Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 22213 times)
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »

Linux has less and less apps and is a down grade not a upgrade.

Not for the business community and that is where M$ strength is. You could easily run a business with a Linux only network and Pc's.

Windows 8.1 is not bad, I have played with it for hours/days/weeks, changed all the configurations and tried to blow it up. It does work and has a lot of options. The real problem for M$ is the business community is NOT jumping on the band wagon and will not for a while. Microsoft is at a cross roads, they have a product, a decent product that nobody wants. They have a tablet that nobody wants even though the hardware is top notch. They are vulnerable now for the first time in the history of the company. They lost their chip, no one knocked it off it just blew off from the wind when everyone passed them by.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:16:15 AM »

Unnecessarily  annoying, but "new".
And this post reads a lot better if you read it from bottom to top.
for a long time, doesn't make it "wrong" or "stuck" in the past.
In conclusion, making it different doesn't make it better and just because it's been "the same"
Yikes.
We went from "My Computer" to "Computer"  to "This Pc".
without having to re-learn or wonder "where did they move it now"
use the silly "new version of the OS"
And since it is a freaking interface there should be an option to
than to make it look new or different.
There is no "reason" from the user standpoint to redo the interface other
Here is what I think about windows 8
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:21 AM »

With Puppy Linux, you can run FLDigi and Xastir (APRS) very easily (and lots of other stuff). And NOT have to put up with the garbage of Windoze 8.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 05:24:26 AM »

With Puppy Linux, you can run FLDigi and Xastir (APRS) very easily (and lots of other stuff). And NOT have to put up with the garbage of Windoze 8.

I luv my win rt 8.1 tablet (which I am typing this on). Easy to use and transparently shares with win 8 laptop. None of this is possible with Linux or 7. You can move forward with technology or shift into reverse with Linux. While I am not a die hard blind MS fan it does have wide support in software and hardware.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »

...While I am not a die hard blind MS fan it does have wide support in software and hardware.

Jeesh, you could have fooled us all with the way you blow the horn for Microshaft and Windoze.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »

If you give 8.1 a try, you'll be satisfied.  If you give Win 7 a try, you'll be satisfied.  So, it is a win-win whichever way you go.

Dave
K3DCW

While I like and run Linux, that is one of the better thought out arguments for Windows I have seen in a while!  It is refreshing to not see yet another M$ Fanboy, but someone who actually thought it out!  THANK YOU!  I still like Linux better, and would always recommend it, but finally a decent discussion...  Again, thank you!

I run Windows 8.1, OS X and Linux here in my shack/home office and love them all.  Windows 8.1 is my primary ham radio OS simply because so much good software is written for it.  Linux is fun as well and while it is rock-solid and also has great ham radio software, I still use Linux primarily as a way to satisfy my need to tinker.  Finally, OS X is my "home" machine, where I do most of my "work". 

All three are good, all three have their strengths and weaknesses, and all three have a place in my shack/office.  If I had to choose only one for all-around use, it would be OS X. However, if I was looking at one OS to use for ham radio only, it would be Windows 8.1.  Fortunately I don't have to choose and I can run all three just fine; turf wars and eHam diatribes aside. 

Dave
K3DCW
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »

Some computer manufacturers such as Dell still give you the option of choosing between Win7 or Win8 when you buy a new computer.  Most of the stores that sell new computers will have Win8 as the operating system.  I am sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Yes, but Dell charges more for Win7 than they do for Win8.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

Some computer manufacturers such as Dell still give you the option of choosing between Win7 or Win8 when you buy a new computer.  Most of the stores that sell new computers will have Win8 as the operating system.  I am sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future.

Pay a new system price for a OS that is loosing full support in 7 months is kinda stupid. After 7 months their will be no updates or enhancements to Win 7 period. It will only have extended security fix updates and nothing more. I do not think many understand this.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »

Pay a new system price for a OS that is loosing full support in 7 months is kinda stupid. After 7 months their will be no updates or enhancements to Win 7 period. It will only have extended security fix updates and nothing more. I do not think many understand this.
I suspect most that are getting Win7, are looking for another long run like XP.  While I hope M$ does this, I doubt they will make the same mistake a second time...  They are having enough trouble getting people off of 7 now...  Smiley  I expect all of this jostling of OS's, will just up the number of folks using Linux.  Linux has really seen some improvements in the past two years...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »

I suspect most that are getting Win7, are looking for another long run like XP.  While I hope M$ does this, I doubt they will make the same mistake a second time...  They are having enough trouble getting people off of 7 now...  Smiley  I expect all of this jostling of OS's, will just up the number of folks using Linux.  Linux has really seen some improvements in the past two years...

I do not look for linux to gain anything in this. MS will kill 7 when it can because they are moving to a new environment. Those that cling to 7 like XP will fall behind and loose in end. Trouble is you cannot tell them, they will have to find out the hard way.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »

Microsoft will release Windows 9 on April 2015 and they are reportedly bringing back their traditional GUI which is what most of the public wants. Until then there is always Windows 7 which is supported until 2020. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

For what it's worth, Vista is supported till 2017. So you can always get a used Vista machine next to nothing these days and use it until Windows 9 comes out in 2015. Or get off the "Microsoft Upgrade Train" and go with Apple, Linux or Android.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »

Microsoft will release Windows 9 on April 2015 and they are reportedly bringing back their traditional GUI which is what most of the public wants. Until then there is always Windows 7 which is supported until 2020. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

What some old stuck in the mud types might want. It is not what I heard. 9 is going to be a tweaked 8 like 7 was tweaked vista. 10 will bring further changes. To back peddle would be a death sentence because 7 type GUI has no place it smart phone and tablet world. Apple got foot in door because MS should have made 7 more like 8

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »

I do not look for linux to gain anything in this. MS will kill 7 when it can because they are moving to a new environment. Those that cling to 7 like XP will fall behind and loose in end. Trouble is you cannot tell them, they will have to find out the hard way.
Linux has already made gains, and the folks wanting to run XP, and or 7, will probably get good service for the next few years, assuming they are very careful.  I reinstalled Windows XP on my Ham radio machine, then took a clone of it, and put the clone on a drive I keep around for recovery.  I keep my log on a linux box.  The XP machine uses the shared drive for logging etc...Works well.  If the windows XP box explodes, the log is in a safe linux machine, and I just recover the clone.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »

. Apple got foot in door because MS should have made 7 more like 8
The IPad was the best tablet and only got passed because of competition. Apple has always been a innovator and hopefully will continue to be now that Jobs has passed. Micro$oft has never been an innovator and because of that will never be a player in the tablet market even though their HW is very good. Ubuntu has a very viable OS for tablets that works well and could be a real competition for Android if the hw vendors adopt it. I have a Samsung Galaxy running Ubuntu tablet OS, smoother then Android, better memory management and very cool desktop (launcher).
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: