Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WW2 Morse Key  (Read 6098 times)
GW3OQK

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »

I have a stained brown-paper-wrapped box about inches 6 x 3 x 3 marked "10F/7741 KEYS MORSE TYPE F "    "Not to be opened until required for use"

Probably its a WW2 Bathtub Key as used by the RAF. BUT! Should I open it and know the truth or treat it like a vintage bottle of wine and just drool over it now and then. Perhaps its the equivalent of Chateu Neuf de Clap '69 but who knows.

Anyway I'll be on air over the D-Day 70 anniversary 6-8 June and would love some QSOs using my WW2 vintage gear. Mainly CW for me but there will be AM too. Would like to make some transatlantic qsos uing my T1154.
Andrew
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »

Unless you paid a gazillion dollars for it as an investment I'd open it.

What's the fun in an unopened box?

Open and enjoy!

Just my opinion.

Stuart
WB6RXG
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »

Hi,

I have sat on the desk here a RESTRICTED Preliminary Instruction Book for the TCS range of gear.

On the cover, my father has written Landing craft set 6/6/44.  The old so n so pinched the instruction book on his way into the beaches for D Day,  never missed a chance did the OM.

Guess, now would be as good a time as any to open for use, get the TV camera round, they might just do a bit on it.

Cheers

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »

Look like this?

photo courtesy of morsemad.com

One label on the inner box reads: "Packed By FORDHAM & Co. SUNDERLAND. Contract No. CONS/STORES/19221/C. 6 (c). MAY 1952".
Another label reads: "10F/7741 KEYS MORSE TYPE F QTY. 1"

http://www.morsemad.com/air.htm
Third key from bottom of page...

bill
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:26:18 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:41:46 AM »

The very same package Bill! Morsemad unpacked their one so I can see what was in the box. I shall now leave mine packed to mature for posterity.

I have plenty of other keys and a favourite is 8th down http://www.morsemad.com/kotw_files/gb.htm The WT 8 Amp No.2 Mk111. One I have is still with its cardboard box. These keys have a lovely feel, and its what I learnt on in my teens and easily passed my 25 wpm test. Wish I could do it now.
Andrew

WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

On the cover, my father has written Landing craft set 6/6/44.  The old so n so pinched the instruction book on his way into the beaches for D Day, 

Oh, he probably was too busy dodging bullets and land mines and such to worry about the instruction book...
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »

On the cover, my father has written Landing craft set 6/6/44.  The old so n so pinched the instruction book on his way into the beaches for D Day, 

Oh, he probably was too busy dodging bullets and land mines and such to worry about the instruction book...

He used to talk about the rest of his days as him and John Wayne marched onwards to Berlin, but never spoke much about the beaches apart from the fact that it looked like absolute chaos.

Poor old B.. is a sk now.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: