Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 33356 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »

It has nothing to do with sloppy coding and everything to do with MS's arbitrary decisions.

A decision not to support proper code huh.  It is not MS job to support poor code compiling. It is a security risk too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »

It has nothing to do with sloppy coding and everything to do with MS's arbitrary decisions.

A decision not to support proper code huh.  It is not MS job to support poor code compiling. It is a security risk too.

There's nothing inherently bad with Win32.  Poor coding is possible in any language (if it's Turing complete).
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2014, 04:07:44 AM »

There's nothing inherently bad with Win32.  Poor coding is possible in any language (if it's Turing complete).

I agree it is just that XP was more tolerant of sloppy code and supported old 16 bit code too.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »

I agree it is just that XP was more tolerant of sloppy code and supported old 16 bit code too.

I'm a lot younger which ensures that I will get the last word, barring unforeseen accidents.  We can do this as long as you like.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »

I'm a lot younger which ensures that I will get the last word, barring unforeseen accidents.  We can do this as long as you like.

Yes I know you are young because you have history problems.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »

Yes I know you are young because you have history problems.

Would you like to point out any in particular or are you just blowing smoke?  I'd be happy to admit if I was in error, unlike some folks.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

I wonder. Do Microsoft software developers use touch-screen tablets to the write millions of line of code for WIndows 8.x  ? Or do they use real computers - desktops with conventional keyboards?

And wouldn't it be a hoot if MS developers use Linux systems  to do their job?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »

I wonder. Do Microsoft software developers use touch-screen tablets to the write millions of line of code for WIndows 8.x  ? Or do they use real computers - desktops with conventional keyboards?

And wouldn't it be a hoot if MS developers use Linux systems  to do their job?

A surface tablet with a clip on keyboard and mouse would work too. I really like my RT tablet.

KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

Some computer manufacturers such as Dell still give you the option of choosing between Win7 or Win8 when you buy a new computer.  Most of the stores that sell new computers will have Win8 as the operating system.  I am sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future.

Pay a new system price for a OS that is loosing full support in 7 months is kinda stupid. After 7 months their will be no updates or enhancements to Win 7 period. It will only have extended security fix updates and nothing more. I do not think many understand this.

Probably MS is keeping the price on Win 7 artificially high as they want everyone to go to Win 8.

I have a Vista home premium desktop, and a Win 8.1 laptop. My desktop can be upgraded to Win 7, for the same price as upgrading it to Win 8.

I don't have a touch screen, not paying for one either.

MS is going for the 'shove a new OS out the door' business model. We have become unpaid beta testers. We don't even get a free copy of the latesr Windows OS.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2014, 03:18:58 AM »

A surface tablet with a clip on keyboard and mouse would work too. I really like my RT tablet.

Yeah. That's pretty impressive. Microsoft finally figured out how to make an iPad.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:19 AM »

And it's only an RT as in overpriced Android, not a true Windows machine and cannot run x86 programs

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »

Yeah. That's pretty impressive. Microsoft finally figured out how to make an iPad.

Not at all. Show me split screen on a IPad, show me true multitasking on IPad,  show me USB and Mini HDMI support on IPad, show me micro SD slot to expand memory. Show me a OS that looks same on tablet and laptop. Apple has none of this and lacks many other things too. The IPad was a curiosity and only option at first but once compitition heated up IPad sales have been falling and still are. When Apple has to compete with completion they always loose long term because they lack vision to change. They are finally bringing out a bigger screen for IPhone but still has sucky OS.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »

Not at all. Show me split screen on a IPad, show me true multitasking on IPad,  show me USB and Mini HDMI support on IPad, show me micro SD slot to expand memory. Show me a OS that looks same on tablet and laptop. Apple has none of this and lacks many other things too. The IPad was a curiosity and only option at first but once compitition heated up IPad sales have been falling and still are. When Apple has to compete with completion they always loose long term because they lack vision to change. They are finally bringing out a bigger screen for IPhone but still has sucky OS.

Android has USB, Android has mini HDMI, Android has micro SD.
Why should you have the same GUI on a laptop as a tablet? No reason at all.
Why have the Metro interface when you could just as easily use the desktop GUI for touch (Just enlarge the icons, Win7 has an option for touch in it's control panel)
M0LUY's touch speech aid runs on XP so Microsoft have been trying and failing with touch for several years ( Remember Windows CE?)
As the designer of Metro said Windows 8 is a CONSUMER OS not a USER OS.
The thing I don't like is the Apple "Walled Garden" business model Microsoft have come out with.

For me I will not have a laptop. I'm using a desktop which gives me far more desk space than a laptop (Just a LCD monitor on top, the midi tower below)
When I'm at our caravan I use an Android pad

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »

Android has USB, Android has mini HDMI, Android has micro SD.

This is true but Apple which many drink the Appleaid for has none of these. Also 8 on tablet has great native printer support. Best of any of them

Why should you have the same GUI on a laptop as a tablet? No reason at all.
Why have the Metro interface when you could just as easily use the desktop GUI for touch (Just enlarge the icons, Win7 has an option for touch in it's control panel)
M0LUY's touch speech aid runs on XP so Microsoft have been trying and failing with touch for several years ( Remember Windows CE?)

They failed because they tried to use a modified mouse GUI and all baggage with it. Had 7 been like 8, Apple would not got a early foothold and product would be mature now. As far as Desktop like tablet it is excellent and transparent. No need to use 2 or 3 different OSes to cover bases.

As the designer of Metro said Windows 8 is a CONSUMER OS not a USER OS.
The thing I don't like is the Apple "Walled Garden" business model Microsoft have come out with.

No not walled like Apple. Full 8 runs all old apps and new ones that 7 will not unlike Apple that everything has to come thru their gate. Win RT is more restricted but most apps for it are free.

For me I will not have a laptop. I'm using a desktop which gives me far more desk space than a laptop (Just a LCD monitor on top, the midi tower below)
When I'm at our caravan I use an Android pad

Desktop is dying. You can put a tera byte drive in a laptop just as easy as a desktop these days too. As far as far more room a laptop takes up little more than a keyboard and is portable too if need be. In on room here I drive a 1600 x 900 21 inch flat panel monitor with a 10 inch netbook hooked to a wireless keyboard and mouse. I can grab netbook when I travel and have records and software for the road.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »

Seems like Microsoft is paying attention.  Their execs--in some news reports--are admitting that even though Win 8.1 upgrade is a stable, efficient operating system, that still what a flop Win8/8.1/8.1 upgrade was and is.  According to that report, Win 9 is going to have two separate systems that can and will be set-up to exchange any and all data.  One system will run on traditional computers/laptops and the other on tablets/smartphones.

Let's see if that is indeed the case--or if Microsoft will now blow its legs off instead of just shooting itself in the foot by continuing the major mistake that is the Win 8 family in Win 9.

Oh, and BTW, other reports are that Win 9 is going to come out much sooner than it was scheduled to and that it will look like Win 7--not Win 8.

Added--Info link:  http://mashable.com/2014/04/05/microsoft-windows-8-retreat/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:23:40 PM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: