Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What ham radio BS have you heard?  (Read 22459 times)
N8LTD

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

There's alot of BS and myths in this hobby that are not necessarily true. Which good ones have you heard? Some of my favorites:

My license issued by the FCC gives me the right to set up antennas and transmit anywhere I want to.
Grounding everything will eliminate all your noise/QRM issues.
Sending a SASE with a QSL card insures you'll get one back.
Everyone in ham radio is friendly and helpful.
You're not a real ham if you're not on HF.
You're not a real ham if you don't make CW contacts.
You have to be vertical on 2 or 6m SSB.
VHF/UHF is for repeaters.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »

You have to have an SWR of one to one
Antennas have to be resonant to radiate
A resonant antenna has a low SWR
For a QSO to count for DXCC, you have to have a better report than '3 and 3' or '339'
An absorption wavemeter will tell you if your harmonics meet regulatory requirements
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:54:48 AM »

Internet ham radio sites are the best place to get the right help and information on this hobby.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »

I'm anxiously awaiting completion the Govt. sponsored ChemTrail program of dropping minute suspended metal particles into the atmosphere in order to make a dome over the earth to plug up present and prevent future holes in the Ozone layer. This is expected to be a boon for DXers due to the reflective properties of the metal particles which result in more and consistent skip zones world wide.
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »

Oops. I meant you have to be HORIZONTAL on 2 or 6 meter SSB. Smiley
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »

1) Commercial ham antenna and transceiver advertisements.

2) Higher is better.

3) Life's to short for QRP.

4) EnZEC says your antenna can't do this, that or the other although you have been doing this, that or the other for years with it.

5) Calling any class of an Amateur Radio learners permit a License.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:18:31 AM by W1JKA » Logged
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:55 AM »

If I don't tune to an exact multiple of 1KHz when on HF I'm off frequency
Rigs always transmit a perfect signal when the microphone gain control is at 100%
Rigs always transmit a perfect signal when the drive control is at 100%
A 100W HF rig can be 'tuned up' to output at least another 20W
The Crossed Field Antenna
If I shout into the microphone the DX station will hear me better
Having a florescent jacket and a hand held radio makes me important
My rig never drifts, it must be yours

Peter DL8OV
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

What ham radio BS have you heard?

>>>  14.313  <<<

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Oops. I meant you have to be HORIZONTAL on 2 or 6 meter SSB. Smiley

It is NOT BS if you actually plan to work many people. Running vertical antennas on V/UHF weak signal bands will automatically put you at a 20dB or more disadvantage to someone running something as simple as an omni loop or dipole. So in effect by running a vertical antenna you have just negated most of the antenna system and much of the power that the typical V/UHF big gun stations out there have installed.

This cross polarization is probably the #1 mistake that the typical DC_daylight radio owner makes when they flip the mode switch over to SSB on 6M and up and then don't find many people to work.

Here are some things that should be on the list:
1. VHF and UHF propagation is "line of sight".
2. Repeaters coming in from 100-150 miles away is a "band opening", nope, that's just a "local enhancement" to folks who do V/UHF weak signal work. The daily norm on V/UHF SSB/CW is 200-350 miles between stations each running 100-200W or more and HORIZONTAL antennas with boom lengths of 15-20 feet or more.
3. Just any old antenna is all you need on 6M to work the band when it is open, while partially true for the really big openings, you will not work MANY smaller openings, or any of the 200 mile no propagation stuff.
4. Turning on the RX preamp, or maximizing the RF-gain when there are high band noise levels will help you hear the weak signals better.
5. A full carrier AM signal at 10kHz wide is just fine, but an ESSB signal at 5kHz wide is a spectrum hog.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »

Grounding an antenna or tower will attract lightning to it so you are better off not to ground anything during a storm.

Placing the end of your coax in a glass jar will prevent it from arcing and causing a fire if hit by lightning.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »

A low SWR means I'm loud. (So does my wattmeter swing.)
A non-resonant antenna is almost worthless. (My signal is a lot weaker unless it's resonant.)
A tuner seriously degrades my signal; they're lossy. (Ditto for PL-259 connectors, 75 ohm coax, traps, etc. etc. etc. )
My signal is not wide, it HAS to be your receiver.
EZNEC displays wrong results with my antenna design. (Or, my antenna is special, it can't be modelled. Or, antenna modelling programs are all but worthless.)
My folded dipole (or loop, or [fill in the blank]) is a "quieter" antenna. (please tell us why)
My J-pole has no feedline radiation
Unplugging my coax and putting the end of it in a Mason jar in the corner of my shack will protect everything from a direct lightning hit.
.... ad infinitum ...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:35:48 PM by W0BTU » Logged

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

Oh, I forgot: any Double Bazooka dipole beats any other dipole. It not only boosts my signal, but it rejects noise!  Roll Eyes

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Those MFJ ads claiming their telescopic whip will give you a signal that can,"compete with the big guys." "You`ll have the strongest signal on the band." A 3kw tuner that can actually handle 3kw. Or their 90 watt dummy load that can,"handle a kw for 10 seconds." And my favorite lie? "The F.C.C. doesn`t enforce the rules anymore." Remember that one if they ever come knocking on your door.    Cheesy
WA4BCS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »

No-coders aren't real hams. They don't know electronics, just answers from the book. This code-free ham (I prefer that term rather than no-coder) only has 45 years of electronics experience. Will probably learn Morse code someday but now am working to get my Extra.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »

Hello.

I pretty much stay away from all of it.
But, a 500 watt rated globar resistor in transformer oil will indeed handle 1000 watts.
The easiest way is to put that resistor in a steel pipe that  has a SO, 239 mounted oil tight.
And, that can handle 5000 watts for at least 5 minutes.
So, 1000 watts for a 90 watt load for 10 seconds, sure, dunk it in lot of transformer oil!
And, yes, you do gain on VHF if both stations are doing the same polarity.
This even 1 kHz started with early military radios, some of what can only tune in 1 kHz when on the decade counter.
But, every one I ever saw has both a crystal option and/or VFO.
I like both the halo antenna and the vertical for VHF.
So, there is some truth to this and that.
Now 1000 watts on an MFJ?
How much transformer oil were they using?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: