Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Talkie.  (Read 13784 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »

Hello.

The VX-7r was made in Japan.
The Motorola Droid phone, made in USA.
The Motorola "K" series radios, for the EU market, made in Germany or Spain.
The K series are able to do AM or FM.
Note that assembled in the USA of domestic and foreign parts can mean popping the battery in.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 04:11:56 AM »

The Icom IC-2AT was my hamfest rig for years (decades, actually)... I could not kill that thing. It was always reliable.......
Yup.  I had the IC-2A.  Used it mobile connected to a PA and trunk antenna.  No memories. No keypad.  Just 3 little wheels for frequency control, and a switch on the back for 600 up or down.  That was it.  In those days you didn't have to pull off the road and get out the manual to switch to a differently repeater.  I used it so much that I wore the paint off of it around the PTT, and had to replace the BNC from connecting and unconnecting the coax.  Still have it nearly 35 years later.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »

Batteries are easily replaced by cracking old ones open by freezing in a fridge and hitting the dead battery with a rubber mallet.
For pre-assembled cells go to the following web page.

http://www.all-battery.com/72vnimhnicdbatterypackseries.aspx

there are lots of ready made pre-assembled packs available to re-cell hard to find batteries at all-battery.

Which pack fits the MPA battery?

KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »

Yaesu VX 170   7 years now, still wrkn. 
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »

I like my VX-8 because it's really rugged and waterproof, even if the AA pack sucks, and the UI is byzantine and unnecessarily complicated.  Out here in Oregon, you don't want your HT to fail if it gets wet.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »

I don.t think you want to be anywhere and your talkie fail if it gets wet!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 01:45:09 AM »

Probably why they invented double seal lock baggies with a small hole in the bottom corner for the rubber duck. Without the hole they will even keep a sponge dry when it's wet out.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:38 AM »

Hello.

Motorola markets this.
http://www.radioparts.com/motorola-hln9985b
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »

My fav was my first one-Kenwood TH-79a. When I got it new in 1995(that's also when I got my first ham license), I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. It died a few years ago so the Kenwood TH-F6a replaced it, and I still have the F6a.

That was also my first HT.  What a great rig for its time!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »

Probably why they invented double seal lock baggies with a small hole in the bottom corner for the rubber duck. Without the hole they will even keep a sponge dry when it's wet out.

Pretty hard to use a radio while it's inside a plastic bag.  To me the waterproof / submersible construction and APRS features are what are the most important in an HT.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »

Re: KE7TMA reply #39

Strange  Huh, for years we have operated all types of HTs in salt spray and heavy wet weather conditions that were inside baggies or the small clear plastic waste basket liners, sound a bit muffled but that's all.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

http://www.all-battery.com/72v2000mahnimhrechargeablebatterypackforwalkingrobotsandrcplanes.aspx

I have 4 of these in use for my MP-A rebuilds.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

Hello.

Almost everyone has at least one, a lot of hams started with one.
What is your all time favorite Talkie?
I really like the IC-32AT.
That was the first dual band talkie for hams.
But, what stands out as being your favorite?

My vote is for either the IC-2AT or the HTX-202.  The IC-2AT was built like a tank, short of not having a CTCSS encoder onboard, great radio.  The HTX-202 was a good radio for a new ham.  Only downfall in my opinion was it was difficult to get the back cover screws without striping them if you ever needed to change the internal battery.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Re: KE7TMA reply #39

Strange  Huh, for years we have operated all types of HTs in salt spray and heavy wet weather conditions that were inside baggies or the small clear plastic waste basket liners, sound a bit muffled but that's all.

Of course, I'm not saying that this was a poor choice.  It's just that nowadays, we have options including IPX8 submersible radios that can be used in all conditions that a human is likely to survive.  I really like my VX8 because I can rely on it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: