Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 25395 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »

This is the argument I don't buy. Why would I want split screen anything on a phone? The screen is too small. Now a tablet, maybe but I would rather just switch apps. I can switch from app to app where I left off on each with the iPad. Copt/Paste from one app to another.

Give the very small and low res screen on a Iphone I agree there it is not practical but it is on Android phone with larger high res displays and tablets. Windows too. You can video chat and look something up on tablet/phone, read mail etc at same time. You always dismiss or ignore big short comings in Apple stuff to defend it. This is why they will loose in end.

Someone mentioned SD slots . . So what? I don't care about SD slots on my tablets. I don't even use them on my phone. With online storage line DropBox/Box.net etc I think they are becoming less needed. There is simply not that much data that I need on my phone. If I need heavy duty data or app capability, that's what the laptop is for.

In today market of cheap micro SD it is silly to not have a slot for media. But see the Apple koolaid wants you to pay them 100 or 200 more for 15 or 25 bucks more of ram respectfully. They have you blind sided. Same about lack of USB support.

I think too many people are trying to make tablets out to be laptop replacements and non of them are there yet. Unless the only thing you do with a laptop is browse the web, then maybe.

None are out there in Apple world and never likely will be but there are some Surface pro tablets that can today. My RT tablet does most laptop functions and has Office 2013 and Outlook for free. One day the koolaid will loose its appeal for you as it has for others. I used to be a diehard BlackBerry person for many years and still miss some things it did so well like Email and messaging but I changed and glad I did overall and moved forward. On day you will see the light too. I just read Intel is launching a new series of mobile CPU's with latest LTE built into chip that supports Droid and Windows. Future is bleak for Apple on its current path.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »

Someone mentioned SD slots . . So what? I don't care about SD slots on my tablets. I don't even use them on my phone. With online storage line DropBox/Box.net etc I think they are becoming less needed. There is simply not that much data that I need on my phone. If I need heavy duty data or app capability, that's what the laptop is for.

You'll want a SD slot if you store a lot of movies. Many people are using their phones and tablets to watch movies while on travel where they don't have high speed wi-fi. If you don't have an SD slot, your viewing library is limited to what you can fit on the resident memory. A typical HD movie will take 2-5 GB.

If you take a lot of pictures or movies you'll want an SD slot. Most phones and tablets can take high quality picture and record video in HD. Camera and camcorder sales our down since most people are satisfied with the quality produced by recent vintage phones and tablets.  Pictures and especially video can fill up a devices memory very quickly. Uploading your content to your cloud service is a possibility but if you have GB's of files, you are going to need a very fast connection. On the road that is often NOT the case. If you are running out of space, the easiest thing to do is to put in a new, empty SD card then do all your uploads when you get home.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »

Windows 8 was the best present Microsoft has ever given Apple.  

Why would I want to boot into the "metro" screen on a desktop or laptop?  Why did I have to download Windows 8.1 for two machines that use 8.0?  Not to mentioned it was a very large download on our back country slow DSL.  Even after the "upgrade" it takes a little bit of searching to click the taskbar and find the appropriate box to click under "navigation".   Then it will begin to respond more like Windows 7.  

If it weren't for the hassles of finding drivers to these two very new machines, I'd dump Window 8/8.1 for the much more civilized interface of Windows 7. Just recently my employer finally upgraded to Win 7.  Only the abandonment of Win XP finally forced the change.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

Why would I want to boot into the "metro" screen on a desktop or laptop?  Why did I have to download Windows 8.1 for two machines that use 8.0?  Not to mentioned it was a very large download on our back country slow DSL.  Even after the "upgrade" it takes a little bit of searching to click the taskbar and find the appropriate box to click under "navigation".   Then it will begin to respond more like Windows 7.  

If it weren't for the hassles of finding drivers to these two very new machines, I'd dump Window 8/8.1 for the much more civilized interface of Windows 7. Just recently my employer finally upgraded to Win 7.  Only the abandonment of Win XP finally forced the change.

Some embrace change and move forward with technology and some are stuck in a time warp and cling to past ways. If MS had clung to XP/7 still OS, THAT would of been a big gift to apple and buried MS in next few years. There is no place for 7 in the smart phone and tablet world. 7 is a dead end.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »

Micro$oft came too late to the party, while they make good products they are also rans. The Surface hardware is very good but crippled by an OS that no one wants. Droid has a very strong hold on the tablet market and IOS is second, Win 8 is barely hanging on in he tablet world.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »

Some embrace change and move forward with technology and some are stuck in a time warp and cling to past ways. If MS had clung to XP/7 still OS, THAT would of been a big gift to apple and buried MS in next few years. There is no place for 7 in the smart phone and tablet world. 7 is a dead end.

What practical computing tasks can a person accomplish with Windows 8 that they can not accomplish with XP?  Would you care to address this question?

Of course not, you can't do anything with 8 that you couldn't do with XP.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 04:16:30 AM »

Hello.

YES! that is the problem.
Windows 8 does NOTHING that XP can not.
So, Micro$oft is now in this campaign making it sound like XP is going to simply go away.
Windows 8 has features that nobody wants.
Sure, it can support dozens and dozens of cores, it needs it.
But, XP running on an 800 MHz machine is just as fast!
Run XP on a 1200 MHz machine, and it is FASTER!
That is the whole point, what is Micro$oft bringing the consumer?
Unlike a fancy sports car, computers are not sexy, so screw that.
Unlike a nice luxury car, computers are not a status symbol.
It is like an excavator, anybody can operate one, and although it might be impressive at first, when you realize that a wetback who can not even read in Spanish can run one well?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 04:40:35 AM »

Micro$oft came too late to the party, while they make good products they are also rans. The Surface hardware is very good but crippled by an OS that no one wants. Droid has a very strong hold on the tablet market and IOS is second, Win 8 is barely hanging on in he tablet world.

It will take some time to get some traction but it will get a foothold that will grow. Most likely looser will be Apple because it is not changing and evolving enough. I have a Win RT tablet and it blows Apple and Droid away. It just lacks apps.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 04:49:02 AM »

Hello.

So, Micro$oft is now in this campaign making it sound like XP is going to simply go away.
It is like an excavator, anybody can operate one, and although it might be impressive at first, when you realize that a wetback who can not even read in Spanish can run one well?

I see this a lot from people stuck in past and technology challenged. Hardware has changed and so has the web and technology. The only apps 8 will not run are old poorly written apps that XP tolerated because it fully supported old 16 bit Windows code and sloppy poorly written 32bit code.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »

Some time to gain traction??  Tell us another one.  They introduced Win 8, and the response was so bad they had to rush to introduce Win 8.1.  And the response still isn't there after months of giveaways and special favors to get people to accept it.

Win 8 and 8.1 is a flop, Microsoft isn't getting what they want--a dual purpose OS that runs on both platforms--and nobody (manufacturers) want Win 8.1 for their tablets or smartphone anyway.  Traditional systems are losing market share, but they're not disappearing--AND WON'T, not for a long, long time.  THAT is where Microsoft is strongest, and that's where they should have stayed instead of gambling on a loser of a dual purpose OS that is doing nothing but giving them a black eye that they may not recover from.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »

Hello.

I see this a lot from people stuck in past and technology challenged. Hardware has changed and so has the web and technology. The only apps 8 will not run are old poorly written apps that XP tolerated because it fully supported old 16 bit Windows code and sloppy poorly written 32bit code.

What a lot of crap.  8 obsoletes tons of useful hardware and software and people aren't standing for that kind of awful customer service any more.  I read a while back that the most popular option at Dell is not RAM or extra drive space, but the Windows 7 "downgrade."
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2014, 04:28:04 AM »

What a lot of crap.  8 obsoletes tons of useful hardware and software and people aren't standing for that kind of awful customer service any more.  I read a while back that the most popular option at Dell is not RAM or extra drive space, but the Windows 7 "downgrade."

Useful depends on a point of view. Yes, a 10 year old machine could be useful to someone. But I don't blame MS for moving forward and ending support for old stuff. If they had to keep code in Windows for all the old stuff, while useful for some, Windows would then be bigger, more bloated and actually less secure and useful in it's own right. A total re-write to accommodate old hardware doesn't make sense either. At some point MS should move on and if people want to run old useful hardware then they need to live with old operating systems or Linux.

Win 8 has sold over 200 Million licenses. If as a lot of people are saying, it's not wanted, that's a lot of licenses. Yes it's a bit behind Win 7 in says for the same time frame, but I doubt it's as big of a flop as people think. 

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »

Useful depends on a point of view. Yes, a 10 year old machine could be useful to someone. But I don't blame MS for moving forward and ending support for old stuff. If they had to keep code in Windows for all the old stuff, while useful for some, Windows would then be bigger, more bloated and actually less secure and useful in it's own right. A total re-write to accommodate old hardware doesn't make sense either. At some point MS should move on and if people want to run old useful hardware then they need to live with old operating systems or Linux.

Win 8 has sold over 200 Million licenses. If as a lot of people are saying, it's not wanted, that's a lot of licenses. Yes it's a bit behind Win 7 in says for the same time frame, but I doubt it's as big of a flop as people think. 

How many were downgrades to Windows 7? How many had to install "Classic Shell"? Do we know the number? Businesses find that Windows 8 is " disruptive to productivity and a needless cost that would require employee retraining". If consumers still want Windows 7 , read below.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246387/Microsoft_sets_Oct._31_as_stop_date_for_Windows_7_consumer_PC_sales

"Microsoft now notes that Oct. 31, 2014, is the end-of-sales date for new PCs equipped with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or Ultimate."

".... Microsoft will allow computer makers such as Lenovo, HP and Dell to continue selling PCs with Windows 7 Professional until at least February 2015."

"Windows 7 has become the standard version for businesses, which have spurned Windows 8, largely because of its two-user interface (UI) model, which they consider disruptive to productivity and a needless cost that would require employee retraining."

"Most analysts believe that Windows 7 will remain the most popular Microsoft operating system deployed by companies for years to come.

"There's a good chance that enterprises will stay on Windows 7 as long as possible," said Gartner analyst Michael Silver in an October 2013 interview. If his prediction turns out to be accurate, Windows 7 may reprise the stubborn persistence of Windows XP, the nearly-13-year-old OS that Microsoft will retire in April."

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2014, 06:05:30 AM »

How many were downgrades to Windows 7? How many had to install "Classic Shell"? Do we know the number? Businesses find that Windows 8 is " disruptive to productivity and a needless cost that would require employee retraining". If consumers still want Windows 7 , read below.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246387/Microsoft_sets_Oct._31_as_stop_date_for_Windows_7_consumer_PC_sales

"Microsoft now notes that Oct. 31, 2014, is the end-of-sales date for new PCs equipped with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or Ultimate."

".... Microsoft will allow computer makers such as Lenovo, HP and Dell to continue selling PCs with Windows 7 Professional until at least February 2015."

"Windows 7 has become the standard version for businesses, which have spurned Windows 8, largely because of its two-user interface (UI) model, which they consider disruptive to productivity and a needless cost that would require employee retraining."

"Most analysts believe that Windows 7 will remain the most popular Microsoft operating system deployed by companies for years to come.

"There's a good chance that enterprises will stay on Windows 7 as long as possible," said Gartner analyst Michael Silver in an October 2013 interview. If his prediction turns out to be accurate, Windows 7 may reprise the stubborn persistence of Windows XP, the nearly-13-year-old OS that Microsoft will retire in April."

That article is 4 months old and the quote from Gartner, who always is right?, is 8 months old. I know of several large companies that are adopting 8.1. The very large company I work for has both Win 7 and 8.1 as approved corporate laptop images. Companies will stay on 7, because it's still supported and easier than moving again. They probably recently just got to 7 after hanging on to XP for so long. 

I don't doubt that people will hang onto 7 also. I am using it on an older machine for my Ham Radio dedicated laptop. The laptop is too old for me to attempt Win 8 on and I don't want to go to Linux on it.

I wonder if most of the people who complain about Win 8 have actually used it? I don't mean walk up to a computer in Best Buy and check it out, I mean really use it. . . . I doubt it.

I was in the camp that complained about Win 8 and it's dumb Metro interface a year ago. I thought it was stupid for a laptop. I was at some company training last year (May 2013) and a guy was using Win 8. I asked him about it, told him the normal "Metro" complaint and he showed me his machine and how Win 8 had a normal desktop look that Win 7 has . . minus the start button. When I got home, later in 2013 I loaded Win 8 on my work laptop when my company started releasing Beta corporate images to early adopters. I found that actually using Win 8, I never had to look at a Metro app. Everything works like I expected with the exception of the start button/menu. I came to not miss the start button. The Windows key on the keyboard is actually useful bringing up the start screen. That didn't require any training. I am now on Win 8.1 on my work laptop and it's better and there is nothing about Win 7 that I miss being on 8.1.

Now that said, the Metro interface for apps is dumb for non-touch screen computers like laptops. I don't see the tiled start screen as a Metro thing, it's just a different start "menu".  It's easy to customize for the apps that I use. I took all the tiles away for things I don't use everyday and that pared down the start screen to a single non-scrolling screen and it's very fast to start programs. I find I don't have to wade through the Win 7 menu to find and start apps. It's faster than the Win 7 menu structure I think.

Before you call me a MS fanboy . . My home machine is a Mac running OSX. I also use Linux for a small special purpose virtual machine So I use/own 3 different operating systems. 

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:20 AM »

Of course not, you can't do anything with 8 that you couldn't do with XP.

there is a lot of software that used to run on XP, - that won't run under win_8.
- M$O 2003 is just one, & there are others, as XP had a simply huge software list.

each new M$ release needs another boost in hardware requirements,
so, win_8 will remove another pile of older hardware.
- you don't care?  neither does your local landfill, coz thats where it all goes.

and yeah - M$ has sold millions of copies, and so do the hardware suppliers that sell millions of PCs.
but - the new PC market has slowed, somewhat.

it's the upgrade market that doesn't like win_8
- you don't get a choice with your new PC. .. ..

My home machine is a Mac running OSX. I also use Linux for a small special purpose virtual machine So I use/own 3 different operating systems. 

which is how it should be.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:16:04 AM by VK6IS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: