Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 via Bootcamp and Signalink USB dropouts.  (Read 5053 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »

I'm using HRD on Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro via Bootcamp. I'm having problems with 2 second dropouts that occur on both receive and transmit. I thought it was RF at first but I do have chokes on the cables and it's happening during receive as well. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »

I'm using HRD on Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro via Bootcamp. I'm having problems with 2 second dropouts that occur on both receive and transmit. I thought it was RF at first but I do have chokes on the cables and it's happening during receive as well. 

Likely a resource issue. If you need timing critical windows apps on you should get a real PC that will have more open hardware too. Windoze on a Mac is a PR thing, not a serious solution. Should look for native mac apps or like I said get a real PC

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »

It is quite possible that you need to mess with the buffer settings in Windows.  Another option is to raise the priority of the running Virtualbox instance.  Find the process ID of the running Vbox and then issue a 'sudo renice -10 <insert process ID>' and this might help.
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

I"m actually running Bootcamp which makes the Windows 7 a full fledged run of Windoz.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »

If you need timing critical windows apps on you should get a real PC that will have more open hardware too. Windoze on a Mac is a PR thing, not a serious solution. Should look for native mac apps or like I said get a real PC

Gotta throw the BS flag on this one: 

http://www.cnet.com/news/macbook-pro-declared-best-performing-windows-laptop/

http://www.imore.com/macbook-pro-best-performing-windows-laptop

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »

Take a look at the Windows volume control; right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select either "Recording devices" or "Playback devices".  Find the USB codec for the SignaLink USB and select "Properties".  Go to the Advanced tab, find the "Exclusive mode" section and deselect them both.  I can't guarantee this will help, but I've seen this fix problems on other Win7 installations.  Once your done and have saved/applied the settings, go to the other device (if you selected playback first, then go to the recording device, or vice versa) and do the same thing.  Reboot and see if that helps out at all.

FWIW, I run HRD under Windows 8.1 on a Mac Mini using Bootcamp with zero (zip, nada) issues with sound. Previously I ran the same with Win 7. 

Also, double check your connections between the SignaLink and rig and make sure your "delay" setting on the SignaLink is not causing "hanging" action by being set too long.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »

I"m actually running Bootcamp which makes the Windows 7 a full fledged run of Windoz.

Not really because it is on apple hardware that provides far less bang per buck than a real PC. If you wanted to run windows you would have gotten faster hardware for less money in PC world.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »

Not really because it is on apple hardware that provides far less bang per buck than a real PC. If you wanted to run windows you would have gotten faster hardware for less money in PC world.

Apple uses the same hardware as any other manufacturer these days.  My quad-core I7 processor, or my dual-core I5 are the same as in other PCs. The video chipsets, whether the HD4000 or the Nvidia chipset are the same as those used in PCs. The hard drives are the same.  The memory is the same (no need to buy expensive "Apple" memory, it is all the same).

Now, it is true that you can buy "PC" hardware cheaper, but I have never had a single issue with a single Mac (I have 5 now in my house, and have run as many as 9 or 10 at a time over the last decade).  Cheaper does not mean better. I'll pay for the build quality! (Except for RAM which I buy at normal prices) 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Take a look at the Windows volume control; right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select either "Recording devices" or "Playback devices".  Find the USB codec for the SignaLink USB and select "Properties".  Go to the Advanced tab, find the "Exclusive mode" section and deselect them both.  I can't guarantee this will help, but I've seen this fix problems on other Win7 installations.  Once your done and have saved/applied the settings, go to the other device (if you selected playback first, then go to the recording device, or vice versa) and do the same thing.  Reboot and see if that helps out at all.

FWIW, I run HRD under Windows 8.1 on a Mac Mini using Bootcamp with zero (zip, nada) issues with sound. Previously I ran the same with Win 7. 

Also, double check your connections between the SignaLink and rig and make sure your "delay" setting on the SignaLink is not causing "hanging" action by being set too long.

Dave
K3DCW

Ok I tried all of that and I'm still get these drop outs and now DM780 crashes when I transmit (after long use although I did restart once and right away it crashed on transmit. Very frustrating.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:18:43 AM »

Apple uses the same hardware as any other manufacturer these days.  My quad-core I7 processor, or my dual-core I5 are the same as in other PCs. The video chipsets, whether the HD4000 or the Nvidia chipset are the same as those used in PCs. The hard drives are the same.  The memory is the same (no need to buy expensive "Apple" memory, it is all the same).

Same in theory but not. It uses a custom dual BIOS motherboard so you have to use a expensive Apple built board and not like a PC that you can change or upgrade board on a whim. Also chipsets are not cutting edge either. They do not use the open hardware like a PC because it is a Apple first. Its a great marketing tool but not a real PC in critical timing apps.

Now, it is true that you can buy "PC" hardware cheaper, but I have never had a single issue with a single Mac (I have 5 now in my house, and have run as many as 9 or 10 at a time over the last decade).  Cheaper does not mean better. I'll pay for the build quality! (Except for RAM which I buy at normal prices) 

Lets see I have about 6 PC's in mine never any issues and never had to reload either. When properly configured on good hardware it is very solid Vista and above. You think you pay for better quality but parts built in China too. But unlike in PC world where you have many OEM's using latest chipset and hardware to make best in competition, Apple just builds it one way with older cheaper chip to make maximum profit. They make damn good koolaid that many get hooked on.

KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »

I'm going to try using Fldigi tonight on OSX. If it wasn't for the plethora of radio software on Windows only, I wouldn't have Windows anywhere near my beautiful Mac.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »

I'm going to try using Fldigi tonight on OSX. If it wasn't for the plethora of radio software on Windows only, I wouldn't have Windows anywhere near my beautiful Mac.

Fldigi runs like gangbusters on OS X (and Linux and Windows too).  If you run into problems, email me directly at (mycall) at ARRL.net, and I'll help however I can.

Also, look at joining the Linuxham group on Yahoo Groups.  Lots of OS X users there.  It is the official support mailing list for all of the FL* suite on both Linux and OS X.

There really is no reason to run Windows on a Mac.  I do so because...., well, because I love to tinker with multiple OS's and occasionally some short-sighted developer releases a Windows-only program into the ham world.

Primarily, I use Fldigi on OS X, with RUMlog for my logging software (they can "connect" to share freq/call/log info).  I also run WSJT-X on OS X when I feel like doing JT65 or JT9. For contesting, I LOVE both RUMped and SkookumLogger; don't miss N1MM at all.  There are some real quality programs on OS X for ham radio...you may find that you don't really need Windows.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

They make damn good koolaid that many get hooked on.

No koolaid drinking here; just an appreciation of a beautifully-crafted piece of hardware.  May not be the fastest, may not be the cheapest, but arguably it is the best-constructed and when combined with OS X, it is elegance in action.

Beautiful thing is that the world is full of choices. I don't denigrate your choice of OS or computer; you can get and use whatever you want that meets your needs. I also don't give two-bits what you think about Apple since you (apparently) would never even think about having one.  It is funny that the ones accusing others of drinking the koolaid are opposed so vehemently to something they've never tried. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »

just an appreciation of a beautifully-crafted piece of hardware. 

Amen to that.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »

just an appreciation of a beautifully-crafted piece of hardware. 

Amen to that.

Apple always made "pretty" devices to dazzle you with flash and make look past its short comings. Myself I have never been impressed with flash on a PC or a car. I look at how it performs, what is under hood, easy to work on and chassis. Apple pretty much fails me there on all four counts.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: