Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 15822 times)
KD5GR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

In Texas, there are approximately 760,000 Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs).  For years, the statistics maintained by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety combined with State population figures prove that CHLs are 16 times less likely to commit a crime than the general public in Texas.  http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17975 They are 7 times less likely to commit a crime than Texas peace officers.  This excellent track record proves that 3/4 million Texans with a Concealed Handgun License hardly fit your slanderous description.  If you don't want to carry a self-defense handgun then don't, but this personal decision doesn't make you an expert on those who do.

As for your groundless allegation about the shooting skills, you apparently are not aware that most self-defense shooting follow the Rule of Threes:  3 rounds in 3 seconds from 3 feet.  Your 25 yd. example is as irrelevant as it is inaccurate.  A shooting at that distance is almost unheard of in a civilian self-defense shooting.  I was a police officer for 10 years, have been a firearms instructor for 40 years and an attorney for almost 30 years.  Based upon my experience, there is absolutely no basis for your condemnation of millions of law-abiding, responsible Americans.

Chas.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

In Texas, there are approximately 760,000 Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs).  For years, the statistics maintained by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety combined with State population figures prove that CHLs are 16 times less likely to commit a crime than the general public in Texas.  http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17975 They are 7 times less likely to commit a crime than Texas peace officers.  This excellent track record proves that 3/4 million Texans with a Concealed Handgun License hardly fit your slanderous description.  If you don't want to carry a self-defense handgun then don't, but this personal decision doesn't make you an expert on those who do.

As for your groundless allegation about the shooting skills, you apparently are not aware that most self-defense shooting follow the Rule of Threes:  3 rounds in 3 seconds from 3 feet.  Your 25 yd. example is as irrelevant as it is inaccurate.  A shooting at that distance is almost unheard of in a civilian self-defense shooting.  I was a police officer for 10 years, have been a firearms instructor for 40 years and an attorney for almost 30 years.  Based upon my experience, there is absolutely no basis for your condemnation of millions of law-abiding, responsible Americans.

Chas.

Thank you.

Vince
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »

The only connection between Ham radio and guns is protection of personal property and life, this includes ham gear in shack, mobile or otherwise. This concept is equally enforced and accepted here in Maine at least. Your right, this is an absurd Topic.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 01:17:43 AM »

This is about as interesting as talking about rubber ducks in a bath tub. Oops, someone probably would.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2014, 01:57:30 AM »

Re: KI6LZ:

Since you mentioned it, rubber ducks in the bath tub are a thing of the past, however I did see one recently (made in China) in about two feet of water alongside the town boat landing attached to some kind of BaoFeng HT radio.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 02:48:06 AM »

Lol, new use for BaoFeng radio.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »

You got that right, also called an R/C Boat Anchor.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »

GR:  Thank you.  Very well put!
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »

Hello.

The entire purpose was to educate.
Simply put, people have been shot pulling out there cellphone.
Almost always, they were on foot.
And in almost every incident, the person had no gun, no gun permit, and was not thinking about guns.
Now, lets take a scenario.
You are trotting around the city, have a talkie, (VX-3r) and someone sees this.
They are not sure of what they saw, but call it in as a man with a gun.
It has happened.
Remember that at that point we have a problem.
The solution is to be aware of the possible outcome.
You might not have even had a gun in your life, are not thinking anything about a gun.
And that is the point, think about a possible misunderstanding, be aware.
Yes, it may sound odd on a radio forum.
Tell that to the people who have been killed.

KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

The wild west ended about 1890. Too bad some winchells, poor quality news people, on television don't understand that.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »

The wild west ended about 1890. Too bad some winchells, poor quality news people, on television don't understand that.

In many places you have a much better chance of being shot now than you did in 1890.  What's the old saying - God made men, Samuel Colt made men equal.

Many of the ham radio folks I know carry guns.  It's not an issue of paranoia - it's a question of realism.  A gun is like a parachute or a fire extinguisher - it's rare that you'll ever truly need one, but if you don't have one when you need it, you probably won't need one ever again.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

Hello.

You do NOT need to be carrying a gun....

Why is that?

Lots of people think they know what's best for us better than we do.  They can usually be safely ignored.
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

I understand that part of it. I was referrring to the misnaming done by newsies.

In many places you have a much better chance of being shot now than you did in 1890.  What's the old saying - God made men, Samuel Colt made men equal.

Many of the ham radio folks I know carry guns.  It's not an issue of paranoia - it's a question of realism.  A gun is like a parachute or a fire extinguisher - it's rare that you'll ever truly need one, but if you don't have one when you need it, you probably won't need one ever again.

KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »

Hello.

The entire purpose was to educate.
Simply put, people have been shot pulling out there cellphone.
Almost always, they were on foot.
And in almost every incident, the person had no gun, no gun permit, and was not thinking about guns.
Now, lets take a scenario.
You are trotting around the city, have a talkie, (VX-3r) and someone sees this.
They are not sure of what they saw, but call it in as a man with a gun.
It has happened.
Remember that at that point we have a problem.
The solution is to be aware of the possible outcome.
You might not have even had a gun in your life, are not thinking anything about a gun.
And that is the point, think about a possible misunderstanding, be aware.
Yes, it may sound odd on a radio forum.
Tell that to the people who have been killed.

Not aware of anyone having been shot while reaching for their HT.

Your warning applies to anyone with anything.  The bottom line is you do not make furtive movements when a police office in contact or addressing you.  That means you do not reach in your pocket for your wallet, cell phone, keys, asthma inhaler, note from Epstein's mother, etc without letting the officer know what you are going to do. 

The entire discussion is alarmist at best and has been devolving into a discussion about firearms, not radios. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:32 AM »

The entire discussion is alarmist at best and has been devolving into a discussion about firearms, not radios.

And..... may I add.....terminated?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: