Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO hijacking and repeater etiquette.  (Read 74584 times)
KD8DVR

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

Locally, there is this female truck driver, who is an amateur radio operator.(yeah.. duh)  This in and of itself is not a bad thing.

However...

Two people will be having a QSO on a local repeater, let's say, (actually based upon a true incident) discussing SDR radios.  This woman will break into the QSO and begin discussing her day of truck driving.  The other hams will attempt to continue discussing SDRs.  She will almost sound offended that these two guys are discussing SDRs, since she has neither the funds or knowledge of said type of radio.

This type of behavior happens on a daily basis!  I have noticed a definite drop in repeater usage in my area since she has come on the scene.  It doesn't matter what repeater you are on, she will find you. Beware!

Locally, there is this female truck driver, who is  a #hamradio operator.  This in and of itself is not a bad thing.

However...

Two people will be having a QSO on a local repeater, let's say, (actually based upon a true incident) discussing SDR radios.  This woman will break into the QSO and begin discussing her day of truck driving.  The other hams will attempt to continue discussing SDRs.  She will almost sound offended that these two guys are discussing SDRs, since she has no knowledge of said type of radio.  In many cases, she may simply make a smart-assed comment regarding the subject of the QSO, before hijacking the QSO on the next turn.

This type of behavior happens on a daily basis!  I have noticed a definite drop in repeater usage in my area since she has come on the scene.  It doesn't matter what repeater you are on, she will find you. Beware!

Repeater etiquette? What's that?

Remember:  Never enter a QSO, unless you have input directly related to the subject of said QSO.

All items presented here are personal opinion only and may or may not deviate from actual fact.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »

Use the universally recognized words for starting a war on CB.  "SHUT UP, STUPID!"  As a truck driver, she'll figure it out.

Some people are oblivious to their obnoxiousness.  They have to be directly confronted about it.

"Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."  -Spock
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:07:13 AM »

Some people are oblivious to their obnoxiousness.  They have to be directly confronted about it.

That is true.  If you're bored and want to play Dr. Phil, google some of those personality traits, and you'll see some pretty startling things......autism spectrum disorder traits, etc. 

We have a guy locally who would do they very same thing, until he was in effect censured.  I "think" there is a provision in Part 97 somewhere that states that a repeater control op (owner?) can legally tell a person to stop using his repeater and it's an enforceable deal.  Most of the time it revolves around violation of the hosting club's rules, whereas about the only thing 97 would stipulate would be along the lines of "decreasing the enjoyment of others", or something.  I may be way off, though.

A trucker is another deal, since he/she is mobiling through the repeater's coverage.

Dunno.

KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »

Haha!  I feel your pain, John!  In my area, we have a guy who has been a ham since going back to the 70's, at least.  His jobs often seem to have him traveling about the state and he has done a good job of making sure he has every single VHF and UHF repeater in the state programmed in his mobile radio.  He will frequently pop up on a local machine during one of those all-too-rare, really interesting, QSO's that might be going on between two or three hams. These are the rare QSO's that are so interesting and outside the norm that while you would like to ask questions or contribute, you don't dare, because you don't want to interrupt. 

Suddenly, out of the blue, comes W4MOUTH (obviously not an actual call sign) to "just say hi".   With one key of the mic, he destroyed a very interesting conversation and you can join and try to get it back on track but it is too late, the damage is done.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!   Why do people have to "just say hi", at those times?
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »

post da call sign of this "female trucker"

I get the odd feeling its a bootlegger...

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »

We had a guy here that practically shut our repeater down. Now there is something mentally wrong with this individual, but like most individuals with his handicap he knows the difference between right and wrong. He was no child. He at the time was in his 30's  Since he didn't work he would hang out on the repeater ALL DAY.  If anybody would ID he would pounce on them like a hungry tiger. I was having a conversation with another ham about amplifiers and he came in and started talking about Matchbox cars. If you don't acknowledge him,  he get upset like a spoiled child.  To add insult to injury he was trained to talk on the CB radio so he wanted to bring his bad CB habits up to the ham bands.  I started on the CB but I know how to behave on the ham bands.

This went on until the repeater owner decided the best bet was to move the repeater out of his range.  The thing that upsets me the most is that his father was the one who in my opinion gave him his ticket and just cut him loose on the bands.

Not cool!!!

Jaime-KA3NXN
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

I think some people need to record themselves,then listen. They mean well,but are not well by any means... Cheesy. We have a local who when id-ing,he starts talking before keying his mic,resulting in cutting off half his callsign. I`ve tried telling him. Another ham constantly says,"Um,um um"between words. Oh well.........
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »

I think some people need to record themselves,then listen. They mean well,but are not well by any means... Cheesy. We have a local who when id-ing,he starts talking before keying his mic,resulting in cutting off half his callsign. I`ve tried telling him. Another ham constantly says,"Um,um um"between words. Oh well.........

Yea, their name is Legion, isn't it?  :-)
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 05:02:58 AM »

LOL!  On the last one, I guess we all (myself included) do the occasional "uh" at times, but we have a drooler in my area who takes it to a new level.   About every third or fourth word is punctuated with, "Duh OWWWWW" or "OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".   Him and his XYL are always talking about how they don't have any food (yet they always have money for radios and antennas) and a lot of the locals fall for it hook, line, and sinker, giving him radios, fixing his radios when he does something stupid to break it, and buying dinner for him and his XYL when they go out to eat.  Dude is a  major poser, always going to join "SARCH AND RESCUE" or going to a local trade school so he can become an "electronic engineer".  Yeah right.  I have about as much potential for becoming a world renowned brain surgeon as this guy has of becoming an "electronic engineer".  Geeze, we now have the exact type of people that CB had in the late 70's.  Yep, our standards need to be raised a little closer to what they were a decade or so ago.   
KD8DVR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »

Definitely licensed ham.  Not gonna post calls.

All items presented here are personal opinion only and may or may not deviate from actual fact.
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »

I am fairly sure who you are mentioning, and she is an Extra Class, I have never heard her disrupt a qso and take off topic to far most of the time, in fact she seems to be very well respected in the local ham community here and has held a ham ticket for 20 years plus.
KD8DVR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »

I am fairly sure who you are mentioning, and she is an Extra Class, I have never heard her disrupt a qso and take off topic to far most of the time, in fact she seems to be very well respected in the local ham community here and has held a ham ticket for 20 years plus.

Well, typically she jumps into any and all QSOs and essentially dominates the QSO.... droning on and on and on about truck driving.... She may not have a single comment pertaining to what the others in the QSO were originally taking about.  I stay off the repeaters during the "at risk times'  Based on the lack of activity since she got back on the air here, in my opinion, she's been a contributing factor.

WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

220 mhz is a good place to go....occasionally if you get one you can't lose on 2m, 440 than 220 seems to be the answer.  Although most serious QSO's around here usually take place on 2m simplex.   
73 Greg
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

This behavior is not confined to repeaters but is also on HF.  Some even carry it one step further.  I am working a series of stations for a special event.  I exchange the information with a station and sign off with him only to be greeted by him calling CQ on the frequency.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: