Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy Volt  (Read 2992 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »

A friend I have who is a sales manager at a large local dealer gave me a new Volt to drive for a week to shake it down and dig into it. He knows I get into new stuff and to see what it can do and how it works. He was impressed I knew more about car than they did. (I read/research a lot)  I have had a few people ask me about it so its some PR too. Anyway I am mostly quite impressed with car. VERY quiet and and solid feeling and great handing. Not like a scooter Prius.  Put 130 miles on it today and 83 miles on electric using about 18.5 kw. Based on my electric rates it costs abt 2 cents a mile to drive in electric mode.  I average about 46 miles on a charge which is 11kw usable on a 17kw 370 volt battery. It gets about 38 mpg on gas and most time you do not even know engine has started when cruising unless you look at dash display. Car is very quick if you push it and gets up to 80+ with ease. Very clean car for drag and no wind noise. I plan to try to hyper mile it on electric and gas and see what it will do. Do not have a clue yet if it is RFI friendly.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »

Cool car. I would be very surprised if it is at all compatible with mobile operation, other than possibly FM. As I'm sure you know, the other hybrids produce so much RFI that AM/SSB/CW operation is impossible. Good luck.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »

Hello.

The prius sounds like like rolling BPL.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »

A friend I have who is a sales manager at a large local dealer gave me a new Volt to drive for a week to shake it down and dig into it. He knows I get into new stuff and to see what it can do and how it works. He was impressed I knew more about car than they did. (I read/research a lot)  I have had a few people ask me about it so its some PR too. Anyway I am mostly quite impressed with car. VERY quiet and and solid feeling and great handing. Not like a scooter Prius.  Put 130 miles on it today and 83 miles on electric using about 18.5 kw. Based on my electric rates it costs abt 2 cents a mile to drive in electric mode.  I average about 46 miles on a charge which is 11kw usable on a 17kw 370 volt battery. It gets about 38 mpg on gas and most time you do not even know engine has started when cruising unless you look at dash display. Car is very quick if you push it and gets up to 80+ with ease. Very clean car for drag and no wind noise. I plan to try to hyper mile it on electric and gas and see what it will do. Do not have a clue yet if it is RFI friendly.

I like the idea of electric cars (clean air is a good thing), but one thing I worry about is how quiet they may be.  As a pedestrian i often rely on sound to tell me if something is coming.  i wonder if electric cars cause epic fails on the part of pedestrians sometimes in this regard   Huh  (in a related tangent -- i feel the proliferation of SUV's has made the roads less safe because they are so hard to see around if you are in a regular car and behind one -- or in a collison with one)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »

I like the idea of electric cars (clean air is a good thing), but one thing I worry about is how quiet they may be.  As a pedestrian i often rely on sound to tell me if something is coming.  i wonder if electric cars cause epic fails on the part of pedestrians sometimes in this regard   Huh  (in a related tangent -- i feel the proliferation of SUV's has made the roads less safe because they are so hard to see around if you are in a regular car and behind one -- or in a collison with one)

The volt has a automatic low speed beep you can turn on. It a big step but seriously considering it. It drives and handles excellent and no mushy Prius like brake or handling.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:32:29 AM »

I have a mental picture of a pedestrian in a parking lot with a bunch of Volts. All with low speed beep turned on.....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:20:02 AM »

Still playing with it. It is MPK or "miles per kilowatt" with a electric car. It averages about 4 MPK and you can get to 5 if you baby it. There is about 38 KW of energy in a gallon of gas so when you consider that you can see how inefficient a gas car is in converting energy to motion. a 38 mpg car is only getting 1 MPK. Based on living with it a electric car really shines in town on urban driving. On long highway trips I found it most efficient to use hold mode. In this mode it freezes average charge level at time of selection and will use engine to drive a generator needed and take extra power from battery when needed and will replace when there is surplus. Unlike a Prius that has very limited battery storage which cannot capture energy from long down grades the Volt can to use going up next hill. It weighs about 800 lbs more than a Prius too. It could use a more efficient engine for long trips as best I have done is 42 mpg in this mode but usually in upper 30's.  Word is GM is replacing engine with a direct injected Opel 3 cyl motor soon that is smaller, lighter, more efficient and makes about same HP too. Still its a very good design overall. I do think that electric battery and fuel cell cars are future.     

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »

Heard that they are now planning to charge electric vehicles on the fly via induction, through cables embedded in roadways!  Hope it won't create a lot of unwanted receiver noise.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:32:34 AM »

The idea of inductive charge is being looked at, true, but not in motion,
The idea is you can perk, and charge.
In Tokyo they call this an electric standing station, but it still plugs in.
Yes, this is the US gas version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZ2u5UnApA#t=85
In Japan, same basic idea, but electric, and the robot plugs in your car, leaving a cord connected, and leaves, to return when the car is charged.
The advantage of a wired connection is less losses, at least at this time.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

If you wanted to, you might be able to connect up a kilowatt vacuum tube linear to the car's high voltage battery, feeding the high voltage directly to the linear's B+.  No power supply needed?  And use the 12V battery for the heaters.  A mobile big gun.  Grin   Of course it might RFI the snot out of the car's electronics...   Sad
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »

If you wanted to, you might be able to connect up a kilowatt vacuum tube linear to the car's high voltage battery, feeding the high voltage directly to the linear's B+.  No power supply needed?  And use the 12V battery for the heaters.  A mobile big gun.  Grin   Of course it might RFI the snot out of the car's electronics...   Sad

Best thing I've read all day  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: