Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 15850 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

Hello.

Yes, it has become a gun carry issue.
But, I can name several cases where a person has been killed reaching for a talkie.
This is usually,,,get this,,,,A SECURITY GUARD!
Yes, cops will shoot an unarmed, uniformed, security guard!
I went through training to deal with this and brought this up.
Our radios MUST be clipped to our belts and a hand mic be used.
Get on the web and you will find Dozens of cases of people getting killed in what cops thought might be a gun, and turns out to be something else!
The whole point was to make people aware of this.
And, yes, it does not need to be a talkie, it can be anything.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

I know far more than you and have not drank the NRA kooliad and have shot them for over 40 years too. To carry a gun concealed with a 15 round clip and two extra mags is a extension of ego and little more and more and more gun accidents and violence will result. Every time a Democrat gets in office the NRA plants fear to boost sales and profits. There is no competency test to see if you are fit too either. It is do right scarey seeing some of the people buying guns to carry. To suggest this right is needed for masses is stupid and only benefits those selling them. It has created designer gun that have no real sporting purpose otherwise and are deadly toys.  It is a ticking time bomb and anyone to suggest otherwise is really denying reality.

How is this related to radio? Well they relaxed radio rules to promote sales and profits and same with guns.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »

The problem of one size fitting all is a big problem. There are at least 51 "countries" in this country and many have more than one highly different "state".

In much of Alaska, everyone carries (not so much the cities) for self protection and unless prohibitted they just have the responsibility of telling the responding officer that there is a weapon in their vehicle when stopped.

The gun free schools legislation caused major problems for the agricultural areas of rural Idaho where the Juniors and Seniors had chores that could often require having a firearm. These chores were often between home and school, twenty miles from home and five from school. It is amazing what Church Owned parking lots can do to solve problems. Don't need a firearm for that in Idaho? When was the last time you had a Moose in your back yard, or a Mountain Lion up the Cottonwood in your front yard? This was in the big city, Idaho Falls, population 50,000. Student stomped to death by a moose on campus at the University of Alaska, Anchorage.

These are just the examples I remember from being nearby when they occurred. Same arguments about who needs them can be made for anything Amateur Radio and there isn't even a silly little constitutional issue involved.

KF7CG
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »

My daughters use clips in their hair and magazines in our firearms.
Unless you are using half moon clips for a revolver, you are talking
about ammunition clip in a rifle and that is not easy to conceal unless
altered in length at the stock and or barrel.

Any machine can be used as a weapon to harm others, that is a crime not
a ticking time bomb.

More women are obtaining their concealed license or permit and that is a good thing.

The violence is not from people like you and I but from the criminal element, or those who
will become a criminal once prosecuted and convicted in court of law.

73 james

Quote from: W8JX

[/quote

I know far more than you and have not drank the NRA kooliad and have shot them for over 40 years too. To carry a gun concealed with a 15 round clip and two extra mags is a extension of ego and little more and more and more gun accidents and violence will result. Every time a Democrat gets in office the NRA plants fear to boost sales and profits. There is no competency test to see if you are fit too either. It is do right scarey seeing some of the people buying guns to carry. To suggest this right is needed for masses is stupid and only benefits those selling them. It has created designer gun that have no real sporting purpose otherwise and are deadly toys.  It is a ticking time bomb and anyone to suggest otherwise is really denying reality.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:31:17 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KF7WRU

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

I know far more than you and have not drank the NRA kooliad and have shot them for over 40 years too. To carry a gun concealed with a 15 round clip and two extra mags is a extension of ego and little more and more and more gun accidents and violence will result. Every time a Democrat gets in office the NRA plants fear to boost sales and profits. There is no competency test to see if you are fit too either. It is do right scarey seeing some of the people buying guns to carry. To suggest this right is needed for masses is stupid and only benefits those selling them. It has created designer gun that have no real sporting purpose otherwise and are deadly toys.  It is a ticking time bomb and anyone to suggest otherwise is really denying reality.

How is this related to radio? Well they relaxed radio rules to promote sales and profits and same with guns.

W8jx= emotional man child.

KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2014, 05:19:11 AM »

The only people helped by removing guns from law abiding citizens are terrorists and criminals.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2014, 05:24:11 AM »

W8jx= emotional man child.

No but rather in some peoples minds anyone that does not blindly follow those that wave the god and guns flag is not level headed.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »

JX: 

No but rather in some peoples minds anyone that does not blindly follow those that wave the god and guns flag is not level headed.

you're absolutely correct but your rant somewhat removes you from the "level headed" category.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »

No law(s) past, present or future can legislate what is inside the mind of an individual
who wants to harm other citizens.  Laws are tools for prosecution after violated and
the accused is brought to justice.

Laws are like locks, they work for honest people.

73 james
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »

No law(s) past, present or future can legislate what is inside the mind of an individual
who wants to harm other citizens.  Laws are tools for prosecution after violated and

73 james

Exactly, criminals are called criminals because they don't obey the law.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »

73 james

Yes but when you open barn door wide open, you make it easier for things to happen.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

Hello.

I have just one question.
Open barn door?
OK, somebody decides to rob a bank in a state where guns are controlled.
Lets take California, conceal carry is as a rule not an option.
Do the robbers go, OH NO, ROBBING THIS BANK WITH A GUN IS WRONG!!!
Or do they announce that they are robbing a bank, prancing around with, well, GUNS!?
I thought about robbing a bank with a toothbrush once, but I would have a hard time pulling it off.
Perhaps if I also bring toothpaste?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:10 AM »

Re: KA5PIU  reply #71

Actually your idea of robbing a bank with a toothbrush was not a bad idea since I can only assume that you have only one tooth left, otherwise you would have considered a more appropriate weapon, a teethbrush. So armed with just a tooth brush the bank customers would feel sorry for you and voluntarily make account withdrawals, chip in and give you the money for a set of dentures and at which time you could decide weather to Ramble on down to the orthodontist or spend the money as you see fit. BTW leave your toothpaste in your get away car, it wouldn't make it through bank security any more than it would at the airport TSA checkpoint.
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »

73 james

Yes but when you open barn door wide open, you make it easier for things to happen.

Your statment makes no sense. Millions of law abiding citizens have guns in the US and never commit any crimes.

Laws stop law abiding citizens. Laws never stop criminals until the criminal is prosecuted for comitting a crime. There are thousands of gun laws on the books that punish criminals for using guns in illegal activities.

If criminals that use guns in your area aren't being prosecuted for using a gun to commit a crime, blame the prosecutor not the gun.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »

Here is a scary thought for all those who worry about guns and mass murders. Consider the mass murders that were committed and look at how many there were where the perpetrator had one or more secondary means of killing people with them, but had the secondary weapons malfunction.

Columbine, the kids that pulled this off planted multiple large explosive devices that malfunctioned during their rampage. How bad would the carnage have been had they not been distracted from building functional bombs, by the lure of readily available firearms? Had just one of their propane cylinder explosives functioned the death toll could have been significantly higher.

Yes, it is easy to fix that just ban, propane, butane, and natural gas cylinders. Then lets ban large bags of powdered sugar (might help with waistlines too) or flour. With a little planning and careful execution a 10 pund bag of flour and a windproof cigarette light can level a home or do significant damage to a school building.

If the conventional means of committing mass murder are unavailable, the mass murderers will most likely just get creative and their secondary weapons might well be more devastating than they would be with a firearm.

Study all the consequences of an action before proceding, an unintended consequence may prove your undoing.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: