to guess where it's 'imported' from? The last time I looked in a LL Bean catalog, I found one item that said it was made in the US.  And the OP is correct, try to get any kind of service from a Chinese company. Unless they have an importer located stateside, you're pretty much screwed. I bought a focusing screen for my camera from one that came with a scratch on it. His reply: send it back. Reverse shipping was more than I paid for the screen.  Another case, I ordered a software recovery program made there.  The program was paid for via PayPal, and it was a good thing as it failed to work and without PayPal, I never would have gotten my money back.

So I completely agree, trying to get something made in China can be a problem, especially if you have to deal with the factory and people who either speak poor English or use Google translator.  I think W9CW missed the point completely.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »

You state in your post: "You don't get this kind of service from a Chinese company that's for sure!"

I'm sorry, I simply can't let this one pass without commenting.  Are you implying that MFJ is a Chinese company?  It's not... It's an American company, owned by an American who happens to be of Chinese descent.   Paul Hrivnak who owns Palstar happens to be of Hungarian descent - and, so what, he's an American as well. 

What a stupid thing to say....What were you thinking of?

A9KW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

Great company
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »

Well, mileages have varied greatly for many people in dealing with Palstar.  Just search for older posts here on eham. 

I won't get into opening up old wounds, but newer people need to do a little research before dealing with them.  Full disclosure, I use an AT4K tuner, and enjoy it very much.

Now, as for dealing with them personally.......   Angry
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »

I'm an American born Chinese and didn't take W4MPL's comments as such.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »

Great eham page, Delwyn!  

You've got volcanoes and Hanauma Bay, and we've got corn fields and interstates.  It's all good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: