Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXLab vs. Norton antivirus  (Read 7689 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »

Norton loses.  Angry

After it deleted updates to DXLab several times, I ripped out Norton and put in M$ Security Essentials.

Now the updates work.  Grin

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:51:57 AM »

Norton loses.  Angry

After it deleted updates to DXLab several times, I ripped out Norton and put in M$ Security Essentials.

Now the updates work.  Grin

Wx2s.

Try Free AVG.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »

What he said.  Definitely go with AVG. 
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »

Why?  Huh

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »

Microsoft Security Essentials only works for Vista and Windows 7 according to Microsoft's site.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

"Supported Operating System

Windows 7, Windows Vista

Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2)*; Windows 7*

For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
200 MB of available hard disk space.
An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
Internet Browser:

*Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials. Learn more about genuine Windows. "

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

I got rid of Norton years ago. Too heavy on system resources. I went with MS Security Essentials. Uses less resources and does the job just fine and it's free. All good things. The fact that it no longer supports XP, which is a un-supported operating system does not matter to me but I know it will matter to those who are using XP.

I tried AVG and other free ones years ago and none of them were to my satisfaction. Always had to display something, or make me click something. I wanted something that did it's job and was quiet about it. Not windows popping up saying click me because I just finished a scan. Do the job in the background and be quiet. MS SE does just that and does it well.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

I got rid of Norton years ago. Too heavy on system resources. I went with MS Security Essentials. Uses less resources and does the job just fine and it's free. All good things. The fact that it no longer supports XP, which is a un-supported operating system does not matter to me but I know it will matter to those who are using XP.

I tried AVG and other free ones years ago and none of them were to my satisfaction. Always had to display something, or make me click something. I wanted something that did it's job and was quiet about it. Not windows popping up saying click me because I just finished a scan. Do the job in the background and be quiet. MS SE does just that and does it well.

Actual Free AVG is one of better ones and you can disable notifications if you want but it is no big deal.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

I got rid of Norton years ago. I still have an XP machine that had Norton on it and it was deleted properly. Some programs won't load correctly because of the hooks Norton put in them..... Never again.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »

I got rid of Norton years ago. I still have an XP machine that had Norton on it and it was deleted properly. Some programs won't load correctly because of the hooks Norton put in them..... Never again.

Norton is bad about that but if you uninstall it properly it is okay. You cannot just delete it.

KC5EGR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »

My Norton is coming up for renewal soon, and the little ticks it's been giving lately have made me finally consider replacing it with one of the free antivirus programs.

Does anyone have experience with Avast Free AV, especially for use with Windows 7 Pro? I've heard a lot of positive feedback about it and was curious how it stacks up to AVG free. I use Avast Free on an ancient XP box, but it's not used enough to tell how it works under serious load.
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »

Why?  Huh

- WX2S

For one thing, it's free vs. whatever Norton costs.  A long time ago, Norton used to be one of the best virus scanners out there.  Now it's gotten big & bloated and tends to take up too much system resources.  AVG is smaller, easier on the CPU, and does the job just as well or better.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

My Norton is coming up for renewal soon, and the little ticks it's been giving lately have made me finally consider replacing it with one of the free antivirus programs.

Does anyone have experience with Avast Free AV, especially for use with Windows 7 Pro? I've heard a lot of positive feedback about it and was curious how it stacks up to AVG free. I use Avast Free on an ancient XP box, but it's not used enough to tell how it works under serious load.

Avast is not bad but AVG is a proven performer. I have been using it for about 7 years now and on all flavors of Windows through 8.1 and on Android too.

KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »

Bitdefender Free.......never know its there.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
There are hams that work DX, then there are serious DXers!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »

Avast was pretty good on my XP machine.  AVG about two years ago started crabbing and whistling about "buy this" and "Install the Malware Toolbar" and all that krep, so I went Avast and never looked back.

I'm happy with Kaspersky on the Win 8.1 box, but Chrome just outlawed the plug-ins, the dern fools. I hereby dub Chrome the new IE for getting in your way.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »

Microsoft Security Essentials only works for Vista and Windows 7 according to Microsoft's site.

Not exactly true!

From my XP machine:
Definitions created on       6/12/2014 at 1036 PM
Definitions Last updated    6/13/2014 at 9:30 PM
Virus Definition version:     1.175.2155.0
Spyware definition version 1.175.2155.0

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: