Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 34629 times)
KC4YJI

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »

I need to upgrade my desktop computer. It is an Dell demention 3000 running XP. Should I get win 7 or go with win 8.1. I have not spent much time on win 8. I know "everybody" says it is junk, but why? Is it just the interface is a pain? Is there something wrong with the OS itself?

My brother got a win 8 net-book and upgraded it to win 8.1, then installed classic shell. He says it works a lot like win 7. I have seen on-line where some have done this and said you get the benefits of both win 7 & 8. Others say, if you are going to make win 8 work like 7, why not just get win 7.

Got me to thinking....Why is win 8 bad?

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

"if you are going to make win 8 work like 7, why not just get win 7."

Win8 will be supported longer than Win7. My granddaughter has a machine with Win8. The GUI takes a little getting used to but it has all the same features. Once you learn how to get to the desktop it is not that bad.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »

It isn't that the OS is 'bad,' it's that it is such a radical departure from traditional Windows systems that the learning curve is very, very steep.  Win 8.1 is supposed to be better in that it has the  'classic' shell, but it is still a learning experience that most people just don't like.

I saw a news article recently that stated that many hardware producers (computer makers) have gone back to the Windows 7 OS, I don't know if it's true or not--I just know that Microsoft laid one hell of a big egg when they came out with Windows 8, the egg was cracked and spoiled, and they could well be backpedalling in that Windows 8.1 came out so fast.

BTW, if you do get Win8, see if you can quickly find the settings to change the appearance--it isn't at all easy to find!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

if you can get to the desktop, it won't stay on the desktop.  it's like Microsoft finally knuckled under to 25-year-old memoes from IBM and implemented Presentation Manager v3.0.

finally got mine (mostly) tamed, combination of the 8.1 updates and disabling swipe in the mouse controller.  add a utility to run Tiles stuff in separate windows, and it's almost a computer.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »

Well ... I don't think it's bad at all. I got a new laptop about 2 months ago, and I wanted Win 8 to see just what all the fussing was about. The problem is the new start screen confuses people, some people think that it is the desktop, but it isn't.

All you have to do is click on the desktop menu item in the start menu screen and poof - you are looking at the same desktop you always were used to. It also has no problems running any of the ham software I already run on Win 7.

Really - It ain't no big deal.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »

I need to upgrade my desktop computer. It is an Dell demention 3000 running XP. Should I get win 7 or go with win 8.1. I have not spent much time on win 8. I know "everybody" says it is junk, but why? Is it just the interface is a pain? Is there something wrong with the OS itself?

My brother got a win 8 net-book and upgraded it to win 8.1, then installed classic shell. He says it works a lot like win 7. I have seen on-line where some have done this and said you get the benefits of both win 7 & 8. Others say, if you are going to make win 8 work like 7, why not just get win 7.

#1. No one should have to hack Windows to make it look like a Windows Operating System!

#2. People who need a new computer, cannot run to the local brick and mortar store and buy a Windows 7 machine. It is Windows 8 or nothing at all. (There are some refurb places and few computer stores that still sell Windows 7 machines. But the good news is that Windows 7 machines still readily available brand new online).

#3 Why does anyone have to take a course in re-learning Windows (or have to hack Windows) after using Windows products for the past 10 or 20 years? This is a huge step backwards for MSFT. At this point, one might as well learn Linux and just get off the "Microsoft Upgrade Train" once and for good.

#4. Microsoft probably knew it had a huge issue on it's hands even before Win 8's release when they were offering upgrades for Win 8 at a very low cut rate price. Microsoft could have easily avoided this whole mess by accommodating their customers by letting them choose which GUI they wanted, and not what Microsoft wanted to push.  And Microsoft's insistence in 'Secure Boot' (UEFI) didn't exactly sit well with the IT world and by itself gathered a lot criticism from within the IT community.

#5. Microsoft finally came up with a decent replacement for XP with Windows 7. And then they follow up with this mess.

#6. Windows 8 makes Windows Vista and Windows ME look like decent operating systems. Windows 8 is Microsoft's biggest mistake and I'm not the only one sharing these sentiments. Read the comments online from customers and from IT Pros. Windows 8 was not well received by the public.

Go with Windows 7, it is good till 2020. You can buy Windows 7 machines online or at any real computer store (Not Best Buy). Or try out Linux or the Android OS for Windows machines and get off the "Microsoft Upgrade Train" for good. Sure you will have to upgrade Linux Operating systems every few years, but the cost is FREE and you have a choice in what you want your GUI to look like.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »

Hello.

The single greatest event Apple computer had was when Microsoft came out with Vista.
They could not even get the game space cadet working.
So, Microsoft had to do something, and came out with 7.
Now, they are trying to reintroduce Vista.
They are calling it 8.
No, it is not a steep learning curve, there are things I just do not like.
Microsoft needs to listen to the customers, and not their people.
Who knows? Bill Gates senile and decided that this is it?
But, when people say it is easier to migrate to a Mac than Vista/8, something is really wrong.
AT&T for years tried to push Picture Phone.
Modern computers can do video conferencing, but very few do it.
Although now fully possible, people do not want it, at least not most.
Microsoft is the same way, trying to sell something people do not want.
If I want to play with hardware I run Linux.
If I want to get desktop publishing done I run a mac.
If I want to waste time and money, I look at a PC.
And, it is not just me, Microsoft is losing market share.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »

Windose 8 or better 8.1 is not "bad" its just different. From a consumer standpoint there really is no reason not to run it if you are willing to spend some time re-learning Windows. From a corporate standpoint its a mess, in-house apps that were coded(sloppily) for XP will not run without re-coding($$$). Most corporate IT departments are staying away from it and that is what is hurting M$.
KC4YJI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »

My brother downloaded "clasic shell" to his computer, and it does not even boot to the metro screen. it won't even go to it unless you click on a button to go there. He has the start button that looks and works like xp/vista/win 7 (you choose). I have not used it much, but when he boots up and does the few things he uses it for, it would be hard to tell it was not win 7. He likes it and said he can't tell much difference from win 7. He doesent do much with a computer but get on the net, and store photos.  I still use a drafting program that is dos, that is why I have held on to the desktop for so long.

I have a friend (another ham) who was an IT guy for 35 years or so. he said he could set me up, he highly recomends win 7.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »

I have a friend (another ham) who was an IT guy for 35 years or so. he said he could set me up, he highly recomends win 7.

If you decide to stay with Windows I also highly recommend Windows 7. If he can set you up with an Windows 7 machine, then great...

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »

There is nothing wrong with Win 8 or 8.1. I will say, 8.1 is better than 8 though. If you have a choice, I would go with 8.1.

The only problem with Win 8.1 is that part of it looks different and people don't like change. Yea there will be some apps that don't work with Win 8.x but that's expected over time. If someone is using apps from XP or Win 98/95 then they may or may not work. That's hard to tell . .  Maybe some people should consider getting newer apps.  8.1 will boot to the normal desktop that people are used to without going straight to the start screen. Instead of the old start menu, there is a start screen that looks like tiles. Right click on all the tiles you don't want and un-pin them from the start screen. Pin the ones you want to the start screen and it's set for you. I did that and it's on one screen. Touch the Windows key and click the Word tile and MS Word starts like normal.

You don't ever have to look at a "metro" or new style touch app. All the things I use on 8.1 are normal window'ed apps.

I am using 8.1 on my work laptop. I work for a large company and in a few weeks 8.1 will be officially supported for use in the company. I am on the early adopter program so I have had it for couple months now. 

That said, Win 7 is probably their best effort and works great. If I was buying a new computer, I would just get Win 8.1 or a Mac. Linux is just not all there yet. It works for a lot of people but for average folks, it's not there yet.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

My brother downloaded "clasic shell" to his computer, and it does not even boot to the metro screen. it won't even go to it unless you click on a button to go there.

My Windows 8.1 machine boots straight to the desktop without needing the installation of any "classic shell" or other add on.  It takes one change to select whether you want to boot to the desktop or to the Metro start screen.  You simply right click on the taskbar and go to the Navigation tool.  Therein is a section called "Start screen"; simply put a check mark next to "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of start".  That's it.  And so what if the start button has changed shape?  It is still in the same place and does the same basic thing, so what's the big deal about that?

Now, I look at the metro start screen as a fancy Windows start button; in fact it is often quicker as I click once on the start button, and one on the program tile I'm interested in.  In older versions of Windows, you might have had to drill down through Start, Programs, Some Program Menu/folder, then to the executable.  Of course, you could setup shortcuts on the desktop and only be one click away...and you still can do that with no problems whatsoever.  

I'm truly surprised how many people hate 8.1...especially those that have never tried it.  Once you give it a fair shake, I'd bet that you'd enjoy it a lot more than you might think. Add significantly increased security, speed improvements and reduced memory and hard drive footprint when compared to Win7, and support and updates for several more years and all in all, 8.1 is a winner in my book.  

Of course, many are simply too stuck in their ways to change.  Others lament the change and then run from Windows to Linux and have to learn a whole new OS (although Linux is AWESOME), while others run to OS X (another AWESOME OS). Some just b*t*h because it is Microsoft, or because they just can't used to all the newfangled technology ever since the Model T went away.

If you give 8.1 a try, you'll be satisfied.  If you give Win 7 a try, you'll be satisfied.  So, it is a win-win whichever way you go.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

Hmmm...  Because it is Windows...  Try Linux!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »

My brother downloaded "clasic shell" to his computer, and it does not even boot to the metro screen. it won't even go to it unless you click on a button to go there.

My Windows 8.1 machine boots straight to the desktop without needing the installation of any "classic shell" or other add on.  It takes one change to select whether you want to boot to the desktop or to the Metro start screen.  You simply right click on the taskbar and go to the Navigation tool.  Therein is a section called "Start screen"; simply put a check mark next to "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of start".  That's it.  And so what if the start button has changed shape?  It is still in the same place and does the same basic thing, so what's the big deal about that?

Now, I look at the metro start screen as a fancy Windows start button; in fact it is often quicker as I click once on the start button, and one on the program tile I'm interested in.  In older versions of Windows, you might have had to drill down through Start, Programs, Some Program Menu/folder, then to the executable.  Of course, you could setup shortcuts on the desktop and only be one click away...and you still can do that with no problems whatsoever.  

I'm truly surprised how many people hate 8.1...especially those that have never tried it.  Once you give it a fair shake, I'd bet that you'd enjoy it a lot more than you might think. Add significantly increased security, speed improvements and reduced memory and hard drive footprint when compared to Win7, and support and updates for several more years and all in all, 8.1 is a winner in my book.  

Of course, many are simply too stuck in their ways to change.  Others lament the change and then run from Windows to Linux and have to learn a whole new OS (although Linux is AWESOME), while others run to OS X (another AWESOME OS). Some just b*t*h because it is Microsoft, or because they just can't used to all the newfangled technology ever since the Model T went away.

If you give 8.1 a try, you'll be satisfied.  If you give Win 7 a try, you'll be satisfied.  So, it is a win-win whichever way you go.

Dave
K3DCW

While I like and run Linux, that is one of the better thought out arguments for Windows I have seen in a while!  It is refreshing to not see yet another M$ Fanboy, but someone who actually thought it out!  THANK YOU!  I still like Linux better, and would always recommend it, but finally a decent discussion...  Again, thank you!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »

#1. No one should have to hack Windows to make it look like a Windows Operating System!

You mean to make it look like a old dated operated system because you have trouble with new concept?

#2. People who need a new computer, cannot run to the local brick and mortar store and buy a Windows 7 machine. It is Windows 8 or nothing at all. (There are some refurb places and few computer stores that still sell Windows 7 machines. But the good news is that Windows 7 machines still readily available brand new online).

No good news. Why is running to buy old technology hardware and software. Stuck in past?

#3 Why does anyone have to take a course in re-learning Windows (or have to hack Windows) after using Windows products for the past 10 or 20 years? This is a huge step backwards for MSFT. At this point, one might as well learn Linux and just get off the "Microsoft Upgrade Train" once and for good.

Times have changed. Maybe you should look for a commodore 64 at swap meets. 

#4. Microsoft probably knew it had a huge issue on it's hands even before Win 8's release when they were offering upgrades for Win 8 at a very low cut rate price. Microsoft could have easily avoided this whole mess by accommodating their customers by letting them choose which GUI they wanted, and not what Microsoft wanted to push.  And Microsoft's insistence in 'Secure Boot' (UEFI) didn't exactly sit well with the IT world and by itself gathered a lot criticism from within the IT community.

They knew there would be a LOT of people like you resiting change. If MS embraced you concept they would be out of business in 5 years. We are moving to a smart phone/tablet world and old windows has no road to there. On allowing custom GUI is dumb as you loose standards and open security holes. On secure boot, The real reason behind it is preventing a back door hijack boot. Many Trojans root at boot level so it is another layer to break. 

#5. Microsoft finally came up with a decent replacement for XP with Windows 7. And then they follow up with this mess.

7 is merely tweaked Vista. It was time for a real change.

#6. Windows 8 makes Windows Vista and Windows ME look like decent operating systems. Windows 8 is Microsoft's biggest mistake and I'm not the only one sharing these sentiments. Read the comments online from customers and from IT Pros. Windows 8 was not well received by the public.

While ME was bad Vista is rock solid on good hardware. I still have a few Vista machines and prefer it or 7. At first I did not embrace 8 but like it a lot now.

Go with Windows 7, it is good till 2020. You can buy Windows 7 machines online or at any real computer store (Not Best Buy). Or try out Linux or the Android OS for Windows machines and get off the "Microsoft Upgrade Train" for good. Sure you will have to upgrade Linux Operating systems every few years, but the cost is FREE and you have a choice in what you want your GUI to look like.

News flash, main stream support for 7 ends 7 months! Only security fixes for 5 years after that. Why rush to buy and set up a new system that main stream support ends for in 7 months??? Driod has some potential because it is on smart phones too. Linux has less and less apps and is a down grade not a upgrade.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: