Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Andriod powered laptop  (Read 4326 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »

HP is launching a 14 inch laptop called the Slate Book in August. It will be running kit Kat most likely and much more powerful than Chrome Books. Might be of interest to those looking for a non MS solution for the "loss" of XP. Could be interesting.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »

There is an Android distro that will run on x86 hardware so any desktop/laptop could be turned into an Android device. Go to distrowatch to download.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »

There is an Android distro that will run on x86 hardware so any desktop/laptop could be turned into an Android device. Go to distrowatch to download.

Does this mean all apps for Android will be able to run on that machine?

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:23 AM »

Yes in theory

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:12 AM »

I loaded it on an old netbook and for the most part yes everything I tried ran as it would on a tablet.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:33:07 AM »

I loaded it on an old netbook and for the most part yes everything I tried ran as it would on a tablet.

I would also think that a Laptop designed for driod would have proper hardware and drivers so everything worked vs a hack.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »

Thanks.  I'll be trying it out. 73.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »

Y
I would also think that a Laptop designed for driod would have proper hardware and drivers so everything worked vs a hack.

Yes this probably true but playing is half the fun is it not?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »

There was a time i would agree and like challenge but in today's plug and play world I do not want to waste time trying. 

W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »

There was a time i would agree and like challenge but in today's plug and play world I do not want to waste time trying. 
Yes if this is your primary device then I agree don't "play" but if you want to experiment a bit have at it. Playing is fun and you never know you might find it just works.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 07:48:57 AM »

I suggest swapping out hard drives.  The hard drive is usually located on the bottom of most laptops. Turn over the laptop and look for a small panel holding three or four screws, that could be the panel where the hard drive is located. Once the panel is off, in most cases the hard drive should slide right off.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »

I suggest swapping out hard drives.  The hard drive is usually located on the bottom of most laptops. Turn over the laptop and look for a small panel holding three or four screws, that could be the panel where the hard drive is located. Once the panel is off, in most cases the hard drive should slide right off.

Some modern slim laptops have no door and requires disassembling.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »

Thanks.  I'll be trying it out. 73.

Downloaded it and tried it.  It's still got too many features that belong to a smart phone and is still geared to a smart phone type device.  It may be OK for a tablet, but as it sits now it's just not a good choice.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »

Its workable but yes I agree not ready for prime time but its still in early development.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 04:13:56 AM »

Hello.

Tried it, and yes, it really is intended for a smartphone.
But, you can have dual boot, and it is a version of Linux, so a lot of stuff can be shared.
The real big plus is in the fact that it has super modest requirements.
a machine that can run XP can run this!
And I do not mean it can simply work, but is snappy.
I tried it on a Toshiba 300 MHz machine, and it runs FB.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: