Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A good utc shack clock?  (Read 4371 times)
KB1PDG

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »

Anyone know of a good shack clock that displays utc along with USA time zones? Looked through the reviews here but didn't see any that looked that great to me. Thanks. KB1PDG
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »

Probably easiest to get multiple atomic (WWV) clocks if you want that many time zones. 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »

One of the more popular ones for ham use: Seiko Advanced Technology Multi Time Clock (with world Time Zone chart on base). Amazon now 49.99.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »

Use any to the Walgreens, Walmart, and others (Atomic Time) digital clocks. In addition to being synched with WWV for time accuracy they offer 12 and 24 hour time formats and multiple time zones one of which is generally tied to London (UTC). I have seen them for as little as $9.95 for a large clock. I use one in my shack that is set to UTC.

KF7CG
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:01 PM »

I found a vendor on Ebay who had large 24hr wall clocks for around $25.  He was located in Quebec.  No extra charges or problems with Customs.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »

I haven't seen any radio controlled clocks that can be set to UTC, other than one made by La Crosse. I used to have an Atomic Time clock that could display two times, and you could set it to UTC. Darn thing never worked right, one or both of the times wouldn't set correctly. I finally got rid of it and bought a standard style clock that shows calendar info along with time, BUT you can't set it to UTC. I use an ancient (circa 2000) MFJ clock to display UTC right now. I found it in a box where I'd put it after buying that Atomic Time clock.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »

Over on this side of the pond I bought two clocks from a local Chinese store that are locked to DCF77. Through the setup menu it's possible to set the hours figure +/- 12 Hr so one is set to UTC. Go hunting in the bargain stores in your area and I'm sure you will find one locked to WWV.

Peter DL8OV
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

I've used the digital clocks from MFJ.  They're actually two separate clocks with one set to the local time and the other to GMT. 

They can be set up in either the 12 or 24 hour format and both can be set up to switch between the date and time.

They are battery operated and inexpensive. 

The only downside to them is the fact that since they are two different clocks the time will not track perfectly.  But, they do stay within a reasonable spread.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

Hello.

This is the ideal use for a cheap old computer
I got a few LCD displays for free from a big box retailer, in essence TV sets, and have all the stats  on display.
Things like old digital picture frames can frequently be set to display time on screen saver.
This is all about taking the old and making it new again.
Enjoy!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 04:57:59 AM »

In addition to my LaCrosse atomic clock, I also use a really cheap ($10) travel clock set to 24 hour mode in UTC, but this is just as a quick reference since it does tend to be off by a minute or so after a few months.

The "real" clock is my computer clock. I added the UTC clock so all I have to do is mouse over the clock and I get both local and UTC.

The important thing is to keep your computer clock accurate. With Windows, you can sync your computer clock to an Internet clock. I noticed some time ago that the default Internet clock (time.windows.com) was not working and neither were any of the "nist" clocks. I finally found a program called "Karen's Time Sync" (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp) where you can select from any number of other Internet time sources. Once you find one that works, you can add that server to your computer's list of time servers and have it sync your clock at regular intervals. (Mine is set for once a week).

Making sure your computer clock is in sync is more important (to me anyway) than having an external clock since my logging program uses my computer's clock for its reference.
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »

The MFJ-108B is about $20. and is actually two digital clocks in one frame.  Very easy to set. 
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »

The MFJ-108B is about $20. and is actually two digital clocks in one frame.  Very easy to set. 

Hello.

Yes, and they contain 3 clocks within.
The first 2 operate in the normal manner.
But the 3rd is powered up what you first start to use it, and counts down  the warranty period!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »

I second the MFJ-108, I have had mine for 4 years now and works good for me. Just a bit small but easy to see setting on a desk. Still the same batteries in it, little button cells that you can get anywhere. Keeps pretty good time and easy to set.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »

I just use an ordinary clock set to UTC.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »

Update:  I too use the MFJ-108B.  During my previous post I was too lazy to run down to the shack for the model number. 

I'm responding again because of a previous post about "the third clock warranty countdown."

I've been using mine for over 10 years.  I've changed the batteries maybe 2 time, no more than 3.  Both clocks are still trucking right along!

MFJ gets a bum rap too many times.  Sometimes deserved....most of the time, not.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: