Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No outlook express in Windows 7  (Read 9969 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »

As far as I can see nothing goes via a Microsoft server. You fill in your POP/IMAP/SMTP details just the same as other mail clients and you do NOT need a Microsoft account to download it or use it.

Okay. I was under the impression from reading the info from Microsoft that your computer needed to be logged on to a Windows Live account in order to send or receive e-mail.
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »

AA4PB. It may. I never log out so haven't thought of it. :-)
But I do like the format it uses.

Rick ^i^
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

From some further reading on the Internet concerning Windows Live Mail it appears that they are sending advertising to your desktop, scanning e-mails for keywords in order to provide targeted ads, etc. If it's true, it sounds like Microsoft is becoming another Google. Anytime someone gives you something for free, look out!

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

From some further reading on the Internet concerning Windows Live Mail it appears that they are sending advertising to your desktop, scanning e-mails for keywords in order to provide targeted ads, etc. If it's true, it sounds like Microsoft is becoming another Google. Anytime someone gives you something for free, look out!

How do you think Facebook makes their money. They are super snoopers. Many are so nieve about this though.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »

targeted ads,
i get ads for radios,thats fine,,,but evening dresses!!?

about o e. did i not years ago do one click and open my mail?,,,w95,,w98,,?
now depending on the mood of my comp i do at least 9 clicks. i could make a list but it wants full email name, pass, then user name, pass. in between i get a ? that i can answer 2 ways so i do it different each time, no difference in results.
it seems we go backward with each advance!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »

Windows 7 Home Premium has one built in. From the start menu use the search at the bottom and type in  \Program Files\Windows Mail/ select the .exe file and it will install the in house mail client. It is very very similar to the old Outlook.

What it does is install Windows Live Mail.  It could be built in, but from my experience, it downloads it from the web.  Microsoft combined the outlook app, hotmail and other e-mail functions/programs into what is now Windows Live Mail, and yes, it is looking to be just like Google in what it snoops for.

It's simply (to me) another reason to avoid IE and WLM like the plague, just as you should avoid Google Chrome unless you reconfigure it not to snoop--something that can be done, but not easily.  With the way the shift to cloud computing is going, independent e-mail client programs are on their way out anyway--that's why those clients aren't being updated anymore. 

That's one reason Mozilla's offerings are my choice--but they also lend themselves to snooping.  That snooping just isn't as prevalent as the offerings from other clients.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »

I got a W7pro. computer cheap at Dayton to replace the rapidly deteriorating XP machine.  Lot of people recommended the Thunderbird so I went with that.  Seems to work OK for me.  The setup was simple, enter email address and password.  It went out and found the settings for the particular service. I wish it had a delete button like on OE.  So far the only way I know is to right click msg. and select delete.  But maybe I am not using it right as a newbie.  I have basic email needs so it suits me, for free.  Free is good.  No hassles.     
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »

I wish it had a delete button like on OE.  So far the only way I know is to right click msg. and select delete.

That's the method I use, and prefer; however, another way to delete a msg. is to highlight it (single-click on it instead of double-click as you would to view it) and hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard.  That puts the msg. in your "Trash" folder.  That's just about like IE as I recall (been years, though).

As for discontinuing updates to Thunderbird, the last two updates I received (presently at 24.5.0) included feature updates as well as security ones (not all of which I was happy with, by the way).  From my observation, there's no indication that T-bird is going anywhere.
Tom
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:42:35 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »

BTW, Thunderbird is no longer being actively developed or upgraded and has been that way for some time now. Its kinda a dead end of sorts.

Latest Version v.24.5.0, released: April 29, 2014.
Latest Beta v.30.0b1, released: May 9, 2014

Seems pretty active to me :-)

Rick KK4GGL
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »

No issues here with Thunderbird for the past three years running Windows 7 Enterprise.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: